Sahib Shihab and the Danish Radio Jazz Group

Pim

Fred Thomas from Sam records is reissuing this great record. Originals go for insane prices and the Japanese reissues were pretty expensive too. This one is from the tapes. The Japanese I don’t know. I have great experience with Sam records. 

https://samrecords.fr/produit/sahib-shihab-and-the-danish-radio-jazz-group-oktav-1965/

1 minute ago, Eric said:

I guess I am a ridiculous jazz fan, but am totally drawn in by the cover and insert photos.  The time trackings seem a little light, but ... pre-ordered based on the sound samples!

I think you’ll like. It’s a pretty unique record if you ask me. Not free but definitely something else.

So this is a re-re-reissue (or more) - on vinyl alone? Which speaks for the record.

I bought a new copy of this record (like others, apart from the music and my faible for Scandinavian post-war jazz, I was drawn by the cover photo) in 2009.  This particular reissue really looks totally like I suppose an original would look - right down to the "feel" of the cover paper that very much matches that of typical 60s Scandinavian original LPs. The only detail that gives it away as a reissue is the small print of (C) (P) 2001 Oktav Music underneath the (probably true to the original) reference of (C) (P) 1965 Oktav Music and an "n(c)b" marker above the OKLP 111 catalog number on the red label.
Nice job - according to Discogs this must be the Japanese reissue mentioned in an earlier post. But it definitely does not look like a typical one. And I cannot imagine the cover being strangled by an OBI ... :D
and compared to the current asking prices on Discogs it was cheeep ... ;)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

• 3 months later...

Just got the Sam Records reissue, ordered direct from Paris. A lot of love has been put into this. Great music and pressing. Interesting to see Palle Mikkelborg in the trumpet section. Recommended. 

19 hours ago, soulpope said:

Always thought this is sounding like a mid60's NDR Jazzworkshop session ....

Don’t know how those sound but the Shihab record is very nice. Not a five star thing but definitely more than average. Worth having very well!

3 hours ago, OliverM said:

Enjoying this greatly, as well as the Heath brothers live record. Also like getting these directly at Fred's shop in my area and having a chat. Nice upcoming records too from what I hear!

Which ones did he mention? I know there’s a 1969 Mal Waldron trio session upcoming I a looking very much forward to.

1 minute ago, Pim said:

Don’t know how those sound but the Shihab record is very nice. Not a five star thing but definitely more than average. Worth having very well!

51. NDR Jazzworkshop 1967 "Finally Bengt..!" ....

On 3/8/2024 at 5:07 PM, Pim said:

Which ones did he mention? I know there’s a 1969 Mal Waldron trio session upcoming I a looking very much forward to.

Yes! This should be excellent. Around the period of the Free At Last record. Also heard about a Django Reinhardt 1953 record (The Great Artistry of ~) that would be in the Artisan series.

On 3/11/2024 at 7:22 AM, soulpope said:

Who's on b/dr .... ?

I didn't ask too many details, keeping some elements of surprise, so not sure. But I think it is a quartet date, and like often with Sam records was recorded in Paris. Maybe @Pim could make an educated guess based on this?

23 minutes ago, OliverM said:

I didn't ask too many details, keeping some elements of surprise, so not sure. But I think it is a quartet date, and like often with Sam records was recorded in Paris. Maybe @Pim could make an educated guess based on this?

Thnx for your feedback 👍 ....

8 hours ago, OliverM said:

I looked up the mail from Fred but I now see he did not give any details on format or personell. Mal was a very busy bee in those years, playing with so many musicians. I’d say chances are big it’s a trio date with some local musicians but it could be anything really :)

38 minutes ago, Pim said:

I looked up the mail from Fred but I now see he did not give any details on format or personell. Mal was a very busy bee in those years, playing with so many musicians. I’d say chances are big it’s a trio date with some local musicians but it could be anything really :)

With Mal Waldron's ability to bring the best out of (even local) players the expectations are as usual high ....

24 minutes ago, soulpope said:

With Mal Waldron's ability to bring the best out of (even local) players the expectations are as usual high ....

Definitely. Blood and Guts, Number Nineteen and Tokyo Bound are some great examples of Mal making excellent records with local musicians. 

28 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

True, though I'd argue that most of the players on those records already had or would soon develop very strong pedigrees on their own. Guy Hayat is probably the only sideman whose career seems a bit more obscure. Then again, he did play & make recordings with Bud Powell...

Dick van der Capellen wouldn't make too much sound otherwise either ....