The Fruit in your Beer Poll

Do you like fruit in your beer?  

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Seems like every time I order a beer lately, it now automatically comes with some sort of fruit, usually an orange. Of course, limes are popular in Corona, but I usually don't drink Corona.

I guess this is a summer time thing, but it still annoys me. FRUIT DOESN'T BELONG IN BEER!! :rmad:

Your opinions on this important matter are hereby solicited...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bartenders are doing that in Michigan? With what beers? everything? That's not a good thing. Periodically (5% of the time) I'll do the lime wedge in the Pacifico cerveza thing as well as a lemon wedge in a hefe-weizen. I have to admit, the mexican beers are pretty good on the golf course.....I usually squeeze 3 Modelo bottles (short & stout shape takes up less space) and 6 Bitburger pint cans into the cooler bag for a round on a hot day. Hmmm, now why did I hook that 5-iron into the parking lot on the last hole a few weeks ago and drill that Lexus smack dab in the ctr of the hood?? :w

I'm with ya on the fruity flavored beer....

The lemon-wheat beer combination is acceptable. The lime-Corona one is not - half the reason they encourage you to drink it with lime is because it tends to go skunky faster in the clear bottles. Why drink Corona anyway, unless it's Cinco de Mayo or something and you're having a big Mexican feast?

What about fruit-flavored beers? There is a micro in Boston that does blueberry and watermelon beers, which my friends there say is not half bad. I just tried the Pyramid Apricot Weizen. Not very impressive.

A lemon wedge with hefeweizen is acceptable, but I'm not big on chunks of citrus in my suds. What I really hate is places that serve English-style cider (such as Strongbow) with ice and lemon or lime like it was some fruit cooler. I always send it back and tell him to pour me another one.

Also, Unibroue in Quebec makes a delicous fruit-flavoured beer on lees called Ephemere. Depend on the season, you get cranberry, apple (the best) or others.

The lemon-wheat beer combination is acceptable. The lime-Corona one is not - half the reason they encourage you to drink it with lime is because it tends to go skunky faster in the clear bottles. Why drink Corona anyway, unless it's Cinco de Mayo or something and you're having a big Mexican feast?

Even then there's no excuse with this around:

negramodelo.jpg

Even then there's no excuse with this around:

negramodelo.jpg

oohhh yeeeyas. a nice Viennese brew. plus you don't ever have to worry about them tipping over.

...but pass on that regular Modello in the clear bottles ... pee yeww!

I too get an orange slice query whenever I order up a Heify or other wheat these days? silly, but free vitamin C

I'd like to know where this "lemon wedge in Hefe-weiss" stuff comes from. Go to Germany and they don't stick lemon wedges in your beer. They serve it straight-up, just the way I like it. My favorite German restaurant always serves hefe with a slice of lemon. They stopped bringing the lemon to my table. :)

FWIW, when I'm in Germany, I drink radler at lunch. It's half beer, half lemonade. Even the Germans don't consider it "beer" but more a "beer flavored drink". However, it is very refreshing and generally tastes pretty good.

Ahhh... 4:00. Almost time to head home and pop open a nice cold Erdinger. :D

Later,

Kevin

FWIW, when I'm in Germany, I drink radler at lunch. It's half beer, half lemonade. Even the Germans don't consider it "beer" but more a "beer flavored drink". However, it is very refreshing and generally tastes pretty good.

We have that in Britain, too; it's called shandy here.

I can understand (I think) serving American beer, in America, in very humid weather, with a slice of some citrous fruit. American beer, I've found when I've been over there, is very sharp and hard edged, which is great in hot, humid weather. I can imagine a slice might improve that edge for some people.

In Britain, where we like our beer warm and soft, and have the weather for it, bits of anything floating in our beer, other than flies, are completely unacceptable. And flies are only acceptable after about nine pints.

MG

And only if they're dead. We're not beasts, y'know.

I'd like to know where this "lemon wedge in Hefe-weiss" stuff comes from. Go to Germany and they don't stick lemon wedges in your beer. They serve it straight-up, just the way I like it. My favorite German restaurant always serves hefe with a slice of lemon. They stopped bringing the lemon to my table. :)

It's a North American thing. I've heard the odd German will tart up a kristallweizen with lemon. I never put lemon in German-made hefeweizen, but it goes well with the local knock-offs.

I usually add a slice of lemon to my wheat beer - sometimes a small slice of orange. Unnecessary for Blue Moon or Hoegaarten as they have some orange in it.

I'd take the Belgian fruit stuff in the summer, but I've had some unpleasant mixes. I hate apricot.

True on the Unibrou - just had one 2 weeks ago. It was raspberry wheat. Here is another fine local beer

Etq_KLB_Raspberry_Wheat_Beer.gif

Of course after 3-4 beers of anything - you are no longer enjoying it purely for the taste.

I have a cold Erdinger Weissbier waiting for me at home.

I've heard the odd German will tart up a kristallweizen with lemon.

That's correct.....it would typically be paired (here) with a 'Kristall' rather than a Hefe. I've seen a few do that over there as well in the Black Forest. Hey, a lemon slice is one thing....but blending a Weizen with coca-cola? Now that, I just can't fathom!! There outta be a law! headshake.gif

A lemon wedge with hefeweizen is acceptable

no it's not

It is 32C this eve as I leave for home. I will put a wedge in tonight as I sit on my balcony. Some situations call for the citrus!

cool the beer, ditch the citrus. If you want the latter, drink lemonade.

it's 32°C here as well.

BellsOberonLabel2006small.jpg

Many places here in Michigan have Bell's Oberon Ale on tap. It's available mainly during the summer, and according to their website, is "an American wheat ale brewed with Saaz hops. Spicy and fruity, Oberon is the color and scent of a summer afternoon."

:blink:

It's a good beer, but smelling like a "summer afternoon" may not always be such a good thing! I've only been to one place (a small, unpretentious neighboorhood bar) that doesn't put a slice of orange in that beer.

Those "Cherry Lambic" beers taste like Nyquil to me. Yuck.

I once had a Jalapeno flavored beer, in Reno, Nevada. Not as bad as it sounds.

I drink radler at lunch. It's half beer, half lemonade.

Eeeeeewwww! Ein Radler Mann!!! Zat's vhat I buy for mein frau!!! :P

24275.jpg

;)

Yeah, that's what my German friends say too... "Radler? That's for girls". Well, you know what, I don't care what they say, I ain't getting tanked at lunch and the stuff tastes good. :)

Prosit!

Kevin

Sometimes a cold crisp nothin’ there American macro-brew is just the thing, sometimes a Guinness on tap hits the spot. Cold beer on a warm day, warm beer on a cold day, beer with fruit, beer with pizza, beer in soup, beer in bread, a lovingly crafted micro-brew, a can of what ever was cheapest at the gas station on the way out to the lake, barley wine, a trappist ale, Spaghetti Bolognese with lots and lots of garlic and a nice La Rossa Birra Moretti Ahhhh. Why would you ever want to limit your opitions?

I like fruit in my beer (actually wort) during the fermentation phase; adds sugar which converts to alcohol. Above and beyond adding sugar content, certain fruits tend to impart some nice flavors to the finished beer. Bell's Cherry Stout for example. I've also had some real nice beers made with apricot and rasberry. Otherwise no thank you, serve mine without.