What is Your Favorite Tommy Flanagan Trumpet Quartet Record?

Stevie Mclean

What is Your Favorite Tommy Flanagan Trumpet Quartet Record?  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I noticed that Tommy Flanagan shows up on a suspiciously large amount of my favorite trumpet quartet records. I think it could be interesting to see which one is the most popular along with just starting a discussion on why Tommy works so well on all of these wonderful recordings.

Personally I am torn between Quiet Kenny and The King and I, mostly for trumpet related reasons. However, I am undecided on which is my favorite for Tommy Flanagan related reasons.

Please let me know if I'm missing any, these are only the records that I am aware of (with a heavy 50's/60's bias).

Edited by Stevie Mclean

1 minute ago, Dan Gould said:

I voted for Quiet Kenny cause its a long-term favorite.

I'd have to listen again (and thanks for the excuse) to comment on what Flanagan brings to the table. It's just primo KD to me.

And you just can't beat primo KD... or regular KD for that matter.

Man I do love that KD record. I found it as a used Japanese issue CD so I don't know if the sound is extra special good compared to OJC but great tunes. For the thread topic I can only say that Flanagan shows why he was in demand.  He fits. He swings. He's part of the magic - but most of it comes from McKinley Dorham.

What I've never been sold on is the title ... its not trumpet fireworks but is "Quiet" really the best adjective? "Quiet" almost implies Blue Hour or Feelin' the Spirit level of ennui (or so I have heard, I don't buy it myself) but this is hard swing at a medium tempo: Percolatin' Kenny!

2 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Man I do love that KD record. I found it as a used Japanese issue CD so I don't know if the sound is extra special good compared to OJC but great tunes. For the thread topic I can only say that Flanagan shows why he was in demand.  He fits. He swings. He's part of the magic - but most of it comes from McKinley Dorham.

What I've never been sold on is the title ... its not trumpet fireworks but is "Quiet" really the best adjective? "Quiet" almost implies Blue Hour or Feelin' the Spirit level of ennui (or so I have heard, I don't buy it myself) but this is hard swing at a medium tempo: Percolatin' Kenny!

If you ever come across the XRCD of "Quiet Kenny", I remember it sounding much better than the OJC CD. This XRCD is made in Japan so maybe it has the same mastering as your Japanese CD.