Beer Recommendations

Not a "sophisticated" call, but my current cheap, summer beverage is the "counterfeit" Fosters (brewed in Canadia). It is very refreshing on a hot day and available around here for about $8.50 for a 12 pack. Don't know about the distribution - could not find it in MO or IA this summer.

I love the counterfeit Sapporo that is brewed in Canada also. The Foster's is also fine with me. Price isn't bad.

Lately, Kroger has been selling Stella Artois for $6.99 for six. Not too bad...

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and then the one and only, best ever...

Guinness.gif

With all due respect, mate, I think that Guinness is just a tad over-rated (although I realize that you might get better/stronger stuff in Europe).

I really enjoy certain British, Irish, and Belgian beers; I am generally not so keen on German and Czech ones.

I think that I will open up one of these tonight and let the evening roll onward:

thomashardysale.jpg

Edited by Edward

• 2 weeks later...

Far and away the best domestic Belgian Style Ale!

18.jpg

Dick's Grand Cru

Intensely fruity and complex Belgian-stlye ale. This special beer is brewing art from start to finish. A full mash tun of malted barley is required to reach the high gravity required for this style, along with a high percentage of a special classic Belgian-style malt. Noble hops are added sparingly to the kettle.

During the long boil special kettle sugars are added in the Belgian tradition which lend unique flavors in the fermenter. A classic Belgian yeast strain is pitched and the long fermentation is monitored closely as the flavors develop. The beer is then chilled and aged before being kegged and bottled.

Available in 12 oz. bottles & magnums

387435655-thumb_259898352-homer_drool.gif

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

...from the North Coast Brewing Company:

brotherthelonious2006.jpg

With the developing interest in Belgian abbey ales and the monasteries that brew them, it’s time to remind the world that here in the U.S., we have a Monk of our own. Jazz icon Thelonious Monk is the inspiration for North Coast Brewing’s new Belgian-style abbey ale called, appropriately enough, Brother Thelonious. The beer is being released in conjunction with the Thelonious Monk Institute of Jazz (www.monkinstitute.org), and the brewery will make a contribution to the Institute for every case sold to support jazz education.

Like a Belgian “Dark Strong Ale”, the beer is rich and robust with an ABV of 9%. The package is a 750 ml bottle with a traditional cork and wire finish and features a label picturing the jazz master himself.

“Being a huge fan of Monk and his music has made working on this project something special”, said Doug Moody, North Coast’s Senior Vice-President and National Sales Manager. “We’re honored to be associated with a world class organization like the Thelonious Monk Institute of Jazz and feel that this terrific beer will represent its namesake well.”

Look for Brother Thelonious wherever fine beers are sold and fine sounds are heard. The brand will be introduced initially in California. Seattle and Portland will follow shortly after that; then New York and Chicago and a national roll-out