How's the weather?

"Raining, raining, raining, always bloody well raining..."

November was the wettest on record in the UK (with horrendous floods in Cumbria) - not bad for a country renowned for rain.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8389471.stm

Today both ponds are as full as possible and the ground looks waterlogged. I've never suffered from flooding here but two years back the centre of the town was under water just a mile away. No danger that I know of at present, but there are an unusually large number of puddles in the gravel! The frogs must be loving it.

Might start that ark.

November was the wettest on record in the UK (with horrendous floods in Cumbria) - not bad for a country renowned for rain.

Never known anything like the UK this November/December. It hasn't let up one bit.

It was good to get away to Toulouse for a week with clear skies, warmer conditions, no rain and an extra hour or so of light.

Getting back here was like returning to Mordor !

And yet after last night's storm it's a beautiful morning out there at the moment. And my pond is at least full and the newts are OK..

Edited by sidewinder

Never known anything like the UK this November/December. It hasn't let up one bit.

It was good to get away to Toulouse for a week with clear skies, warmer conditions, no rain and an extra hour or so of light.

Getting back here was like returning to Mordor !

And yet after last night's storm it's a beautiful morning out there at the moment. And my pond is at least full and the newts are OK..

Strangely enough in just two hours the sky has totally cleared - almost cloudless blue!

Don't trust it, though!

Cold and snowing in Buffalo.

Expecting a stretch of subfreezing days. Spent the afternoon working on an ice rink out front - first time in about 5 years I've set it up - but my oldest is a hockey nut.

The local ski resorts are making snow. Should be open this weekend.

All of the above to be followed with a :party::party::party:

The local ski resorts are making snow. Should be open this weekend.

All of the above to be followed with a :party::party::party:

That's the big silver lining in North America when you get the white stuff.

Enjoy !

As for us - the deluge is followed by fog and a freeze rolling in from Scandinavia this weekend. Totally sucks ! :ph34r: (hose-head)

Edited by sidewinder

When I worked on the railroad during the summers I was in college, the regulars had an expression they used to describe cold weather. They'd say it was "colder than a wedge." Well if a wedge can be cold right here in Portland, Oregon, it would be this week. Last night it was down to 15 degrees. Same thing tonight. For this neck of the woods, that's about as cold as it ever gets.

Edited by Dave James

• 4 weeks later...

It's snowed like I haven't seen in many years. We've had 6 inches in a couple of hours. We're all at home today - schools are shut and I couldn't get to work, the roads were that bad.

Quite - not seen it this bad for 20 years!

We only had a light dusting when I set out at 6.20 so I got in fine. But it came down non-stop from about 8.00. The school was shut at 12.00. Took nearly 2 hours to get home.

My, the trees look pretty, though!

Pictures????

Some nice ones here on the BBC News site:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8442877.stm

I got the magic call at 9.30 last night that we weren't expected in today. A golden opportunity to catch up on paperwork.

All the usual grumbling - why has the salt run out, why isn't my road clear etc. The Beeb wheeled out the 'why do the schools have to shut' 'controversy' again (as they annually wheel out the 'scandal that the GCSE pass rate had gone up/gone down'). They should have been sat in my heads office at 10.00 a.m. yesterday as angry parents demanded he shut the school and allow them to collect their kids (I expect he spent today fielding calls from angry parents about the place being shut). I've taught in this school for over 30 years and it's only been closed by the weather 6 times maximum!

We sure know how to make storms in teacups.

Edited by Bev Stapleton