Before OJCs go away

Chuck Nessa

I just made a big alldirect order that included a bunch of OJCs. In an interesting coincidence, most of the ones I ordered feature alto players who are new to my collection:

Simmons/Lasha -- Firebirds

Ernie Henry -- Seven Standards and a Blues

Roy Haynes -- Cymbalism, with Frank Strozier as the lone horn

Lennie Niehaus -- Octet #2

Gigi Gryce -- Rat Race Blues

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An interesting (at least to me) aside:

The city library here has recently been purchasing a fair amount of OJC titles for their collection. Some, like Rod Levitt's album, will likely go the way of the deletion axe if Concord decides to make this kind of move. What a great thing for a library to do — get ahold of this stuff now, and keep it available (hopefully for a long time) for the public! I wonder if anyone there has been reading posts here ... ?

Just yesterday, I checked out Gene Ammons' Groove Blues from the library. :party:

(And ... they're getting in some Ernie Henry!)

Man... I wish I lived in Eugene! That's a good library.

I visited Eugene in 1994 when I worked/partied at the Country Fair (this was one of the most fun weeks of my life).

The first is Paul Horn's "Something Blue".

Speaking of flutes and the alto, my second recommendation is Ken McIntyre's "Stone Blues".

Second the recommendation on the Paul Horn - some excellent music.

The McIntyre is at the top of my OJC wish list.

I think one that hasn't been mentioned is the Red Mitchell Quartet with James Clay and Lorraine Geller (was Contemporary).

An interesting (at least to me) aside:

The city library here has recently been purchasing a fair amount of OJC titles for their collection. Some, like Rod Levitt's album, will likely go the way of the deletion axe if Concord decides to make this kind of move. What a great thing for a library to do — get ahold of this stuff now, and keep it available (hopefully for a long time) for the public! I wonder if anyone there has been reading posts here ... ?

Just yesterday, I checked out Gene Ammons' Groove Blues from the library.  :party:

(And ... they're getting in some Ernie Henry!)

Man... I wish I lived in Eugene! That's a good library.

I visited Eugene in 1994 when I worked/partied at the Country Fair (this was one of the most fun weeks of my life).

Yeah, Eugene rules. I would love to live there. Except that I might end up spending too much time at the hot springs by the Cougar reservoir! :P

A little tip for UK based board members - there's quite a few of these OJC titles available at the moment from one of amazon.co.uk's marketplace sellers musicexpress.com for £1.81 each plus £1.24 postage (I don't know how this works for you guys in the US). I've just picked up the following fifteen titles for £3.05 each (incuding postage):

Buck and Buddy - Buck Clayton with Buddy Tate

Blue Stompin' - Hal Singer

We Three - Roy Haynes

Evenin' Blues - Jimmy Witherspoon

Memorial - Clifford Brown

Milt Jackson, Vol. 1 - Milt Jackson; Count Basie

In San Francisco - Cannonball Adderley

In New York - Cannonball Adderley

Very Saxy - Eddie Davis

Carl's Blues - Curtis Counce

Bourbon Street - Louis Cottrell

Blues & Ballads Vol.1 - Lonnie Johnson/Elmer Snowden

Swingville - Coleman Hawkins

Mood Indigo - Doc Cheatham

plus...

All Star Sessions (Milestone) - Elmo Hope

Not a bad haul for £45.75! I really have no idea why they are going so cheaply but it's certainly worth having a dig around Amazon UK for OJC titles at the moment. I don't know how long they'll be available at this price so I figured I'd better grab some now.

Edited by Phil Meloy

Yeah, Eugene rules. I would love to live there. Except that I might end up spending too much time at the hot springs by the Cougar reservoir! :P

... well, there's always McCreeley Hot Springs by Willamette Pass. (But it's also known as "Nude Trucker Hot Springs" — :rfr .)

I guess I'm a little surprised that you guys know this town! It is a great place, but come armed with a job (or a fair amount of dough)! It's not unusual that people in the food service here have Master's degrees. The rent-to-income ratio is also whacked.

But my neighbors don't seem to mind me blasting Bud Powell at 7 a.m. ... :party:

A little tip for UK based board members - there's quite a few of these OJC titles available at the moment from one of amazon.co.uk's marketplace sellers musicexpress.com for £1.81 each plus £1.24 postage (

tried this and they cancelled order, computer error they said,,, oh well.......

A little tip for UK based board members - there's quite a few of these OJC titles available at the moment from one of amazon.co.uk's marketplace sellers musicexpress.com for £1.81 each plus £1.24 postage (

tried this and they cancelled order, computer error they said,,, oh well.......

Yeah me too clunky. I got 16 emails saying they were displayed at the wrong price and my credit card was being refunded. Drats! They've now been removed from the Amazon site.

• 4 weeks later...

I downloaded some new stuff from e-music a couple of nights ago that I think is worth hearing. I kind of approached this is a different manner, using a 1999 Fantasy catalogue to locate obscure people whose music I had not heard. And, because downloading is so inexpensive on e-music, if I made a mistake, it was no big deal. Anyhow, some new artists (at least new to me) to recommend:

Lyle Murphy - "Gone With The Woodwinds" If you like music that's a little off plumb, like Rod Leavitt, Duane Tatro or to an extent, George Russell, then this guy is definitely for you. He uses the 12 tone format for his own compositions and even the standards he does are delightfully off center. The back up group includes Buddy Collette, Andre Previn, Abe Most, Curtis Counce and Shelly Manne. Highly recommended

At the other end of the spectrum is a singer by the name of Bev Kelly. A recent thread dealt with Sunday Morning music, and this gal would be a perfect addition to anyone's Sunday A.M. Really nice voice, laid back tunes, tight accompanists the likes of Jimmy Jones, Kenny Burrell, Milt Hinton, Roy Haynes, Jerome Richardson, Osie Johnson and "Sweets" Edison. The CD is called "Love Locked Out." Again, highly recommended.

Last but not least, Joe Holiday with "Mambo Jazz". Very accessible bigger band swing jazz with a Latin lilt. Players include Sam Woodyard, Idrees Sulieman, Eddie Bert, Cecil Payne, Max Roach, Billy Taylor and Machito. Nicely turned.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

Here are a bunch of OJCs that I don't recall seeing mentioned. They are all winners.

Ray Bryant Trio - All Blues

Art Farmer - Early Art

Art Farmer - Farmer's Market

Benny Carter - Benny, Ben & Barney

Illinois Jacquet - Bottoms Up

Illinois Jacquet - The Blues That's Me

Booker Ervin - The Song Book

Joe Newman Quintet - Jive At Five

Peter F

I'm sure this one has already been mentioned, but I wanted to give it another ringing endorsement.

f31822rqzc4.jpg

Teo Macero on tenor is somewhat like hearing a weird hybrid of Warne Marsh and John Coltrane, circa 1956, with just a smidge less technical proficiency. A unique voice.

Don't look now kids, but there's a boatload of B-level OJC's that just appeared on Dusty Groove's website today.

I noticed that too. Some good titles in there. I believe it's the first time (ever) that The Bards have stocked OJCs.

Edited by Late

I've been living with the following for about a week now:

Jimmy Heath Sextet - The Thumper

Webster Young - For Lady

Don Sleet - All Members

Jimmy Woods Sextet - Conflict

Art Farmer/Gigi Gryce - When Farmer Met Gryce

Hal Singer - Blue Stompin'

Roy Haynes, et al. - We Three

Lennie Niehaus - Vol. 5 The Sextet

Oliver Nelson - Straight Ahead

All I can say after living with them for a week, I don't know how I lived without them for so long. These are some of my favorite OJCs. I know that I will be pulling these of the shelf pretty regularly.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...