EKE BBB

LPs that have never made it into CD

401 posts in this topic

I adore the Pee Wee Russell on Dot Records "Pee Wee Russell Plays (Pee Wee Russell)"  . . .It has been out on a European cd coupled with another Russell LP. Sound is pretty darned decent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, that's the one I was thinking of, it's out on cd from Europe, I have the LP as well. 

I was confusing the title with this one I have and love on Bell Records from '61

R-5233074-1388275561-4046.jpeg.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about those 6 or 7 mid-‘70’s Ahmad Jamal albums on 20th Century Fox?  Inconsequential in the grand scheme of things, filled with the trappings of the period, probably pretty dated at this point, but I always enjoyed them. (The only thing from that period that seems to have been out is that “Oil Can Harry’s,” which was available at one point.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And Calvin Jackson’s trio album of movie themes, on Reprise. 

“Jazz Variations on Movie Themes.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2020 at 3:56 PM, DMP said:

What about those 6 or 7 mid-‘70’s Ahmad Jamal albums on 20th Century Fox?  Inconsequential in the grand scheme of things, filled with the trappings of the period, probably pretty dated at this point, but I always enjoyed them. (The only thing from that period that seems to have been out is that “Oil Can Harry’s,” which was available at one point.)

The albums from the end o his Argo/Cadet run need CD release also, especially "Extensions".  I do like that "Oil Can Harry's" album.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2020 at 3:56 PM, DMP said:

What about those 6 or 7 mid-‘70’s Ahmad Jamal albums on 20th Century Fox?  Inconsequential in the grand scheme of things, filled with the trappings of the period, probably pretty dated at this point, but I always enjoyed them. (The only thing from that period that seems to have been out is that “Oil Can Harry’s,” which was available at one point.)

 

1 hour ago, felser said:

The albums from the end o his Argo/Cadet run need CD release also, especially "Extensions".  I do like that "Oil Can Harry's" album.

I've never heard any of those albums, but when I think of Jamal's 20th Century Fox LPs, one album cover always comes to mind.  And it makes me cringe more than just a little bit:

R-1812857-1585851592-3594.jpeg.jpg

It's always struck me as being "tone deaf" to some old racist stereotypes.  

Or am I reading too much into it? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, felser said:

The albums from the end o his Argo/Cadet run need CD release also, especially "Extensions".  I do like that "Oil Can Harry's" album.

"Naked City Theme" and "Extensions" were combined on a CD from the Spanish Jazzbeat label. OOP and hard to find. Discogs doesn't list it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mikeweil said:

"Naked City Theme" and "Extensions" were combined on a CD from the Spanish Jazzbeat label. OOP and hard to find. Discogs doesn't list it.

Thx.  Must be needle drops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

R-1812857-1585851592-3594.jpeg.jpg

It's always struck me as being "tone deaf" to some old racist stereotypes.  

Or am I reading too much into it? 

Maybe not reading enough to it, because it looks like he's "stepping out" with a (maybe?) white chick...in which case who's having what dream?

The key to the whole thing looks like it might be down there in the lower left corner. I've looked at that image often enough to be able to say with certainty that I have no idea in hell what it actually is other than some people doing something, at least one or two of which appear to be female forms with really nice asses. And the all look ,ike they might be underground, like, literally.

The illustration is by Traci Vanola, who has a pretty interesting story and output: https://www.tricivenola.com/

The overall art direction is by Jamico, which...hell if I know who or what that is was was. Although...if there's two dots, there''s a line, and if there's three, there's a place, right?

So here's the second dot:

61GFNPJP7IL._SL1231_.jpg

61oufSDLy5L._SL1231_.jpg

And here, then is your plane:

614FeWH4a5L._SL1200_.jpg

61LeP5g%2BsfL._SL1200_.jpg

Tried to see if Jack L Levy & Michael Levy were the same person, but...ain't got THAT much time right now. They both show up on 20th Century Records, though.

Didn't know any of this beforehand, btw, just got curious and stepped out with the internet!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Maybe not reading enough to it, because it looks like he's "stepping out" with a (maybe?) white chick...in which case who's having what dream?

Maybe so.

Don't mean to bag on Jamal one bit.  ... The image has just always given me a touch of the heebie jeebies. But perhaps I'm just not attuned to its subtleties. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure if there are any subtleties...it's not well enough done to figure that out one way or another.. that's the bigger offense, imo.

What's always given me the heebie-jeebies is that suit, period. Just because it was the 70s, that's no excuse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some albums still not on CD:

Jack DeJohnette--Untitled (ECM)

James Newton--Paseo Del Mar (India Navigation). It is my favorite James Newton album

Sun Ra--Unity (Horo). His other two Horo albums have had CD and digital download releases, but this excellent live album has not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hot Ptah said:

Some albums still not on CD:

Jack DeJohnette--Untitled (ECM)

James Newton--Paseo Del Mar (India Navigation). It is my favorite James Newton album

Sun Ra--Unity (Horo). His other two Horo albums have had CD and digital download releases, but this excellent live album has not. 

A lot of really good India Navigation and Horo albums that never made it to CD, and ownership of those catalogs seems to be in flux (or worse). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

India Navigation: rights reverted to the artists after the label dissolved. Not sure what happened with the tapes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, felser said:

A lot of really good India Navigation and Horo albums that never made it to CD, and ownership of those catalogs seems to be in flux (or worse). 

There's a Gil Evans Lp on Horo that's never been on cd.  Also I think the two Gil at Royal Albert Hall: one on RCA and one on an English label.  I learned how to digitze Lps just so I could digitize them and put the cuts in correct order. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as I know the son (?) of Aldo Sinesio still owns the catalog, was planning to reissue things but that looks like it fell apart. Considering the depth of the catalog it is surprising to me that nothing has been really reissued. Two proposed Horo albums have been or are going to be issued: Milo Fine (Emanem) and Dave Burrell/Sam Woodyard (NoBusiness). 

But those never came out in the first place, and I gather that the tapes came from the artists.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, medjuck said:

and one on an English label. 

On Mole Jazz’s label - 2nd LP from the Festival Hall. They also put out a 1983 LP from the ‘British Orchestra’ that I don’t recall seeing on CD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

On Mole Jazz’s label - 2nd LP from the Festival Hall. They also put out a 1983 LP from the ‘British Orchestra’ that I don’t recall seeing on CD.

Yes. And for some reason I keep saying Royal Albert Hall.  I've been to both and should know the difference. I've got a cd of the London Orchestra on the Arts Association Label. At least I presume it's the same concert: March 14, 1983. 

Edited by medjuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, medjuck said:

Yes. And for some reason I keep saying Royal Albert Hall.  I've been to both and should know the difference. 

Both great venues, of course. I have the feeling that that other Mole LP was recorded in Bradford at St George’s Hall but will have to check. I saw that band same tour at Ronnie Scotts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Both great venues, of course. I have the feeling that that other Mole LP was recorded in Bradford at St George’s Hall but will have to check. I saw that band same tour at Ronnie Scotts.

Yes: St. George's Hall. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, medjuck said:

Yes: St. George's Hall. 

A fine old Victorian venue. More regularly used for classical concerts, not aware of any other jazz recordings done there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really should get round to buying all three of those Evans albums

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.