What have you learned from being on this forum?

Hardbopjazz

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What have I learned from this... ? I keep glazing over this thread title. I came in once and started to type, as I have with so many other discussions, then decided, what the hell for. I've been visiting the org.org forums since damn near the beginning, and I've learned more than I can shake a stick at, but it still doesn't come close to what I learn when I actually sit down and enjoy the music without trying to think of what I'll type up about it on the internet. I've become more of a "lurker" over time, and this started at the Blue Note board. I like information.

I've often questioned what one man's opinion is worth. This bulletin board has sort of confirmed my belief that so much of the talk and language in our world is entirely arbitrary. No offense to anybody, please. I just find it humorous how imporant people think their opinion is.

I am more interested in hearing as much quality music as personally possible, than I am in becoming the end-all be-all on Elmo Hope, or Julian Priester in 1975, or some mythical pre-recording blues musician. The scope of music, and the spectrum of knowledge is so broad that I have all but given up on becoming an expert on any one subject. I know I am missing out by not digging as deep as dave9199 does on select musicians, but that is his thing. Dave, this isn't at all about you, hope you don't mind! ;) At the same time, I think its a shame that he doesn't have any Hal Russell NRG Ensemble, or Khan Jamal's Dark Warrior. One of two "Whatever" s. Enough about the difference between me and Dave.

I'm trying to soak up as much as I possibly can while I am here on this Earth, and I have no desire, whatsoever, to impress my ideals on anyone else. I've never understood why people wear their hearts on their sleeves and shout out their beliefs in order to separate themselves from those that don't think the same way.

I'm here, and you are there. I acknowledge you, but that doesn't mean I am looking for approval or disagreement. Just be there. Do your thing. I'll do mine. We don't have to attack each other when we aren't doing the same thing.

Hey, whatever (the second in a series of two). Now you see why I stop typing so many posts! I won't delete this one. Maybe it will elicit response, maybe not. Most likely, this thread will continue to focus on two people's opinion, and side.

No offense to anybody, please.

its a shame that he doesn't have any Hal Russell NRG Ensemble, or Khan Jamal's Dark Warrior.

I take offense at that, .:.impossible! :angry:

Seriously, you have some good points there. Life is too short, and there is way too much great music I want to explore, to waste time getting worked up over what someone else does or does not listen to. (although I am posting this message rather than switching cds, so forget what I just said)

I also just learned I need to pick up the Khan Jamal album. I have only heard him as a sideman on some of Jemeel Moondoc's albums.

impossible: Thank you for posting that. I've been thinking along similar lines regarding opinions (including my own), but you added some other thoughts that hadn't occurred to me.

Now you see why I stop typing so many posts!

Sort of, but I wish you wouldn't!

I want those drugs!

300 mg of Wellbutrin XL a day. It makes you attack Gene Harris fanatics, otherwise known as the One Sound.

You're not worth it.

Just as you're not worth the Weinstock interview transcript.

Or advice on Williamsburg.

Mistakes that won't be repeated (or perpetuated).

Just when I think things are coolin down, I see a reference to the "One Sound". Is this supposed to be some sort of slap at the Sounds or because Dan is the GHF. I don't see what's wrong with liking the Sounds (there's a lot of fans out there including me) or for Dan being a huge Sounds fan. There's a lot of people who happen to love a group or an artist. I don't see anybody jumping on Rooster for loving Andrew Hill, probably more than Dan loves Gene Harris. So can we please stop with this nonsense, for chrissake.

Guest Chaney

I've learned how to distinguish a Jazzmosse from a Rooster Ties.

I've also learned that there's very little board (or even bored) interest for the upcoming release of Doom 3. Looks like it's just me and Use3D.

• 9 years later...