Whatever happened to Cassandra Wilson?

tranemonk

I saw Cassandra perform w Marvin Sewell and Jason Moran’s trio in February 2020. (Apparently one of JM’s early gigs was touring w CW in Japan.) She seemed powerful to me. Somewhat surprised that no Billie tunes were performed that evening given her album and Jason’s interest in BH. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here she is...

Fri, Jan 26 @ 8PM

prudential hall | betty wold johnson stage

The revolutionary 1960 album We Insist!: Max Roach’s Freedom Now Suite explored issues of social justice and racial inequality through the lens of jazz and poetry. In celebration of the centennial of Max Roach — drummer, bebop pioneer and civil rights activist — this landmark work is reimagined for today’s world. Musical director Nasheet Waits (of Max’s percussion ensemble M’Boom) is joined by vocalist Cassandra Wilson, poets Sonia Sanchez and Saul Williams, saxophonist Ravi Coltrane, pianist Nduduzo Makhathini and bassist Eric Revis. Experience the modern evolution of the Freedom Now Suite, a piece that continues to live, expand and inspire across generations. #MAXROACH100

3 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Here she is...

Fri, Jan 26 @ 8PM

The revolutionary 1960 album We Insist!: Max Roach’s Freedom Now Suite explored issues of social justice and racial inequality through the lens of jazz and poetry. In celebration of the centennial of Max Roach — drummer, bebop pioneer and civil rights activist — this landmark work is reimagined for today’s world. Musical director Nasheet Waits (of Max’s percussion ensemble M’Boom) is joined by vocalist Cassandra Wilson, poets Sonia Sanchez and Saul Williams, saxophonist Ravi Coltrane, pianist Nduduzo Makhathini and bassist Eric Revis. Experience the modern evolution of the Freedom Now Suite, a piece that continues to live, expand and inspire across generations. #MAXROACH100

I hope that's recorded

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Max is starting to get some push on his centennial, great!

Who driving it? I wish them all the best. 

Tyshawn Sorey's playing his interpretation of 'Members...' at the moment

4 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Here she is...

Fri, Jan 26 @ 8PM

Was Nasheet ever in M'Boom? Of course his father was a founding member...

3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

I hope that's recorded

Tyshawn Sorey's playing his interpretation of 'Members...' at the moment

Take Two: Tyshawn Sorey Reimagines Max Roach's 'Members, Don’t Git Weary'

hosted by Gilles Peterson

Wednesday, January 10th, 2024 

public records
233 Butler St, Brooklyn, NY 11217

7 PM Doors | 8 PM Show

$35 GA Advance | $45 GA Day of Show

Sold Out

Pique-nique and Winter Jazzfest present the musical shapeshifter and renowned drummer Tyshawn Sorey, performing Max Roach’s classic album 'Members, Don’t Git Weary'. Part of the "Take Two" deep-listening series, the evening will consist of an uninterrupted playback of the 1968 album followed by a live reinterpretation by Sorey and his sextet, connecting the dots between record culture and live music culture. Tyshawn’s ensemble includes highly acclaimed young musicians including trumpeter Adam O’Farrill, saxophonist Mark Shim, pianist Sullivan Fortner, and bassist Matt Brewer, plus guest vocalist Fay Victor. Tyshawn Sorey is a 2017 MacArthur Fellow known for his precision and inventiveness on the drum kit and an extraordinary ability to blend composition and improvisation. He has performed internationally with his own ensembles, as well as artists such as John Zorn, Vijay Iyer, and Roscoe Mitchell. We will pay homage to one of the all-time masters, Max Roach in his centennial year, and his 1968 album 'Members, Don’t Git Weary', which featured a new generation of future heavyweights; Gary Bartz, Charles Tolliver, Stanley Cowell, Jymie Merritt, and Andy Bey. Tolliver and Cowell would go on to form the seminal Strata-East label and in many ways this record embodies the template of that sound. Recently reissued on Gilles Peterson’s Arc Records, the DJ and broadcaster will present live liner notes at the top of the show and will DJ into the night to close it out.

On 1/5/2024 at 2:08 PM, kh1958 said:

Take Two: Tyshawn Sorey Reimagines Max Roach's 'Members, Don’t Git Weary'

hosted by Gilles Peterson

Wednesday, January 10th, 2024 

public records
233 Butler St, Brooklyn, NY 11217

7 PM Doors | 8 PM Show

$35 GA Advance | $45 GA Day of Show

Sold Out

Pique-nique and Winter Jazzfest present the musical shapeshifter and renowned drummer Tyshawn Sorey, performing Max Roach’s classic album 'Members, Don’t Git Weary'. Part of the "Take Two" deep-listening series, the evening will consist of an uninterrupted playback of the 1968 album followed by a live reinterpretation by Sorey and his sextet, connecting the dots between record culture and live music culture. Tyshawn’s ensemble includes highly acclaimed young musicians including trumpeter Adam O’Farrill, saxophonist Mark Shim, pianist Sullivan Fortner, and bassist Matt Brewer, plus guest vocalist Fay Victor. Tyshawn Sorey is a 2017 MacArthur Fellow known for his precision and inventiveness on the drum kit and an extraordinary ability to blend composition and improvisation. He has performed internationally with his own ensembles, as well as artists such as John Zorn, Vijay Iyer, and Roscoe Mitchell. We will pay homage to one of the all-time masters, Max Roach in his centennial year, and his 1968 album 'Members, Don’t Git Weary', which featured a new generation of future heavyweights; Gary Bartz, Charles Tolliver, Stanley Cowell, Jymie Merritt, and Andy Bey. Tolliver and Cowell would go on to form the seminal Strata-East label and in many ways this record embodies the template of that sound. Recently reissued on Gilles Peterson’s Arc Records, the DJ and broadcaster will present live liner notes at the top of the show and will DJ into the night to close it out.

Wow! Would I like to see THAT!

15 minutes ago, JSngry said:

It says that "Tyshawn’s ensemble includes highly acclaimed young musicians... " 

Mark Shim just turned 50. Matt Brewer is 40. Sullivan Fortner is 37.

Please advise. 

Their press agent mostly works for classical music-related groups?

I mean. I just turned 68, so, yeah, to me, 50 is young. But I've known the Max record since I was 23 or so. So if you're not trying to target my demographic or older...use the language accordingly, maybe, ok? 

I like it when young people do stuff and say "not for you" to old people. I'm ok with that. If I like it, I'm gonna like it anyway. 

I'm 66, so technically they're young to me, but calling 50, 40 and 37 "young" just doesn't sound right. 50 and (sometimes) 40 would be more commonly considered "middle-aged" in my experience. I'll call 37 "young", though. 😄

28 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Well of course it is. But is it good marketing fluff, that's the question... 

The show in question is sold out, so the authors can argue it's good fluff.

I looked up the venue out of curiosity (years ago I lived not far from there in Brooklyn - which has changed a great deal since then 🙂). Quoted capacity of the "Sound Room" is 200. Seems like a pretty good turnout for such a concert. Way more than I'd expect avant-garde classical, for instance, to draw.

40 minutes ago, T.D. said:

The show in question is sold out, so the authors can argue it's good fluff.

I looked up the venue out of curiosity (years ago I lived not far from there in Brooklyn - which has changed a great deal since then 🙂). Quoted capacity of the "Sound Room" is 200. Seems like a pretty good turnout for such a concert. Way more than I'd expect avant-garde classical, for instance, to draw.

Sorey easily sold out 150 capacity Cafe Oto for two separate performances on the same day recently, one piano solo the other in duet with pianist Pat Thomas.  I'm actually surprised they're not performimg in a larger venue, with the cachet of that album crossing over to a number of audiences and I'd see that selling well in London let alone home turf.  Either way, I'd love to be one of the 200

Edited by mjazzg

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

Sorey easily sold out 150 capacity Cafe Oto for two separate performances on the same day recently, one piano solo the other in duet with pianist Pat Thomas.  I'm actually surprised they're not performimg in a larger venue, with the cachet of that album crossing over to a number of audiences and I'd see that selling well in London let alone home turf.  Either way, I'd love to be one of the 200

I don't know the dynamics or economics of Brooklyn concert booking, but I'd think the Sorey event might have considered bigger venues. Roulette, only about a mile away, holds 400. The nearby Brooklyn Academy of Music spaces (whatever they call the main theater, plus whatever they now call the Majestic) are probably too large.

In my day (80s-early 90s), the Gowanus neighborhood where Sorey is appearing was far from appetizing. Not really dangerous, but bleak and scary...nervous trip by subway/foot and in those days taxis didn't want to go from Manhattan to Bklyn. Brooklyn has really gentrified since then.

Edited by T.D.

On 1/5/2024 at 10:33 AM, kh1958 said:

Here she is...

Fri, Jan 26 @ 8PM

Are you going? I'd love to get a review if you are.

On 1/7/2024 at 11:24 AM, T.D. said:

I don't know the dynamics or economics of Brooklyn concert booking, but I'd think the Sorey event might have considered bigger venues. Roulette, only about a mile away, holds 400. The nearby Brooklyn Academy of Music spaces (whatever they call the main theater, plus whatever they now call the Majestic) are probably too large.

In my day (80s-early 90s), the Gowanus neighborhood where Sorey is appearing was far from appetizing. Not really dangerous, but bleak and scary...nervous trip by subway/foot and in those days taxis didn't want to go from Manhattan to Bklyn. Brooklyn has really gentrified since then.

Public Records has a very different crowd from that of Roulette or BAM. Roulette also might've been booked. It's a Gilles Peterson event so I assume that's got a fair amount of pull and helped it sell out.