What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/5/2024 at 6:04 PM, Rabshakeh said:

Interested in knowing how you like the Webber one. I haven't listened yet.

Listened to it once and initial impressions are very positive. Not like her previous album except the writing comes across as having a depth and breadth not dissimilar to the big band disc.  The quintet sounds bigger than it's five parts. I like the use of synthesiser 

This seems more about harmony than the rhythmic focus of the small group disc of the previous set. There's a very involved theoretical explanation of what's she did to create the music but it went way over my head.

Well worth a listen but maybe not quite as original in sound, rather than approach, as all the theory suggests.

2 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Listened to it once and initial impressions are very positive. Not like her previous album except the writing comes across as having a depth and breadth not dissimilar to the big band disc.  The quintet sounds bigger than it's five parts. I like the use of synthesiser 

This seems more about harmony than the rhythmic focus of the small group disc of the previous set. There's a very involved theoretical explanation of what's she did to create the music but it went way over my head.

Well worth a listen but maybe not quite as original in sound, rather than approach, as all the theory suggests.

Thanks!

I have the individual albums, got this for the convenience of having all the hits in one place and the remastering.  She had probably the strongest top 40 run (qualitywise) of any artist in the mid-60's.

image.jpeg.ac7c320c5122e980ba33965df5647689.jpeg

Ancient Infinity Orchestra - River Of Light

Jiyu - Totem Of Quiet Mystic

Levon Eskenian and The Gurdjieff Ensemble - Zartir

Joe Harriiott - Movement/High Spirits

Charles Lloyd - Trios: Chapel

Charles Lloyd - Trios: Sacred Thread

And yesterday from my favourite record shop,

1964 French press of Pithecanthropus Erectus and 1962 UK press of George Russell - The Jazz Workshop.

Edited by mjazzg

41 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Tony Oxley Quintet - The Baptised Traveller [CBS/Realm LP]

At last!

Fine album. I have the same issue which isn't as iffy as other CBS pressings from that time. I was passing an Oxfam charity shop probably a decade ago and saw it in the window. Needless to say I parked up..

29 minutes ago, Clunky said:

Fine album. I have the same issue which isn't as iffy as other CBS pressings from that time. I was passing an Oxfam charity shop probably a decade ago and saw it in the window. Needless to say I parked up..

That was well spotted from the car. Always good to give to charity...

A couple CDs that I ordered today via Discogs:

ODItMTE2NC5qcGVn.jpeg

Sonora Ponceña - Musical Conquest (Conquista Musical) (Inca, 1976)

My5qcGVn.jpeg

Ganelin, Chekasin, Tarasov - Con Anima / Concerto Grosso (Golden Years of New Jazz)
CD reissue of two LPs originally released on Melodiya in the USSR; recorded in 1976 and 1978

Yesterday I intended to place a cdjapan order, had a cart ready in advance.

But I overlooked the time difference, and the coupon I intended to use had expired (midnight 1/15 Japanese time).

Oh well, I did save the money.

9 minutes ago, T.D. said:

Yesterday I intended to place a cdjapan order, had a cart ready in advance.

But I overlooked the time difference, and the coupon I intended to use had expired (midnight 1/15 Japanese time).

😵  Oh man.  That's a bummer.  

24 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

😵  Oh man.  That's a bummer.  

Not so bad. There'll be another coupon offer before too long. Risk is significant items from the cart selling out in the meantime. As a chronic fence-sitter, it happens. I'd spent a bunch of money before year-end and understandably hesitated.

11 hours ago, soulpope said:

I have already committed myself to this ❤️masterpiece❤️ ....

Yes!!! . . . I got lucky.  I stumbled across a copy at one of my favorite Discogs retailers, so I snapped it right up. 

Having the @soulpope seal of approval, it was a "can't miss" buy!  ;) 

On 1/15/2024 at 3:41 PM, mjazzg said:

Tony Oxley Quintet - The Baptised Traveller [CBS/Realm LP]

At last!

Believe it or not, I picked up a copy of that one a few years ago and have yet to give it a proper spin. Will resolve that forthwith !

On 1/15/2024 at 4:25 PM, Clunky said:

It's nice when you come across those CBS/Realm albums for half-way sensible prices. One of my favourites is the Frank Ricotti, which I came across in Mole's 'Collectors' rack for a sensible £20. That was a couple of decades ago though.