Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted
10 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Any opinions on this box from 2008?

51pfhY3HihL.jpg

 

I wonder which "original masters" were used, and if the 1925-1926 tracks are pitch-corrected.

  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
7 hours ago, medjuck said:

How doe it compare to the earlier "long box" Columbia set?  Or is it the same?

It is the long box without the Lil Armstrong and Johnny Dodds Brunswick sessions

Posted

I'm getting really bewildered about the number of CD box sets of this material that were reissued from the Columbia "Long Box" of 2000 onwards (that was shown earlier in this thred).
But Clunky's post about this music on 78s and my experiences with surprisingly good fidelity on some 50s 10" reissues that I own (and that sometimes really hold their own IMO compared to the 1970s VSOP reissues on the French CBS twofers) reminds me of something that had crossed my mind a few days ago:
Maybe it's time to re-read the reviews of those early reissues in the 1950s issues of the "Bulletin du Hot Club de France"?  :D I have a complete run of these from 1950 until several years after the death of Hugues Panassié in 1974.
And I remember Panassié made a huge fuss for many years about the sonics that he actually found impaired on many vinyl reissues compared to the original 78s (not just on these Armstrongs but in general), leading him to caution readers to not easily discard their 78s. It might be interesting to see if these reviews provide any insight into about when the stagnation or dip in reissue fidelity occurred before the arrival of the reissues of the past 25 years. 

And BTW, does anyone have a definite word on which of these reissues from the year 200o onwards are pitch-correct throughout and which are not? I admit I find it hard to keep track of this right now. :unsure:

Posted
3 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

I'm getting really bewildered about the number of CD box sets of this material that were reissued from the Columbia "Long Box" of 2000 onwards (that was shown earlier in this thred).
But Clunky's post about this music on 78s and my experiences with surprisingly good fidelity on some 50s 10" reissues that I own (and that sometimes really hold their own IMO compared to the 1970s VSOP reissues on the French CBS twofers) reminds me of something that had crossed my mind a few days ago:
Maybe it's time to re-read the reviews of those early reissues in the 1950s issues of the "Bulletin du Hot Club de France"?  :D I have a complete run of these from 1950 until several years after the death of Hugues Panassié in 1974.
And I remember Panassié made a huge fuss for many years about the sonics that he actually found impaired on many vinyl reissues compared to the original 78s (not just on these Armstrongs but in general), leading him to caution readers to not easily discard their 78s. It might be interesting to see if these reviews provide any insight into about when the stagnation or dip in reissue fidelity occurred before the arrival of the reissues of the past 25 years. 

 

I mean yes, this would obviously be fantastic if someone was willing to do it. 

Posted (edited)

The "Long box" is really from 2002.

Honestly a lot of this may boil down to the debate of vinyl and digital. . . that Columbia box was mastered in some instances from new 78s pressed from original parts. . . and great attention was paid to the very best sources. I agree that some early LPs had great sound. . . never have heard original 78s. . . but on my system the digital masterings of this century sound better to me. Systems vary, often between vinyl and digital playback.

Whether anyone needs to chase the ultimate sound quallity of these is another question altogether, and one that is answered accurately only personally. Those 'fities LPs, those even earlier releases and re-pressings definitely get the music across and built the reputation. I think if there IS a bonafide "quality dip" over the years. . . record company decisions and evolving technology and the methodology of older and then newer engineers would be part an parcel.

Edited by jazzbo
Posted
On 7/8/2026 at 11:41 AM, jazzbo said:

I think John was referring to this one, not exactly new these days:

 

thoughts-on-this-box-set-v0-l8ss81ut7o9e

Yes, sorry.   The last 25 years have gone so fast that I have lost track of what is "new."

Posted
2 minutes ago, John L said:

Yes, sorry.   The last 25 years have gone so fast that I have lost track of what is "new."

I can relate to that! I date things by plotting their proximity to big life crises.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, jazzbo said:

The "Long box" is really from 2002.

 

Well it was apparently originally released in 2000. An edition also released in 2002.

Edited by jazzbo
Posted
18 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Well it was apparently originally released in 2000. An edition also released in 2002.

Mine is from 2000.

Posted (edited)

Exciting info in the new Mosaic Jazz Gazette:

"In addition to inquiries about the upcoming Louis Armstrong release we also have received inquiries on other early jazz sets we may be considering. While these 2 sets won’t be released for a couple of years we are in the process of sourcing the material:

Jelly Roll Morton: The Complete Early Recordings 1923–1927

Duke Ellington: The Complete Brunswick, Columbia, Victor & OKeh Recordings 1924–1929"

I hope I'll live to see those sets materialize 

 

 

Edited by J.A.W.
  • 3 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...