Who's Jack Walrath?

tranemonk

Trumpeter who was part of the late Mingus crowd. Did some leader records in the late 70s and early 80s that must have sold reasonably because I see them everywhere. I am not sure why he dropped off after that. Other members will know more than me.

He was the trumpet player with Charles Mingus from 1974 until Mingus' death.

As a leader he has recorded numerous CDs, including a couple on the revived Blue Note. Here is his biography on the Blue Note site.

https://www.bluenote.com/artist/jack-walrath/

I've seen the band on the linked CD at Smalls and ordered it.

Edited by kh1958

Jack is a good guy and a great player, but certain events lead me to believe that his complaints about lack of recognition are pointed in the wrong direction. He does not respond to queries, and not just from me. Reminds me of what Roswell Rudd told me about Herbie Nichols; Ros thought Herbie's inability to get work was purely his own fault, for not taking care of business.

35 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Not everybody like the business. 

well, then they should leave it, or not complain that they don't get hired. In both instances I cited, the problem wasn't bad business practices but musicians who could not get their shi* together. In Walrath's case he was ignoring 2 major, high visibillity gigs that paid well.

Edited by AllenLowe

I’ve liked Walrath for awhile.  I have his first album, “Demons In Pursuit,” which featured Scofield.  I also saw his quintet in the village (NYC) which featured Kenny Drew Jr. on piano and David Fiuczynski on guitar, I think in the late ‘90’s.

Loved his work with Mingus, and when I saw MIngus Dynasty live in the early 90's at the Painted Bride Art Center, he was highly visible, seemed to be leading the gig that night, incredible performance (Walrath, Alex Foster, Michael Formanek, don't remember who the drummer was, and filling in (I believe for George Adams and Don Pullen) were Josh Redman (who was amazing that night) and John Hicks.  I have not been as happy with Walrath's leader work, which gets pretty quirky (and I can't stand David Fiuczynski on guitar).

12 hours ago, felser said:

Loved his work with Mingus, and when I saw MIngus Dynasty live in the early 90's at the Painted Bride Art Center, he was highly visible, seemed to be leading the gig that night, incredible performance (Walrath, Alex Foster, Michael Formanek, don't remember who the drummer was, and filling in (I believe for George Adams and Don Pullen) were Josh Redman (who was amazing that night) and John Hicks.

Hard to go wrong with John Hicks ....