Philly Joe Jones live at Birdland #2 with no other than Bill Barron!!

romualdo

Fresh Sound have just released a further PJJ Birdland session but this time with a different sextet, including Bill Barron.

Unfortunately (for me) they've saddled it with a previously released Atlantic session (with the same lineup, recorded 10 months apart) "Philly Joe's Beat" (AFAIK It's only ever had Japanese CD releases). The Birdland session is short ie just over 28 mins.

ALBUM DETAILS

Sources:
Tracks #1-7, originally issued as "Philly Joe's Beat" (Atlantic SD-1340)
Tracks #8-12, are from an unreleased radio broadcast live at Birdland

Personnel:
Mike Downs, cornet; Bill Barron, tenor sax; Walter Davis Jr., piano; Paul Chambers, bass; Spansky DeBrest, bass on #8-12; Philly Joe Jones, drums.
Recorded in New York City, May 20, 1960 [#1-7] and March 18, 1961 [#8-12]
Total time: 65:31 min.

01. Salt Peanuts (Gillespie-Clarke) 6:17
02. Muse Rapture (John Hines) 6:04
03. Dear Old Stockholm (Traditional) 5:37
04. Two Bass Hit (Gillespie-Lewis) 4:37
05. Lori (Jimmy Garrison) 5:26
06. Got To Take Another Chance (Philly Joe Jones) 4:08
07. That’s Earl Brother (Gillespie-Brown-Fuller) 5:08
08. Two Bass Hit (Gillespie-Lewis) 6:14
09. Max Is Making Wax (Oscar Pettiford) 5:13
10. Bebe (Philly Joe Jones) 6:16
11. Salt Peanuts (Gillespie-Clarke) 7:02
12. The Theme (Blue ‘n’ Boogie) (Dizzy Gillespie) 3:50

I was going to say that this might be gut-check time for jsngrey, seeing as its with Bill Barron but he's also a dedicated opponent of Jordi's business model. But then I noticed the attached statement on the web page, (which I have never seen before on FreshSounds website and had to double check that it does not appear on the other Philly Joe release) so I guess that those of us in the States will have to wait for it to make its way into blog-land, and Jim won't have to choose between his principles and his love of Bill Barron. 

Screenshot 2023-12-12 063928.jpg

If one orders from the fresh sounds website over the internet was the cd "available for sale in the United States" even though it might be shipped to the United States? 

Note the difference in language with the limitation on this release, "does not ship outside Europe":

https://www.jazzarchief.nl/product/jazz-west-coast/

I'm not a native speaker but to me "not for sale in the US" just means you can't walk into the Tower Records on Times Square (or some other American icon) and hope to score a copy... Also, maybe better not resell it in the US. It doesn't say "not for sale to the US".

15 minutes ago, Niko said:

I'm not a native speaker but to me "not for sale in the US" just means you can't walk into the Tower Records on Times Square (or some other American icon) and hope to score a copy... Also, maybe better not resell it in the US. It doesn't say "not for sale to the US".

ah, interesting. Also, no more Tower Records in the US -- its NoHo/East Village location was pretty fun shopping back in the day. I also had good CD luck at the Northside Chicago one.

2 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

ah, interesting. Also, no more Tower Records in the US -- its NoHo/East Village location was pretty fun shopping back in the day. I also had good CD luck at the Northside Chicago one.

We had a great Tower Records on South Street in center city Philadelphia.  Three stories tall, plus separate annexes across the street for Classical and for books/movies.  Jazz was on the top floor of the main store.   I remember waiting breathlessly for the annual "all-label sale" plus each thrilling Blue Note reissue batch of CD releases.  Pre-and-early internet age, so you could walk in and find things you never knew existed.  They also later built one less than a mile from my house in King of Prussia right after I got married and bought our house, and that was so great to stop in weekly on the way home from work, get the new Pulse!  magazine, and browse the bins.   The heartbreak came when they hit financial difficulty due to their botched international expansion and changed their philosophy to stock and price just like any other blah suburban music chain store (new Britney Spears for $17.99, but no great new jazz reissues to be had) and stopped publishing Pulse! .  The store instantly became worthless to me.  By the time they physically closed the store, I hadn't visited there in many months, maybe even a couple years (I don't exactly remember).

8 minutes ago, felser said:

We had a great Tower Records on South Street in center city Philadelphia.  Three stories tall, plus separate annexes across the street for Classical and for books/movies.  Jazz was on the top floor of the main store.   I remember waiting breathlessly for the annual "all-label sale" plus each thrilling Blue Note reissue batch of CD releases.  Pre-and-early internet age, so you could walk in and find things you never knew existed.  They also later built one less than a mile from my house in King of Prussia right after I got married and bought our house, and that was so great to stop in weekly on the way home from work, get the new Pulse!  magazine, and browse the bins.   The heartbreak came when they hit financial difficulty due to their botched international expansion and changed their philosophy to stock and price just like any other blah suburban music chain store (new Britney Spears for $17.99, but no great new jazz reissues to be had) and stopped publishing Pulse! .  The store instantly became worthless to me.  By the time they physically closed the store, I hadn't visited there in many months, maybe even a couple years (I don't exactly remember).

felser, I saw the same thing happen to the Tower Records in Buckhead (an Atlanta neighborhood, near Lenox Square Mall). 

For the longest time, it was fantastic -- with an unbelievable selection.  But, as it wound down toward the end, the only thing that drew me in was their cheapie used vinyl section.  Even at the end, you could stumble across excellent LPs in those bins.

Back in the day, I worked nearby.  On Fridays, I usually would take a long lunch and dash to look at records.  Good memories. 

3 hours ago, felser said:

I was told that their biggest problem near the end was not their international expansion but instead a few bad business deals they made with some of the big labels. They agreed to buy large quantities of new titles (like that Britney Spears you mention) as well as quite a few expensive box sets, like the Miles Davis boxes with the metal spines, and they forced each location to stock some crazy number like 100 boxes. Because these boxes were expensive, they busted the local buyer's monthly budget for anything else and because these sat on the shelf, they couldn't order much of anything for months at a time. They forced the stores to stock stuff they couldn't sell fast enough.

Hope you will not kill me, but me here in the "outbacks" don´t really know about Bill Barron, and I have never heard the name of the cornet player. 

But as a musician I say  the set list would be a dream job for me, all them tunes I´ve played so often, and it is really "drummer´s tunes" which I like most anyway, and Philly Joe Jones  ´famous solo on "Salt Peanuts" from the Miles Davis LP was one of my first musical impressions as a kid. 

Philly Joe Jones was my hero. To bad somehow I never could see him live. 

To have Walter Davis, Paul or Spankey on bass, is also great. Spanky DeBrest was a very good bass player, kinda bebop type bass player .....