How's the weather?

Hot and dry. We're in an extreme drought according to the Nat'l Weather Service.

We're over 12" below on our rainfall for the year, and no prospects for making it up. Our lake, which is one of our primary water sources, is at 35% capacity. It's the second driest Jan-Jun timeframe on record here.

It sucks.

Hot and dry. We're in an extreme drought according to the Nat'l Weather Service.

We're over 12" below on our rainfall for the year, and no prospects for making it up. Our lake, which is one of our primary water sources, is at 35% capacity. It's the second driest Jan-Jun timeframe on record here.

It sucks.

Yikes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The northern third of Georgia is experiencing non-stop torrential rains (a foot or more in 24 hours) and flooding. We live just a few feet (literally) from the Eastern Subcontinental Divide, so we're fine on some of the highest ground in Atlanta, but people living in river and creek basins are in bad shape, and about half a dozen people have died. I usually have a long commute - 40 or 45 minutes, but it took me two hours to get home today - road after road was flooded.

And it's still raining.

The northern third of Georgia is experiencing non-stop torrential rains (a foot or more in 24 hours) and flooding. We live just a few feet (literally) from the Eastern Subcontinental Divide, so we're fine on some of the highest ground in Atlanta, but people living in river and creek basins are in bad shape, and about half a dozen people have died. I usually have a long commute - 40 or 45 minutes, but it took me two hours to get home today - road after road was flooded.

And it's still raining.

Didn't Georgia experience a drought last year? What's going on down there?

And it's still raining.

Didn't Georgia experience a drought last year? What's going on down there?

Yes, we had drought conditions in 2008 and 2009 - lake levels way down, outdoor water use restrictions, farmers hurting, etc. The drought was officially declared over a few months ago, but it now seems like cosmic payback time. I blame myself - I played Son House's "Dry Spell Blues" and "High Water Everywhere" by Charlie Patton back to back a few days ago....