Does "Hardbop" post here

Soul Stream

One thing I always miss about the ol' Blue Note Board was Hardbop's live jazz reviews of the NYC scene.

I go over to AAJ for that reason only. To see what's up in NYC. Gotta hand it to the guy, he's like the man on the scene who really takes time to put it into words for the rest of us. Like his perspective on jazz or not.

Anyway, I wondered if he posts here in any form. If so, does he go under a different name?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's a moron.  I'm glad he doesn't post here.  Who needs his bullshit?

He has the right to prefer accoustic music; I can respect that while being in strong disagreement, but it's the way he's insulting and disrespectful toward musicians who don't adhere to his view of what they should play, and smug and arrogant about the truth of his opinions, that makes me dislike him.

Edited by kh1958

I agree with Soulstream. Hardbop's postings on AAJ about the NYC scene are usually pretty interesting. He obviously spends a lot of time at clubs and concerts and a lot of $$$ on recordings. Indeed, I enjoy a lot of the same kind of music he enjoys.

But the other posters are right, too. He spoils a lot of his posts with the attitude of "The jazz I like is obviously the best jazz, and if I don't like something, then it must be no good." Back in my younger days when I was a bit of a jazz snob, I had a similar attitude. But I've grown out of it. I hope Hardbop does, too. I've learned you can be enthusiastic about the music you enjoy without always taking a shot at something or someone else.

He has the right to prefer accoustic music; I can respect that while being in strong disagreement, but it's the way he's insulting and disrespectful toward musicians who don't adhere to his view of what they should play, and smug and arrogant about the truth of his opinions, that makes me dislike him.

I never said he didn't have the right to "prefer" acoustic music. I think his entire attitude is jive.

I never said he didn't have the right to "prefer" acoustic music. I think his entire attitude is jive.

I didn't mean to imply you did.

Jazz is not busting out all over here in Dallas. Listening to some "finger poppin" Sonny Sharrock right now.

Unlike yourself, John, Hardbop seems stuck in his ways (ie. listening habits.) and he likes it that way. He likes knowing how the music is going to play out on the bandstand and on records. He digs hardbop, but knocks other styles of jazz as being not up to hardbop's "standard". That's what annoys me; he disses other kinds of music, but also just dismisses them. He doesn't bother with constructive criticism, that would be beyond him intellectually. But he sure does consider himself knowledgeble; he has all the answers. He must sleep easily at night as he knows all the answers. :rolleyes:

One more thing: Hardbop's reviews sucked.

Hardbop's reviews aren't so much "reviews" as they are 'who played what songs where.' Outside of a few of his tried and true "most swingin'"s and such, I don't think he goes into much depth or criticism of the gigs. I do enjoy knowing the song details and personel of a George Coleman gig at Smoke. Don't find that anywhere else. on the web to my knowledge. I don't see much point throwing the baby out with the bathwater on this one.

What always amazes me is that he seems (claims?) to read everything, yet he apparently learns nothing--except trivia, of course. He also tends to "review" performances he never heard and books he never read. If Crouch ever pops back at JC, as Lois promised, I think those people had better brace themselves for regular visits by Heaney--not to mention that other one, the one who borrows his handle from a Dutch film actor. :g

One more thing:  Hardbop's reviews sucked.

Hardbop's reviews aren't so much "reviews" as they are 'who played what songs where.' Outside of a few of his tried and true "most swingin'"s and such, I don't think he goes into much depth or criticism of the gigs. I do enjoy knowing the song details and personel of a George Coleman gig at Smoke. Don't find that anywhere else. on the web to my knowledge. I don't see much point throwing the baby out with the bathwater on this one.

Well, as already stated on this thread, he won't post here because it's run by an organ trio (and we all know electric organs were invented by Satan). Talk about throwing out the baby with the bathwater....

^_^

Well, as already stated on this thread, he won't post here because it's run by an organ trio (and we all know electric organs were invented by Satan). Talk about throwing out the baby with the bathwater....

^_^

Well, I have learned to ignore threads started by mr. hardbop. He did buy a couple of Von Freeman cds from me but I'm not sure he's happy about his purchase.

I'm glad he has a good time in clubs but it has nothing to do with the world I live in.

I am delighted he does not post here.

Is he[Heaney] really this significant? Struck me as a nonentity.

• I think he is only significant because he has managed to intrude upon more so than contribute to various bulletin boards. He is significant in the way that a pesky fly is: you want it to go away but you can't ignore it when it's buzzing around you.