Chronological Calloway

mjzee

That would be great but a lot of important Basie is not on Columbia or RCA ( though a lot is).   Is it possible on any of the streaming services to make a public playlist that takes from the existing ones and adds to them? 

3 hours ago, Niko said:

On Spotify, you could do just that provided that everything you need is on there... (I guess it's the same on other services)

So you could do that with the Decca Ellingtons since Early Ellington seems to be there.  I think they also have some grey area European issues that might have some of the Pathes etc. 

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Listening to this now. First impression is that the band swings nicely, but the sound is, so far, very tinny.

Is this the best it can be? 

Oh, where can I get personnel details for these sessions? 

Personnel and recording dates are essential for me.  However if this is the way of the world, it would seem an opportune time to get the Benny Goodman (RCA and Columbia) catalogue remastered and released.

Sound quality improves as the set goes on, but...what label(s) did the first have or so of this collection?

I would like to know who was in this early Calloway band. I only know of the later band with Chu, Hinton, and all them. This band here is pretty solid in its own right! 

Presto mentions these musicians for vol 1:

Cab Calloway & His Orchestra, Charles L. Granata (director), Howard Fritzson (director), Cab Calloway & his Orchestra featuring Roy Smeck & Chuck Bullock, Roy Smeck, Chick Bullock, Arville Harris (alto saxophone, clarinet), Doc Cheatham (trumpet), Lammar Wright (trumpet), Edwin Swayzee (trumpet), Walter "Foots" Thomas (tenor saxophone, clarinet), Andrew Brown (bass clarinet, baritone saxophone, alto saxophone), Eddie Barefield (clarinet, baritone saxophone, alto saxophone), Cab Calloway (vocal, bandleader & vocals), Bennie Payne (piano), LeRoy Maxey (drums), Harry White (trombone), Morris White (banjo), De Priest Wheeler (trombone), The Mills Brothers & Cab Calloway with Don Redman & His Orchestra, The Mills Brothers, Cab Calloway and His Cotton Club Orchestra

https://adp.library.ucsb.edu/index.php/mastertalent/detail/103488/Calloway_Cab

Somebody will probably produce some notes for this pretty soon.

Edited by Stompin at the Savoy

7 minutes ago, Stompin at the Savoy said:

Presto mentions these musicians for vol 1:

Cab Calloway & His Orchestra, Charles L. Granata (director), Howard Fritzson (director), Cab Calloway & his Orchestra featuring Roy Smeck & Chuck Bullock, Roy Smeck, Chick Bullock, Arville Harris (alto saxophone, clarinet), Doc Cheatham (trumpet), Lammar Wright (trumpet), Edwin Swayzee (trumpet), Walter "Foots" Thomas (tenor saxophone, clarinet), Andrew Brown (bass clarinet, baritone saxophone, alto saxophone), Eddie Barefield (clarinet, baritone saxophone, alto saxophone), Cab Calloway (vocal, bandleader & vocals), Bennie Payne (piano), LeRoy Maxey (drums), Harry White (trombone), Morris White (banjo), De Priest Wheeler (trombone), The Mills Brothers & Cab Calloway with Don Redman & His Orchestra, The Mills Brothers, Cab Calloway and His Cotton Club Orchestra

Somebody will probably produce some otes for this pretty soon.

Ok, thanks! Foots Thomas is a known, as are Barefield, Cheatham and Wright. 

No bassist listed though, which is a shame. Whoever this is deserves full credit!

Some info here: https://musicbrainz.org/release/e7dc7e05-e4a0-4c51-a4c0-49356351abf1

https://musicbrainz.org/release/0f0affd0-c188-4ab2-bd65-6faedd76ff8d

https://musicbrainz.org/release/82691ba5-937b-4ccd-ac1a-4f6db6ed6bd1

https://musicbrainz.org/release/fc5cf04e-820c-408a-a60c-f61b44502dbc

(note: in the above entries from Chronological Classics and the JSP release, check the cover art, which often has very detailed discography)

Al Morgan plays bass on probably all of it.  Another player named Jimmy Smith may be on a few tracks.

Edited by Stompin at the Savoy

1 hour ago, Jim Duckworth said:

Cab Calloway started his orchestra by taking over the St. Louis band The Missourians who were an outstanding band and made some really good records on their own. I recommend them.

Ah, that probably explains the already deep group feel! 

On 2/4/2024 at 3:27 AM, JSngry said:

Al Morgan is a new name to me, and slap bass of that sort might not(?) have been spectacular by the standards of the day, but that one just leaped out at me for whatever reason.

Al Morgan!!! 

Putting a face to a name: 😉

Al Morgan was with the Condonites on various occasions in the early 40s (probably because he was a member of the Zutty Singleton trio at that time - Singleton is on drums in the first of the two C. Peterson pics below):

47052954wk.jpg

47052955xo.jpg

Edited by Big Beat Steve

On 2/3/2024 at 1:47 PM, medjuck said:

That would be great but a lot of important Basie is not on Columbia or RCA ( though a lot is).   Is it possible on any of the streaming services to make a public playlist that takes from the existing ones and adds to them? 

If I didn’t have to work for a living I’d absolutely make an effort to do this. These digital discographies of most jazz legends are a near complete clusterfuck and a lot of clean up is necessary. Good luck to anyone that makes the attempt. 

On 2/4/2024 at 5:28 PM, Jim Duckworth said:

Cab Calloway started his orchestra by taking over the St. Louis band The Missourians who were an outstanding band and made some really good records on their own. I recommend them.

I thought I had those Missourians sides on CD… but apparently not? Has Frog or Jazz Oracle or Retrieval or some such ever tackled that material? 

Edited by ghost of miles

2 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

I thought I had those Missourians sides on CD… but apparently not? Has Frog or Jazz Oracle or Retrieval or some such ever tackled that material? 

Discogs is your (tentative) friend: ;)

https://www.discogs.com/artist/1678801-The-Missourians?superFilter=Releases&subFilter=Compilations

One CD on VMP, one on JSP. But with almost total overlaps.

Edited by Big Beat Steve