How's the weather?

The northern third of Georgia is experiencing non-stop torrential rains (a foot or more in 24 hours) and flooding. We live just a few feet (literally) from the Eastern Subcontinental Divide, so we're fine on some of the highest ground in Atlanta, but people living in river and creek basins are in bad shape, and about half a dozen people have died. I usually have a long commute - 40 or 45 minutes, but it took me two hours to get home today - road after road was flooded.

And it's still raining.

Didn't Georgia experience a drought last year? What's going on down there?

Yes, we had drought conditions in 2008 and 2009 - lake levels way down, outdoor water use restrictions, farmers hurting, etc. The drought was officially declared over a few months ago, but it now seems like cosmic payback time. I blame myself - I played Son House's "Dry Spell Blues" and "High Water Everywhere" by Charlie Patton back to back a few days ago....

Fortunately, we on the south side "only" got about 7-8 inches over the past week....it is weird to see that bright thing in the sky after so very long.

Did you see how much Lake Lanier has gone up in the past few days??? We should reach full pool yet, if the Army Corp of Engineers doesn't find some reason to start draining for no good reason

http://lanier.uslakes.info/Level.asp

The northern third of Georgia is experiencing non-stop torrential rains (a foot or more in 24 hours) and flooding. We live just a few feet (literally) from the Eastern Subcontinental Divide, so we're fine on some of the highest ground in Atlanta, but people living in river and creek basins are in bad shape, and about half a dozen people have died. I usually have a long commute - 40 or 45 minutes, but it took me two hours to get home today - road after road was flooded.

And it's still raining.

Didn't Georgia experience a drought last year? What's going on down there?

Yes, we had drought conditions in 2008 and 2009 - lake levels way down, outdoor water use restrictions, farmers hurting, etc. The drought was officially declared over a few months ago, but it now seems like cosmic payback time. I blame myself - I played Son House's "Dry Spell Blues" and "High Water Everywhere" by Charlie Patton back to back a few days ago....

Fortunately, we on the south side "only" got about 7-8 inches over the past week....it is weird to see that bright thing in the sky after so very long.

Did you see how much Lake Lanier has gone up in the past few days??? We should reach full pool yet, if the Army Corp of Engineers doesn't find some reason to start draining for no good reason

http://lanier.uslakes.info/Level.asp

Foggy.

I think we may have dodged a bullet. They have been predicting 80'-90's this week, but it looks like it's gonna be MUCH cooler.

LOVE the fog!

I think you're right. They were saying last night that it was going to be a scorcher today, but I just went out and it was sunny and quite cool. I thank God I don't live inland!!! :rolleyes::):tup

Dark, with the forecast calling for conditions to remain dark overnight before slowly getting lighter again at dawn, followed by increasing lightness throughout the early morning hours tomorrow. Skies will be light through the day tomorrow, but look for increasing darkness again as evening approaches. We're likely to have another dark one tomorrow night.

September's been pretty much like August here -- although wetter and a bit more humid. But still dang warm. The water, too.

At 5:05 p.m. -- 102

CharlieBrownAaugh.jpg

Drive 250 miles to the North, Matthew.

At 10PM it'll still be 90 degrees.

Our low is 71.

The beach isn't that far away from your house and the afternoon sea breezes take care of the rest.

Count your blessings.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Fortunately, we on the south side "only" got about 7-8 inches over the past week....

Berigan, where do you stay at? (As we inner-city types say.) I'm in the Candler Park neighborhood, just around the corner from the Flying Biscuit, and a mile east of Little Five Points.

I stay at Jonesboro.....I ate at the Flying Biscuit, a long time ago...and I have been to Criminal records....does that make me cool??? :crazy:

Fortunately, we on the south side "only" got about 7-8 inches over the past week....

Berigan, where do you stay at? (As we inner-city types say.) I'm in the Candler Park neighborhood, just around the corner from the Flying Biscuit, and a mile east of Little Five Points.

I stay at Jonesboro.....I ate at the Flying Biscuit, a long time ago...and I have been to Criminal records....does that make me cool??? :crazy:

I am COOL! every time I post, it shows up twice! :excited:

Edited by BERIGAN

At 5:05 p.m. -- 102

CharlieBrownAaugh.jpg

Drive 250 miles to the North, Matthew.

At 10PM it'll still be 90 degrees.

Our low is 71.

The beach isn't that far away from your house and the afternoon sea breezes take care of the rest.

Count your blessings.

I actually live some miles east of L.A., in the dullest town in all of California -- heck, we look upon Norco & City of Industry as glamorous cities!