Dexter Gordon

Alon Marcus

The two big unknowns for me are the Steeplechases: the studio albums and the live air checks from the '60's. I'll bet it's all prime Dexter. I have a few of them, and they're just great: Something Different (with Philip Catherine subbing for piano in the front line), Biting The Apple (Barry Harris, Sam Jones and Billy Higgins: 'nuff said, and better than the Columbias), Vols. 1 & 3 of Swiss Nights (alive, swinging, electric), and Billie's Bounce ("or Bouncing With B" sez Dex...'60's air check with Tete, NHOP, Alex Riel).

Someone on Amazon posted that there are 14 volumes of Dex '60's air checks on Steeplechase. We should discuss them more. I miss Dex.

That Amazon poster, named Marks, posted this on 6/27/13 for the album Satin Doll:

When one looks over and listens to Gordon's vast discography, the realization starts to sink in that 1967 was a very strong year for LTD. He was 44 and at the height of his powers. All in all, there are now seven issued CDs of live performances from that summer of '67. Every one is splendid, and Satin Doll is no different. Its sound quality is passably good, and for that reason alone I have given the issue only four stars instead of five. But the jazz is exceptional. Highly recommended. For those who can't get enough and, like me, want more of Gordon from 1967, the CDs currently available on the market are:
Satin Doll (Steeplechase,06.29.67)
The Squirrel (Blue Note, 06.29.67)
Body and Soul (Black Lion, 07.20.67)
Both Sides of Midnight (Black Lion, July 20 and 21, 1967)
Take the 'A' Train (Black Lion, 07.21.67)
Live at the Jazzhus Montmartre (DA Music, July 20 and 21, 1967) and
Jazz at Highschool (Storyville 08.05.1967)
The first six were all recorded at Montmartre. All seven include Drew on piano. The quartet on the last five CDs is Gordon, Drew, Nils-Henning Orsted Pedersen (b), and Al Heath (dr). The last six titles I would rate as five stars and give my highest recommendation. The Black Lion titles are among the best live Gordon recordings on the market.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those Black Lions and the other albums mjzee mentioned from '67 could be the go for me... i really dig Gordon in the quartet format and i really dig Kenny Drew. I've seriously stretched my wife's goodwill, budget wise, lately so for better or worse i can't splurge but i'm going to start picking these up slowly. Might go check out my local brick and mortar and see if i can get lucky, do some trades... never even really checked out their Dexter Gordon section before :blush: .

Wow - I was going to start a Dex at 90 thread when I saw this.

As some of you know, I'm a huge Dexter fan (see my avatar). This week wraps up the Dex at 90 celebration and apparently at Dizzy's in NYC there is a legacy ensemble playing for the weekend. Wish I could be there for that.

But for me it's much more personal. Several years ago, I went through a terrible time in my life. The music of two artists helped me through that - Dexter Gordon and Pat Metheny. So this week - in honor of Dex's birthday, I'm celebrating the music of Dexter Gordon. I think I must have everything that's available on CD and I''ll be playing Dex all week long. I'll also be viewing my DVD of Round Midnight.

But I'd like to personally thank someone who did perhaps the most generous and kind thing I've ever encountered on a jazz board or anywhere, for that matter. I can still recall the day when I received an unexpected shipment and wondered what the hell it was. I opened it, and there were several discs of unreleased live Dexter recordings. The best gift and the best remedy I could have ever received at was probably the worst and darkest period of my life. I would name him here but I'm not sure he'd be comfortable with that. All I will say is thanks to DG for for some great music and a gesture of kindness that will stay with me as long as I live.

Edited by Ed Swinnich

Has anyone heard this?

Dexter Gordon Quartet

Dexter Gordon (tenor saxophone) Hampton Hawes (piano) Bob Cranshaw (bass) Kenny Clarke (drums)

Los Angeles, CA, summer 1973
Modal Mood Up Front UPF 188 Ernie's Tune - Smile - Soul Sister - Clear The Dex -

* Up Front UPF 188 Dexter Gordon Quartet

It's been a long time since I thought about that one, so I just did some sleuthing. Here's what I discovered. I found the LP on ebay...

$_57.JPG

and there's a rear cover image with more info:

$_57.JPG

See where it says "previously released" and "courtesy of United Artists"? That led me to realize that all five of those tunes appeared on Dexter Calling (Blue Note, 1961). Different personnel, of course. There's no such 1973 session listed in my Dexter discography. So, this looks like a classic case of intentionally creating bogus discographical data, and deceiving record buyers into paying for something they probably already had.

I have tried for many years to find that Prestige LP (or better CD) Blues a la Suisse with the same personnel (Hawes on electric piano, Cranshaw on electric bass and Klook on Drums). Never found it.

I also listened a lot to Dexter those days.

Mostly to the SteepleChase albums "Dexter in Radioland". They all are great, with one exception:

"Vol. 1, Cry Me a River". Well, the Ballad is wonderful, but I don´t know what Dexter´s doing on "April". I heard so many of his recordings and saw him live so many times, he allways was great even if he had his "cups", but on that "April" from 1962 it sounds like he´s puttin on his audience.

Another point: Does anyone have informations about the progresses of Maxine Gordon´s book about her late husband ?

Excellent sleuthing Jim R.!

Like Ed I am about to embark on a Dexter marathon though I had no idea this was his 90th birthday week. But I've pulled all of the live Steeplechase discs listed above, several of the studio recordings, the BNs and the Black Lions and its going to be about a month of listening to Dex on my daily commute.

BTW, we should really keep this thread on the down low, before Allen Lowe comes in to say something unkind about Dexter. :w

Satin Doll (Steeplechase,06.29.67)

Both Sides of Midnight (Black Lion, July 20 and 21, 1967)

I've ended up ordering these two... looking forward to getting them.

There's a vast amount of great Dexter and one of the good things about Spotify is that it's got so much of it.

I've finally gotten around to signing up for Spotify. It is really good for checking stuff out and there is indeed a lot of Dexter there.

I have tried for many years to find that Prestige LP (or better CD) Blues a la Suisse with the same personnel (Hawes on electric piano, Cranshaw on electric bass and Klook on Drums). Never found it.

I have it as part of the Dexter Prestige box.

Yes, I noticed that. The problem is, I have all the single Prestige CDs, only Blues a la Suisse is missing, so it would be a little to much for me to buy the whole box only for one missing item.

I would have been interested in that record, since Hawes plays electric piano. Not, that I´m a fan of the Fender Rhodes, I love the acoustic piano, but I would have liked to hear how Dexter sounds in that context.....

Anyway: Some interesting Dexter from about that time, also with a mixture of "crossover" or "fusion" musicians and mainstream stars are the two albums of "Montreux Summit 1977" , where Dexter is well featured.

I have it as part of the Dexter Prestige box.

Yes, I noticed that. The problem is, I have all the single Prestige CDs, only Blues a la Suisse is missing, so it would be a little to much for me to buy the whole box only for one missing item.

I would have been interested in that record, since Hawes plays electric piano. Not, that I´m a fan of the Fender Rhodes, I love the acoustic piano, but I would have liked to hear how Dexter sounds in that context.....

Anyway: Some interesting Dexter from about that time, also with a mixture of "crossover" or "fusion" musicians and mainstream stars are the two albums of "Montreux Summit 1977" , where Dexter is well featured.

@caravan: thank you ! Great thing ! Gave me that big big smile, yeah I love everything that Dex did.

and from my present view: Now I like some of that stuff, where older guys mixed their stuff with then "modern" instruments.

During that time I remember their were some bad review, people saying why Hamp played on the electric piano when a good acoustic piano was available.

Now, after 40 years I say I like a lot of that stuff, same with Dizzy, when he went on tour with electric guitar and fender bass instead of acoustic piano and upright bass fiddle.

Now, I love that sound.

And, last not least: Klook is GREAT ! Made me so happy to see him here in action, great drumming !

Here are the 14 volumes in the "Dexter in Radioland" series released by Steeplechase:

Cry Me A River: November 28, 1962 - with Atli Bjorn, Marcel Rigot, William Schiopffe

Cheese Cake: June 11, 1964 - with Tete, NHOP, Alex Riel

King Neptune: June 24, 1964 - with Tete, Benny Nielsen, Alex Riel

I Want More: July 9, 1964 - with Tete, NHOP, Rune Carlsson

Love For Sale: July 23, 1964 - with Tete, NHOP, Alex Riel

It's You Or No One: August 6, 1964 - with Tete, NHOP, Alex Riel

Billie's Bounce: August 20, 1964 - with Tete, NHOP, Alex Riel

Wee Dot: June 10, 1965 - with Atli Bjorn, Benny Nielsen, Finn Frederiksen

Loose Walk: June 24, 1965 - with Kenny Drew, NHOP, Alex Riel

Misty: July 8, 1965 - with Kenny Drew, NHOP, Alex Riel

Heartaches: August 5, 1965 - with Kenny Drew, NHOP, Alex Riel

Lady Bird: August 19, 1965 - with Donald Byrd, Kenny Drew, NHOP, Alex Riel

Stella By Starlight: January 6, 1966 - with Pony Poindexter, Kenny Drew, NHOP, Makaya Ntshoko

Satin Doll: June 29, 1967 - with Kenny Drew, Bo Stief, Art Taylor

Here are the 14 volumes in the "Dexter in Radioland" series released by Steeplechase:

Cry Me A River: November 28, 1962 - with Atli Bjorn, Marcel Rigot, William Schiopffe

Stella By Starlight: January 6, 1966 - with Pony Poindexter, Kenny Drew, NHOP, Makaya Ntshoko

I have been eyeing some of these for a while ... does anyone have any favorites?

I didn´t know about the other 7 volumes until recently. Had thought Billie´s Bounce is the last one.

It seems that the next 7 albums were not very well advertised.

Tried to find some of them on amazon now, but not all of them.

But naturally I must get them.

By the way: Yesterday I contiued my personal Dexter festival at home, and listened to another Steeplechase album, the famous "Montmatre Summit" feat. Dexter with Jackie McLean (original album titles: "The Meeting" and "The Source").

I have been eyeing some of these for a while ... does anyone have any favorites?

It's hard to go wrong with any of them but since almost all feature Tete or Kenny Drew, you might want to make a choice or two if you have a preference in the piano chair - personally I prefer KD, though when it comes to Dexter, it's a close choice.

Wow - I was going to start a Dex at 90 thread when I saw this.

As some of you know, I'm a huge Dexter fan (see my avatar). This week wraps up the Dex at 90 celebration and apparently at Dizzy's in NYC there is a legacy ensemble playing for the weekend. Wish I could be there for that.

But for me it's much more personal. Several years ago, I went through a terrible time in my life. The music of two artists helped me through that - Dexter Gordon and Pat Metheny. So this week - in honor of Dex's birthday, I'm celebrating the music of Dexter Gordon. I think I must have everything that's available on CD and I''ll be playing Dex all week long. I'll also be viewing my DVD of Round Midnight.

But I'd like to personally thank someone who did perhaps the most generous and kind thing I've ever encountered on a jazz board or anywhere, for that matter. I can still recall the day when I received an unexpected shipment and wondered what the hell it was. I opened it, and there were several discs of unreleased live Dexter recordings. The best gift and the best remedy I could have ever received at was probably the worst and darkest period of my life. I would name him here but I'm not sure he'd be comfortable with that. All I will say is thanks to DG for for some great music and a gesture of kindness that will stay with me as long as I live.

When I went through a couple of horror show years back in the early 2000's I received many a parcel of CDs from the old crew from Jazz Corner as they knew I wasn't affording any CDs any time soon and I had through desperation sold over 500 CDs for one more