Record Store Day - April 2024

Brad

Here’s the complete list for jazz although a few already have their own threads.

Cannonball Adderley Burnin' In Bordeaux: Live in France 1969 - Elemental Music 

Cannonball Adderley Poppin' In Paris: Live At L'Olympia 1972 - Elemental Music 

Monty Alexander Montreux Alexander: The Monty Alexander Trio - MPS

Chet Baker/Jack Sheldon In Perfect Harmony: The Lost Album - Jazz Detective

Brother Jack McDuff Ain't No Sunshine - Reel To Real

Nat King Cole Live At The Blue Note Chicago - Iconic Artists Group

Bill Evans Everybody Digs Bill Evans - Craft Recordings

Yusuf Lateef Atlantis Lullaby: The Concert From Avignon -Elemental Music

Shelly Manne Jazz From The Pacific Northwest - Reel To Real

Charles Mingus - Reincarnations - Candid

Charlie Parker Norman Granz' Jazz At The Philharmonic - Verve

Dave Pike The Doors of Perception - Nature Sounds

Sonny Rollins Freedom Weaver: The 1959 European Tour Recordings - Resonance

Sun Ra Pink Elephants on Parade - Modern Harmonic

Art Tatum Jewels In The Treasure Box: The 1953 Chicago Blue Jazz Club Recordings - Resonance 

Mal Waldron/Steve Lacy The Mighty Warrior: Live In Antwerp - Elemental Music

Various Artists Jazz Dispensary: The Freedom Sound! The People Arise - Craft Recordings

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the list. I'm hoping NONE of these are vinyl-only releases. I'm completely in on Sonny, Yusuf, and probably the Mal Waldron. The Nat Cole is an absolute.. Here's a little more info I found on that one.

https://desertlocalnews.com/news/index/view/nat-king-cole-live-at-the-blue-note-chicago-set-for-record-store-day-first-never-before-heard-live-collection-out-from-iconic-artists-group

30 minutes ago, tranemonk said:

Thanks for the list. I'm hoping NONE of these are vinyl-only releases. I'm completely in on Sonny, Yusuf, and probably the Mal Waldron. The Nat Cole is an absolute.. Here's a little more info I found on that one.

https://desertlocalnews.com/news/index/view/nat-king-cole-live-at-the-blue-note-chicago-set-for-record-store-day-first-never-before-heard-live-collection-out-from-iconic-artists-group

The RSD list also has the Nat King Cole as a cd release. I will have to check the others. 

Another Peanuts soundtrack is being released and I am all in for it! AFAIC, they could release every single cue from the animated specials and I'd buy every one of them!

Of the non-jazz titles, I'm seriously looking forward to The Birds, The Bees, The Monkees in mono and the Neil Young. I can't remember a previous time a RSD not only broke me, but also caused me to want to wait in line before the store opens!

Ok, Nat, live, quartet, 1953.

He had really just begun (relatively) to penetrate the mainstream pop market, but it definitely had begun. "Unforgettable" was 1952, and then "Pretend" hit in 1953. After that... 

This should be an interesting set, possibly quite transitional in terms of repertoire and presentation. I hope that they are able to include between-song patter, such as exists. 

I'm interested, for sure! 

Art Tatum Jewels In The Treasure Box: The 1953 Chicago Blue Jazz Club Recordings - Resonance 

This too was recorded at the Blue Note (the actual title is Jewels in the Treasure Box:  The 1953 Chicago Blue Note Jazz Club Recordings).  It is three cd's or three lp's of the Art Tatum Trio with Slam Stewart and Everett Barksdale.   

Edited by Jim Duckworth
clarification

1 hour ago, GA Russell said:

I picked up The Doors of Perception when it was brand new (because it was on the Vortex label!), and I've always liked it.

I'm very surprised to see it featured for a RSD.  I always considered it to be obscure, unknown and unappreciated.

This, pretty much. 

I missed the Shelley Manne Reel to Real release on my first scan. I think that and probably the Nat are top targets for me.

Uncertain of the McDuff due to uncertainty about the saxophonists listed. Would have been a no-brainer if Red Holloway was still in the band.

The Lateef is probably next but frankly, uncertain due to the year. If it had been archival from ten years earlier ...

12 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

I missed the Shelley Manne Reel to Real release on my first scan. I think that and probably the Nat are top targets for me.

Uncertain of the McDuff due to uncertainty about the saxophonists listed. Would have been a no-brainer if Red Holloway was still in the band.

The Lateef is probably next but frankly, uncertain due to the year. If it had been archival from ten years earlier ...

"Leading from the organ chair, McDuff is joined by Leo Johnson on tenor saxophone, flute and clarinet, Dave Young on tenor and soprano saxophone, Vinnie Corrao on guitar, and Ron Davis on drums." I read on lydialiebman.com on the same site, it says that the second LP of the Manne set has Hampton Hawes together with Frank Strozier...

8 minutes ago, Niko said:

"Leading from the organ chair, McDuff is joined by Leo Johnson on tenor saxophone, flute and clarinet, Dave Young on tenor and soprano saxophone, Vinnie Corrao on guitar, and Ron Davis on drums." I read on lydialiebman.com on the same site, it says that the second LP of the Manne set has Hampton Hawes together with Frank Strozier...

Wow. Is there a cd?

58 minutes ago, Niko said:

Dave Young? As in Indiana's Dave Young? I’m definitely in!!

In looking at the Elemental releases it only looks like the Baker/Sheldon and Sun Ra are getting cd releases.  There is also a Rosetta Tharpe record and that is getting a cd release. 

Edited by Brad

2 hours ago, Niko said:

https://home.nestor.minsk.by/jazz/index.html

This site says yes, there'll be a CD for both McDuff and (maybe even more interestingly) Manne

That is correct. Both cd for Manne and Brother Jack. 

4 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

As they almost universally issued cd in the past on RSD titles. . .it's possible they will list them soon. Or not. We'll see.

Let’s hope there are. 

The Resonance ones are also getting a cd release. 

This one got my attention after I looked at it more...

https://lydialiebman.com/index.php/2024/02/15/new-release-cannonball-adderley-burnin-in-bordeaux-live-in-france-1969-poppin-in-paris-live-at-lolympia-1972-record-store-day-exclusives-out-april-20-cd-digita/

This Record Store Day, Elemental Music will launch a pair of previously unreleased recordings by alto saxophone giant Cannonball Adderley, recorded Live in France. Burnin’ in Bordeaux (1969) and Poppin’ in Paris (1972), both special edition, double 180-gram LP sets will release exclusively for RSD on April 20, 2024. On April 26, the recordings will be available as deluxe, double CD sets, and digitally. 

30 minutes ago, tranemonk said:

This one got my attention after I looked at it more...

https://lydialiebman.com/index.php/2024/02/15/new-release-cannonball-adderley-burnin-in-bordeaux-live-in-france-1969-poppin-in-paris-live-at-lolympia-1972-record-store-day-exclusives-out-april-20-cd-digita/

This Record Store Day, Elemental Music will launch a pair of previously unreleased recordings by alto saxophone giant Cannonball Adderley, recorded Live in France. Burnin’ in Bordeaux (1969) and Poppin’ in Paris (1972), both special edition, double 180-gram LP sets will release exclusively for RSD on April 20, 2024. On April 26, the recordings will be available as deluxe, double CD sets, and digitally. 

I too am interested in both those, and am happy to see they mention cd sets, hopefully to be listed soon on their website.