Art Ensemble 1967/68 Box

I took the plunge and ordered this box from True Blue's promotion. I'm definately nervous about how much I'm going to like this set! I got "A Jackson In Your House" from emusic and that is quite a different sound than the standard blue note bop that I'm used to! I'll keep an open mind, as something totally different is always a challenge!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 months later...

I'm thinking about taking the plunge on the box set -- any further reflections on the music?

it's a LOT of music in more than one way. I went through all of it once and was awed, impressed, estranged, a bit bored for a little while, warmed, scared, interested, inspired, and had a lot of fun with this. In short: take the shot, it's worth it.

post-19-1082553845.jpg

I'm thinking about taking the plunge on the box set -- any further reflections on the music?

it's a LOT of music in more than one way. I went through all of it once and was awed, impressed, estranged, a bit bored for a little while, warmed, scared, interested, inspired, and had a lot of fun with this. In short: take the shot, it's worth it.

:blink:

I hope you recovered... ^_^

You're right, the music's certainly worth it. Highly recommended!

Edited by J.A.W.

Like most box sets this is best listened to a bit at a time,

I was spinning "A to erika" ( spelling?) last night and the amount of detail in the performance is astonishing. Curiously I was struck how much this track in parts resembeld one of the groovier tracks off "Snurdy". ( sorry forget the name). Roscoe seems the threaten to turn what is a fairly abstracted piece towards the end into a dance. Great stuff.

Like most box sets this is best listened to a bit at a time,

I was spinning "A to erika" ( spelling?) last night and the amount of detail in the performance is astonishing. Curiously I was struck how much this track in parts resembeld one of the groovier tracks off "Snurdy". ( sorry forget the name). Roscoe seems the threaten to turn what is a fairly abstracted piece towards the end into a dance. Great stuff.

Ericka is definitively one of the highlights! A great performance!

ubu

• 2 months later...
Guest Chaney

From the most recent DMG newsletter:

ART ENSEMBLE OF CHICAGO - 67/68 [5 CD Box Set] (Nessa 2500; USA)  This limited-edition five-CD set, that was available directly from Nessa, not only reissues the 3 important free jazz albums Lester Bowie's 'Numbers 1 & 2', and Roscoe Mitchell's 'Congliptious' and 'Old/Quartet', but contains quite a bit of music taken from rehearsals by the members of the group that would by 1969 become known as the Art Ensemble of Chicago. "With such advanced improvisers as trumpeter Lester Bowie, Roscoe Mitchell and Joseph Jarman on reeds, bassist Malachi Favors, drummer Phillip Wilson, and appearances from bassist Charles Clark, drummers Robert Crowder and Thurman Barker, the music is usually very emotional and sometimes quite scary. There are meandering sections and individual performances that do not work all that well, but in general the music is quite colorful, adventurous, and innovative: in many ways the beginning of the modern avant-garde." -- Scott Yanow, AMG

5 CD set for $75

(Emphasis obviously mine.)

Was? :huh:

No longer available from you Chuck?

If you're on the fence, this is a lovely thing and I need to listen to mine more! (Bought used for $50, sorry Chuck!)

No problem - I pleased to have that cheap set off the market. B)

I don't want to leave the impression, from my previous post, I sell regularly sell 20 sets a day. Orders of this size only occur a few times a year.

• 1 month later...

I haven't seen this disc, but Rhapsody Films has a number of interesting shows out on DVD. The site is here. I went to a showing of Straight, No Chaser last night at the American Film Institute and they had a whole table of their releases there, although they did not have this one. I bought a "double feature" that has a Sonny Rollins Lauren, Netherlands performance from 1973 and the Ben Webster documentary Big Ben: Ben Webster in Europe. I haven't watched it yet, so can't report on its quality.

• 1 year later...

Let me say if you are "sitting on the fence" and wondering if this is for you, it probably isn't. I don't want anyone to say WTF! I have occasionally said this to folks contacting me and think I offended one former board member.

I'll sell the last few anyway.

Re: Stefan's comment about the tight slipcase, I know this was a problem and have about 500 extras. I'll send a new one if you pay the postage. It seems to be a variable in the gluing.