Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

Now: Oliver Nelson, disc 3 (the Lunceford song with Shirley Scott is great!)

disc 4 - the Kenney stuff is weird, but now Russell is wailing! (Well, stuttering, muttering...)

Went straight to the end with it yesterday - great one! The album with Pee Wee Russell is a highlight!

The organ stuff with Smith is great, that very first number off "Bashin'" is amazing! How it builds with the big band and lays out a mostrously grooving carpet for Smith to enter - and then, BANG! here he is!

Still I regret a bit having bits and pieces of various albums... (at least I have that Ray Brown/Milt Jackson twofer to complete that album, and of course also "Bashin'" - of the Smith/Wes material I only have the VME of the first album, never had the second...)

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Herbie Nichols--Complete Blue Note, Side V

He really was the bridge between Monk and Andrew Hill I needed. But he is also so much more than that. One tune he'll flash through complex runs I had only heard in bop from early Bud Powell, and the next he's trudging around some minor beat like Monk. If only he hadn't died so young... :(

J.J. Johnson: The Complete Columbia Small Group Sessions (discs 1 and 2)

This is beautiful music: superbly arranged by J.J. (he is one of the masters of small group arranging, his charts for two horns and rhythm are nothing short of perfect), flawlessly executed and always swinging. This is music you can lsiten to again and again.

I don't DISLIKE it, but I'm not over the hill excited about as many here seem to be. It just doesn't do "that" for me. That's cool, I like it, I've listened to most of these albums over the years with interest and the set is a very good one. . . but not one of my very favorite Mosaics.

g55153k52jo.jpgFarmer/Golson/Jazztet Mosaic - Discs 2, 3 and 4.

I have to say I'm quite impressed with this set so far. I've never been a big fan of Art Farmer in the past owning a few sessions where he's featured as a leader and sideman. Never real did it for me. Well, having gone through the first 4 discs my opinion has dramatically changed. His playing on this set has been a real relevation for me. Top notch stuff. I expected great stuff from Benny Golson and he certainly doesn't disappoint here, but Art has been a real pleasant surprise for me. Loving the heck out of this set so far. Oh yeah, really digging Grachan Moncur's playing on disc 4.

I don't DISLIKE it, but I'm not over the hill excited about as many here seem to be. It just doesn't do "that" for me. That's cool, I like it, I've listened to most of these albums over the years with interest and the set is a very good one. . . but not one of my very favorite Mosaics.

Fair enough ! Must admit - I was surprisingly less than 100% knocked out on first listen to this set but after a few more listens it really got the feet tapping and appreciation of the set increased enormously. Acoustics are very good too.