Uptown

mgraham333

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the recording dates and info on the Christian:

Jerry Jerome Quintet: Jerry Jerome (ts); Frankie Hines (p); Charlie Christian (g);

OP (?) (b); ? (d). B/cast. 9/24/39.

Goodman Sextet

One tune each from broadcasts 8/19/39, 10/7/39, 10/14/39, 10/16/39, 11/4/39, 11/25/39, 11/27/39, 12/2/39, 12/16/39, 3/19/40, 4/12/40, 4/26/40, 6/4/40

Everything here has been out before, in some cases multiple times.

Edited by jazzbo

Here's the recording dates and info on the Christian:

Jerry Jerome Quintet: Jerry Jerome (ts); Frankie Hines (p); Charlie Christian (g);

OP (?) (b); ? (d). B/cast. 9/24/39.

Is that the info given in the Uptown booklet? The personnel and date of this recording, which is >not< a broadcast, had been long settled (see Leo Valdés's discography), not least in this forum by Chris Albertson.

F

Christian_UPCD2763.jpg

A link to the Charlie Christian Uptown discographical information from the new CD is shown. Please note that as opposed to other issues of this material, Uptown started from the original acetate sources.

I just received the Charlie Christian CD. I understand this is the first issue of the Minneapolis session from Newhouse's original acetates, not the dubs used by Columbia in their early 70s LP (and presumably source of many subsequent reissues) or the ones owned by Jerry Jerome (used at least for an Arbors CD, and presumably for Volume 9 of the Complete Edition of Charlie Christian recordings - these issues presented the unspliced "I Got Rhythm" and the complete intro to "Tea For Two").

As for the rest, it looks that everything has been reissued before, but this should be in better sound.

Also, the 4/26/1940 "Sheik of Araby" here is the most complete version I recall. In previous reissues it fades during Guarnieri's solo, this has it complete plus almost a whole chorus by Goodman.

If you don't have this music and you're interested, I think this is the way to go. "Tea for Two" is the only recording of this tune by Christian, IIRC, and it has one of his best recorded solos IMHO.

Interesting to hear Oscar Pettiford's earliest stuff to, aged 17. And the booklet carries pictures of Frankie Hines (duly assumed to be "Earl Hines (p)?" in old discographies) and Newhouse I'd never seen.

F

PS Haven't read them yet, but the liner notes are by Frank Driggs (!)

Edited by Fer Urbina

So, what's new? Guess the Driggs connection might have something to do with the tape I found stuck between a console and the wall at Columbia's 52nd Street studio. He would park hot tapes there before taking them to wherever he kept the ill-gotten hoard that he called The Frank Driggs Collection.

Ok, so I tell it like it is. Someone needs to.

• 3 years later...

Wow!

Can't quite keep up with their release schedule of late though ... still don't have the Chubby Jackson or Gryce or Christian or their Dexter disc, nor the Coles/Wess ... had to get the Jacquet/Parker and Pres as they were released. Guess I have some shopping to do there!

Also still missing the McGhee ... here's the back-cover w/details:

upcd27782779bk.jpg

Has this been out previously? On that old Tristano/Mosac/whatever label? What's it called again?