The Columbia Reissue Program

Late

It's almost as if it were the Miles Davis Columbia Reissue Program, the focus is so strongly on this artist (which I can't, in all honesty, really complain about).

Then, Monk seems to get the next preferential treatment, followed by Mingus ... and then it tapers off dramatically.

There have been some great Columbia reissues (and re-reissues) in the last 4-5 years. I'm thinking of the recent editions of Filles de Kilimanjaro, Water Babies, Monk's Dream, and Monk., and before that the Mingus '59 recordings, Jay Jay's J.J. Inc., Giuffre's Free Fall (thank goodness that Cuscuna et al. revived that one), and the lush The Birth of the Third Stream.

I have two questions:

1. What albums on Columbia haven't made it to compact disc, and would you like to see?

2. What compact discs on Columbia would you like to see an upgraded version of?

Any and all comments on Columbia's reissue program encouraged! I really like Columbia reissues, especially as they're now using original, and un-bordered, cover art, usually along with significant alternates or bonus material ... but it does seem we have to wait a damn long time for them to come to market.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see some stab at the Buck Clayton jam sessions. We aren't likely to see them in complete form again, but a 2 CD set would be nice.

With Basie's centennial coming up, it'd be nice to see a Basie box along the lines of the Louis Armstrong, Billie Holiday, and Charlie Christian boxes.

How's that for starters?

Quick note: My post above reveals that I was thinking along "modern jazz" lines. Of coure, Columbia has done fine work with, to name just a few, Charlie Christian, Billie Holiday, and Louis Armstrong. Additionally, I guess I was thinking more along the lines of individual albums reissued as their own compact disc.

Edited by Late

Guest Mnytime

It's actually simple. They are reissuing the names that sell the best. Of course every so often they will throw in a few things.

In Miles case they are going to be putting out everything of his they have that they can. Miles sells and always has. I think Monk might get somewhat the same though maybe not everything.

I just wish they would add Basie to the mix and more Duke. You have to remember since there is no Jazz Dept per say these are coming from their reissue dept. So their really is no one fighting to get things released that is a die hard Jazz fan.

It's actually amazing considering the shape Sony Music is in that they are even putting out Jazz Box Sets still.

Edited by Mnytime

i would love to see the tubby hayes material get reissued.

that is some wonderful music that should be heard by more people (and in better sound).

and i will always cast my vote loudly and persistently for better treatment of the columbia basie material. the 3 cd's that out there now are a disgrace.

I would like to see reissued:

The Chico Hamilton Special

Woody Shaw: Stepping Stones

They could license them to Koch Jazz (like they did with Tim Berne and others) if they don't want to release it themselves.

Remasterings wanted:

- Shakti (the first album)

- Duke Ellington - Blues in Orbit (currently OOP)

- Weather Report - I sing the body electric

Guest Mnytime

Claude

I could be wrong but I recall something about a Hybrid SACD of Ellington's Blues in Orbit being released either this year or next. With all the meds I am on I just can't remember who/where I heard that from

I could be wrong but I believe it was or will be released by Mobile Fidelity

Here is a site you can check that keeps track of all the SACD's released by the labels.

http://www.sacdinfo.com/home.php

Edited by Mnytime

Guest Mnytime

Before my fiancée left Sony I had her check to see what of interest was going to be reissued. At that time, which is now 3 years ago they had Concert by the Sea on their reissue list. They even had a date, which I mentioned in the Blue Note BBS and I can't remember that date now. But for whatever reason it still has not been reissued.

What I would like to know is why oh why won't they re-issue Lonnie Smith's first record? They've put a couple of tracks from it on the recent George Benson "It's Uptown" and "The Cookbook" CDs. Why not re-release the whole thing? I'm super curious whether the all the tracks with fade-outs on the original record actually have endings!!!!

"Blues in Orbit" has been out on hybrid SACD for about three years, maybe four? It was one of the last Mobile Fidelity titles released before they went belly up and then came back under new ownership.

I'd like to see a little box set of the Chico Hamilton and Charles Lloyd releases, and the rest of the Brubeck catalog, and the rest of the Monk catalog. (The latter two are stronger possibilities!)

Guest Mnytime

Chris

They just released the first 3 Vol.s of the Hot Five and Seven as single CD's. I can't imagine what more they can do with that material considering they already put it out as a box a couple years ago outside of maybe SACD.

There's a couple of nice Coleman Hawkins and Ben Webster sessions that definitely merit reissue (I've only ever seen the double LP set of these, put out in the 70s). Front line pairings are with Clark Terry and Harry Edison, respectively, and the recordings were done over at 30th St. This would make a very nice single CD release ..

Edited by sidewinder

I never picked up the Columbia Hot Fives because all indications I read seemed to say that the JSP CDs with John R.T. Davies' work are still the best. Isn't that so?

BTW, I would love to get "Something New, Something Blue" on CD, especially if there is additional stuff in the vaults. This various artists LP gets lots of playing time on my system, even if the vinyl is all scratched up. 4 tracks with Art Farmer, Frank Rehak, Phil Woods, Al Cohn, Eddie Costa, Bill Evans, Addison Farmer and Ed Shaughnessy and another 4 with Donald Byrd, Bob Brookmeyer, Hal McKusick, Frank Socolow, Teddy Charles, Mal Waldron, George Duvivier and Ed Shaughnessy. Great blues playing by all.

Later,

Kevin

Chris

They just released the first 3 Vol.s of the Hot Five and Seven as single CD's. I can't imagine what more they can do with that material considering they already put it out as a box a couple years ago outside of maybe SACD.

That might be it, mnytime--I'll ask them.