Record Store Day - April 2024

Brad

On 4/25/2024 at 11:14 AM, Ken Dryden said:

That is correct. He discussed working with Jordi in the Zoom interview I did a few weeks ago.

I just got the new Downbeat and I felt the article about Zev Feldman was edited down for space too much, it deserved more.

I assume that's why Zev's non-Resonance Records releases are shipping from Europe on Bandcamp? It's weird though because I can get them from Importcds without the ridiculous shipping charges.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I picked up the Bernie Worrell - Waves From the WOOniverse. It is excellent. Wasn’t sure it would be good how since it’s other artists finishing unfinished Bernie songs, but I am pleasantly surprised to be wrong. 

On 4/25/2024 at 5:28 PM, sidewinder said:

Picked up straggler LP copies of two of the Sun Ra's (Elemental Chicago concerts plus the Strut) so that is me done for this year.

The store also had a second hand copy of David Meeker's 'Jazz in the Movies' book so added that one too.

All of the stores I visited seem to have sold their copies of the Bill Evans on Craft in super fast time.

If you mean ‘Everybody digs…’, Honest Jons seem to have copies for sale on line. I have a good OJC reissue so not going for this. Am tempted by the Amancio D’Silva reissue. Again, this is stocked by Honest Jon’s. 

39 minutes ago, adh1907 said:

If you mean ‘Everybody digs…’, Honest Jons seem to have copies for sale on line. I have a good OJC reissue so not going for this. Am tempted by the Amancio D’Silva reissue. Again, this is stocked by Honest Jon’s. 

Yes, I have an order in for the Amancio with HJs. Surprised that they still have the Bill Evans still in stock as it flew off the shelves everywhere else. Their stock of the Zev stuff seems limited to just the two Sun Ra's though - maybe there is more to come.

I have the Bill Evans on the big Riverside CD box but not otherwise on vinyl.

Edited by sidewinder

I got a replacement Lacy/Waldon set as my initial copy had a large arc shaped scratch on the B side( causing light clicks) . The replacement has a similar shaped mark although it doesn't affect the sound. Anyone else seen this issue with the Lacy/Waldron Mighty Warriors LP set. The sound quality incidentally is excellent and the performance as good as you might hope.

7 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I had the same issue with the Latest, large but light scratch, very audible across side 4.

Cue all the " serves you right for buying LPs" comments...😀

Lateef? Mine looks ok but you can see drag scuff marks. I'm never too bothered if the sound is good. Audiophile prices demand audiophile pressings....I'm still on the fence about the Rollins set. I think I'll stick to my CD order. The above issues don't persuade me that Elemental have QC sorted.

I haven't purchased many RSD vinyl releases but they haven't blown me away. I made the mistake of buying the RSD Sonny Clark LP set from a Discogs seller a few years ago then failed to listen to it promptly. When I tore open the outer wrap, I discovered a chip on the edge of one LP, close to but not in the playing surface. Since I had waited so long, there was no way to exchange it or get a refund, even though it was obviously damaged prior to being shipped from the factory, as there was no loose chip nor was there damage to the sleeve. The pressings haven't always been quiet which is troubling given the higher price of RSD vinyl.

Give me a CD any day...

2 hours ago, Clunky said:

Lateef? Mine looks ok but you can see drag scuff marks. I'm never too bothered if the sound is good. Audiophile prices demand audiophile pressings....I'm still on the fence about the Rollins set. I think I'll stick to my CD order. The above issues don't persuade me that Elemental have QC sorted.

Mine looked ok too, scratch wasn't obvious until I looked for it after hearing it. Soul Brother Records readily offered replacement 

36 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Mine looked ok too, scratch wasn't obvious until I looked for it after hearing it. Soul Brother Records readily offered replacement 

Good to hear. I had faultless and very friendly service from Rough Trade. 

Just a short post to say that I have received Amancio D'Silva 'Reflections' from Honest Jon's (overnight delivery - remarkable). It is a very good reissue - the white vinyl had me nervous but the sonics are good. Tony Higgins' notes are also very thorough and informative, including session reel photos.

As for the Zev/Elemental/Jazz Detective releases I have picked up this time - no problems noted with any of them, including the Lateef.

Edited by sidewinder

On 5/1/2024 at 9:07 AM, Ken Dryden said:

I haven't purchased many RSD vinyl releases but they haven't blown me away. I made the mistake of buying the RSD Sonny Clark LP set from a Discogs seller a few years ago then failed to listen to it promptly. When I tore open the outer wrap, I discovered a chip on the edge of one LP, close to but not in the playing surface. Since I had waited so long, there was no way to exchange it or get a refund, even though it was obviously damaged prior to being shipped from the factory, as there was no loose chip nor was there damage to the sleeve. The pressings haven't always been quiet which is troubling given the higher price of RSD vinyl.

Give me a CD any day...

Thank you for validating my stubbornness staying away from this vinyl biz... :)

2 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

I always have the nightmare that a sealed out of print boxed set that I have owned for a long time will have a defective or missing disc.

Some people on Hoffmann said they had received duplicate discs on the Tatum set. 

I received today the CD of Nat King Cole - Live at The Blue Note Chicago. I am very glad I purchased it.Will Friedwalds's liner notes are interesting and summarize well the highlights of the music. 

Edited by hopkins

Yes, I got mine a few days ago. Sound is decent and the music is great. John Collins and Lee Young (Lee is more felt than heard often, but still glad he's there!)!