• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've never been a big Chu Berry fan.

(Shaking head): Paul, Paul, Paul.... :)

Okay - if folks can enlighten me as to what I'm missing, my ears are open.

If nothing else, incredible fluidity/fluency of execution and superbly full & even tone in all registers. Chu Berry played without hesitation, intellectually or physically. Remarkable even today, but especially so then, in light of the relative "newness" of the instrument, not just to "jazz", but to music as a whole.

That much is objective. Everything else, subjective.

chu_berry-the_calloway_years_-_1937-1941510B8tDSFNL._SX300_.jpg

Chu Berry - The Calloway Years (Meritt)

and record two, the Chu Berry recordings from:

The Commodore Years - The Tenor Sax (Atlantic)

I appreciate Paul prodding me to listen to some Chu tonight and reexamine what I love about his playing. I sent him some thoughts about Chu privately, but I'll add here: listen again to "Gee Baby, Ain't I Good to You" from that Commodore album. Chu's solo is sophisticated and exploratory, but it doesn't sound much like Hawkins, to my ears. Leon Berry was his own man.

500x500.jpg

That Columbia University group plays the shit out of Echoi!

I've never seen that album before - I know Time Cycle, but not Echoi. And I know a Larry Rivers portrait when I see one. Cool!

500x500.jpg

That Columbia University group plays the shit out of Echoi!

That inspired me to pull out the version on Wergo. Different players, but also features a well-known composer on piano, this time Lukas Foss himself.

2078897.jpg

The copy I found is pretty noisy, and apparently it's a rare-ish item, but seriously, the group that plays Echoi is in a zone. Superb execution is one thing (and the group on Time Cycle gets to that point). But these other cats go past that and bring that "fully engaged RIGHT NOW" feeling that only the best musics have.

A cleaner copy at a higher price would definitely be something I'd consider, I think it's that good.

I've never been a big Chu Berry fan.

(Shaking head): Paul, Paul, Paul.... :)

Okay - if folks can enlighten me as to what I'm missing, my ears are open.

If nothing else, incredible fluidity/fluency of execution and superbly full & even tone in all registers. Chu Berry played without hesitation, intellectually or physically. Remarkable even today, but especially so then, in light of the relative "newness" of the instrument, not just to "jazz", but to music as a whole.

That much is objective. Everything else, subjective.

Thanks for your feedback, Jim. I'll do some more listening.

Jeff sent me a PM which he gave me permission to post here. I'll do that in hopes that others might pick up some ideas about Chu Berry:

Jeffery's Essay on Chu Berry:

Chu was Coleman Hawkins disciple, but he was a lesser mortal - he was not a near-genius like Hawk. But he had his own voice, and there were areas in which he perhaps exceeded his idol.

First of all, Berry was the most technically accomplished tenor saxophonist in jazz after Hawkins. He had a beautiful, round sound, "prettier" than Hawk's, but with plenty of fullness and body. And that fullness extended through the entire range of the horn, from the lowest notes to the altissimo register. And he was perhaps the first master of the altissimo register in jazz; he effortlessly took his lines above the "normal" range of the horn in a way that Hawkins never did. He didn't use that register that often, but he never used it as a novelty - his high notes didn't sound like "freak" notes, they sounded like all his other notes. He used the altissimo register in the same way Steve Lacy did later - melodically - not like Illinois Jacquet did, to create excitement.

But his technical mastery of the horn wouldn't matter if he didn't have a story to tell. Chu's improvising doesn't have Hawkins' harmonic sophistication (no one but Art Tatum could match Hawk's grasp of harmony in the 1930s), but in some ways, it's more "modern." Berry had a more linear, melodic approach than Hawkins; it reminds me of Benny Carter. I don't know if Berry was influenced by Carter, but Chu often plays similar long-lined melodies, which often contain striking, unusual note choices. And at his best, he often constructs asymmetrical phrases which flow over the regular divisions of the tune.

Have you heard Berry's solo feature with Cab Calloway, "Ghost of a Chance?" It's one of the great big-band saxophone features in recorded jazz. When I wanted to hear it tonight, I had a choice of hearing it on LP or 78. (I don't have it on CD.) I chose the 78, because Chu's sound is so "present." The record is the best illustration of his mastery of the altissimo register, but it's more than that - it's a continually inventive variation/improvisation on that tune. If you haven't heard it, track it down on the web - it's worth your time.

And Berry was only in his early 30s when he died. I would love to hear how he would have sounded 10 or 15 years later.

And later: here's a sentence I wish I had added to my "essay." Hawkins often sounds like he is (brilliantly) running chords, while Chu is playing lines.