For British Jazz fans

10 minutes ago, Roger Farbey said:

A new magnus opus by Richard Morton Jack is published in January and a looks fantastic read for those interested in the "Golden Age" of British jazz.

Labyrinth - British Jazz On Record 1960-75

more details from the elvinyl website here:

www.elvinyl.com

I'm spent up so I'll probably pass.

I had a look at the example pages. Some nice pictures of LPs but the text didn't seem to tell me anything that I didn't already know. Also seems to cover territory already addressed in 'Galactic Ramble', which I already have.

The first 100 copies come with a reproduced Michael Garrick poster. I assume these are already sold.

Edited by sidewinder

8 minutes ago, T.D. said:

Thanks for the info, looks like a terrific book.

Considering overseas (to USA) shipping, I'm not likely to purchase, but will consider it if there is generous informative text / prose in addition to the album covers.

Agreed it looks great, and agreed I'm not likely to ever pick it up due to cost and capacity (too many CD's/books/movies, too little space/time, money supply is finite).

17 hours ago, felser said:

Agreed it looks great, and agreed I'm not likely to ever pick it up due to cost and capacity (too many CD's/books/movies, too little space/time, money supply is finite).

Yeah, I've been trying to downsize (apart from CD buying) and coffee-table size books don't really fit into the scheme. 

I did order Duncan Heining's And Did Those Feet (it's en route) due to reasonable (DG) price and inclusion of 2 CDs, but don't know what I'll do with the book after reading it. 🤔

Edited by T.D.

I've had a copy of John Wickes "Innovations In British Jazz, Volume 1: 1960-1980" since 2000 (came with a Mike Osborne CD) - it probably covers music of the same period/material - much more info (325 pages) & lighter on the pics  - definitely not a coffee table book - essential reference text for me

May give this newbie a miss due to the crappy australian exchange rate & astronomical shipping costs to here

Good point - I've got a copy of the Wickes book. Photos are in black and white but there's lots of text and it is quite informative. The text could have used a bit more editing though. Don't remember it including an Osborne CD but I ended up getting it outside the UK.

The other one I have which covers this turf is called 'Simply Not Cricket', written by a French chap (!) and is a large format paperback. That one is mainly photos of album covers but it is pretty comprehensive.

Dread to think what the book would cost, including shipping, to Australia. £60 plus £10 shipping is pretty steep for here.

Edited by sidewinder

6 hours ago, sidewinder said:

The text could have used a bit more editing though. Don't remember it including an Osborne CD but I ended up getting it outside the UK.

Agreed regarding the text construction - has a scattered feel

The Osborne CD was "Shapes" (with Surman, Skidmore, Moholo, Miller & Freeman) & came in a plastic sleeve

• 4 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

me too. Figured it was "buy now, cry later."

My sentiments too. Based on other publications I have from RMJ this will no doubt be excellent. Just one limited run I think.

I eat my previous words !

Edited by sidewinder

I'm sticking to my "pass" decision unless the book materializes (presumably at a US vendor) with reasonable US shipping. Dusty Groove (my best hope in that regard) does not show it in their list of upcoming releases.

49 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

My sentiments too. Based on other publications I have from RMJ this will no doubt be excellent. Just one limited run I think.

I eat my previous words !

I'm deep into RMJ's latest book on Nick Drake, and even if you don't care for Drake's unusual style, it offers an excellent picture of the London Folk scene of the late 60s to early 70s. Joe Boyd is featured prominently throughout, including all of the artists involved in the Witchseason offshoot of Island Records.

RMJ tracked down and interviewed over 200 musicians and Cambridge friends of one the least talkative subjects for a biography that ever lived. Somehow, he managed to get over 500 pages (including footnotes) on an artist who only lived to be 26 years old.

https://bid.omegaauctions.co.uk/auction/lot/lot-69---the-mike-taylor-trio---trio-lp-original-uk-mono-copy---columbia-sx-6137/?lot=47041&so=0&st=&sto=0&au=149&ef=&et=&ic=False&sd=0&pp=48&pn=2&g=1

slightly OT but the BBC seems to be selling a lot of records such as this, the Mike Taylor trio. Maybe not so off topic as Richard has written extensively on Mike Taylor over the years. 

Sorry for the ridiculously long link there

On 12/4/2023 at 1:29 PM, Roger Farbey said:

A new magnus opus by Richard Morton Jack is published in January and looks a fantastic read for those interested in the "Golden Age" of British jazz.

Labyrinth - British Jazz On Record 1960-75

more details from the elvinyl website here:

www.elvinyl.com

420E36EF-65EE-4144-BBB7-B102AE1808B1.jpeg.4bcdd24ed5d0d26bdf442961fc2aa43b.jpeg

I'm not seeing anything.  Can anyone provide a link (to anywhere) about this?

Thanks!

3 hours ago, GA Russell said:

I'm not seeing anything.  Can anyone provide a link (to anywhere) about this?

Thanks!

https://theafterword.co.uk/labyrinth-british-jazz-on-record-1960-75-by-richard-morton-jack/

https://www.elvinyl.com/listings/3939843-books-for-sale?fbclid=IwAR0uPv70f2J92wnHy02Vzz_ynCr04fG1JBPKiDmZy0SNLATxWNm4SQ-VSvw

On 1/6/2024 at 5:52 AM, sgcim said:

I'm deep into RMJ's latest book on Nick Drake, and even if you don't care for Drake's unusual style, it offers an excellent picture of the London Folk scene of the late 60s to early 70s. Joe Boyd is featured prominently throughout, including all of the artists involved in the Witchseason offshoot of Island Records.

RMJ tracked down and interviewed over 200 musicians and Cambridge friends of one the least talkative subjects for a biography that ever lived. Somehow, he managed to get over 500 pages (including footnotes) on an artist who only lived to be 26 years old.

coincidently I just ordered

I've also sent a message to Honest Jon's asking if they intend to carry Labyrinth

Edited by romualdo

That very positive comment review by Colin Harper in the 'theafterword' link sounds very promising indeed !

Simon Spillet's comment is also priceless !

8 hours ago, romualdo said:

I've also sent a message to Honest Jon's asking if they intend to carry Labyrinth

It is possibly right up their street. They did stock the pricey 'Omniverse Sun Ra' so I guess there is hope.

Roll on shipment day !

12 hours ago, adh1907 said:

https://bid.omegaauctions.co.uk/auction/lot/lot-69---the-mike-taylor-trio---trio-lp-original-uk-mono-copy---columbia-sx-6137/?lot=47041&so=0&st=&sto=0&au=149&ef=&et=&ic=False&sd=0&pp=48&pn=2&g=1

slightly OT but the BBC seems to be selling a lot of records such as this, the Mike Taylor trio. Maybe not so off topic as Richard has written extensively on Mike Taylor over the years. 

Sorry for the ridiculously long link there

Interesting. I've heard that these items in the auction are duplicates from the BBC Music Library, which are no longer required. 'Trio' will fetch a high price I suspect.

Incidentally, RMJ did a great job on the booklet essay he did for the Mike Taylor LP he put out some years ago. Almost a small book in itself.

Edited by sidewinder

Still on the fence. No doubt it looks great but I'm unconvinced that what little text there appears to be is going to be too revelatory. If not it's just then a nice coffee table book of LP covers, nice enough but how often consulted