RogerF

British jazz reissues

293 posts in this topic

New Jazz in Britain Joe Harriott release (download) titled "Formation: Live '61

https://jazzinbritain.co.uk/album/formation-live-61

Recorded a few months after the "Free Form" album with 4/5 tracks from it on this live in studio recording (Les Condon replaces Shaky Keane for this session)

As usual with the previous JIB releases the SQ is very good IMHO.

Will be released as a 12" EP next January but I've already downloaded it & burnt it to CDr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, romualdo said:

New Jazz in Britain Joe Harriott release (download) titled "Formation: Live '61

https://jazzinbritain.co.uk/album/formation-live-61

Recorded a few months after the "Free Form" album with 4/5 tracks from it on this live in studio recording (Les Condon replaces Shaky Keane for this session)

As usual with the previous JIB releases the SQ is very good IMHO.

Will be released as a 12" EP next January but I've already downloaded it & burnt it to CDr

EP ordered, downloaded as well. Excellent release 

JiB really do have the longest lead-in times on th market for their vinyl releases. 6 months!

 

Edited by mjazzg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2021 at 1:15 AM, mjazzg said:

EP ordered, downloaded as well. Excellent release 

JiB really do have the longest lead-in times on th market for their vinyl releases. 6 months!

 

I downloaded and have listened to this Harriot release several times and really enjoyed it.  I'm a little confused by the notes.  Was this music once considered "free"?  Seems to me each of the tracks has a  (slightly complex) theme followed by some improvisation followed by a restatement of the theme-- just like most bop tracks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Harriott called it ‘free form’ - very much influenced by modern abstract art and quite different to the US approach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, medjuck said:

I downloaded and have listened to this Harriot release several times and really enjoyed it.  I'm a little confused by the notes.  Was this music once considered "free"?  Seems to me each of the tracks has a  (slightly complex) theme followed by some improvisation followed by a restatement of the theme-- just like most bop tracks. 

and just like the earliest Ornette record. Their voices were different, but their impulses, I think, were similar. Harriot suffered in the US, because by calling it "free form" and by playing alto, the US Critical Myopia lumped it in with Ornette, because, you know, not a lot of room in that mindset for possibilities other than one thing = imitators/followers, and besides, thre's only one type of "free" in this life, right? But they each are different, both from each other, and both from the norms of their time.

Seems like this "free" thing has room for nuance after all! LOL!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love those Harriott albums from that period.  He was onto something beautiful for awhile there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hat Hut Ezzthetics (Revisited series) have just released a double CD Joe Harriott set of his two classics "Free Form & Abstract".

Wonder if the SQ will be any different from the original UK Redial CD reissues - I was happy with them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Ordered this new Collier. The label made a good first of their Westbrook from the same source

https://myonlydesirerecords.bandcamp.com/album/british-conversations?from=fanpub_fnb

I wasn’t too happy with the sound on the Westbrook - on the thin side, at least for the vinyl. Will have to revisit - first impression was that I preferred the RCA original. Happier with their issue of the Beckett. Nevertheless, this is a welcome find.

Anyone got any idea what the next Decca Explosion releases will be after the New Jazz Orchestra?

Edited by sidewinder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

I wasn’t too happy with the sound on the Westbrook - on the thin side, at least for the vinyl. Will have to revisit - first impression was that I preferred the RCA original. Happier with their issue of the Beckett. Nevertheless, this is a welcome find.

Anyone got any idea what the next Decca Explosion releases will be after the New Jazz Orchestra?

Ah yes,I remember that discussion now. Let's hope they do a job in the Collier we can both enjoy. Any new Collier has got to something to be interested in

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Ah yes,I remember that discussion now. Let's hope they do a job in the Collier we can both enjoy. Any new Collier has got to something to be interested in

Indeed. It is also now 10 years since his passing, which is pretty sobering in itself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a reissue but some amazing film footage from French TV who just happened to be in St Pauls Cathedral when Michael Garrick was performing and recording his ‘Jazz Praises’.

Jazz Praises From St Pauls

Looks like Ian Carr, Art Themen and Jim Philip in the front line. Garrick must be on the organ. From the intro it looks like INA may have provided this rare footage to the BBC for possible use in the 2005 documentaries. Incredible !

Edited by sidewinder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More Tubby imminent by the looks of things

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mjazzg said:

More Tubby imminent by the looks of things

 

Another essential purchase by the looks of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/10/2021 at 5:46 PM, sidewinder said:

Not a reissue but some amazing film footage from French TV who just happened to be in St Pauls Cathedral when Michael Garrick was performing and recording his ‘Jazz Praises’.

Jazz Praises From St Pauls

Looks like Ian Carr, Art Themen and Jim Philip in the front line. Garrick must be on the organ. From the intro it looks like INA may have provided this rare footage to the BBC for possible use in the 2005 documentaries. Incredible !

Wow, thanks for posting, never seen before. INA has some amazing stuff in their archives. The beeb would probably have wiped the tapes if they had filmed this. 
 

Anthony 

London

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, adh1907 said:

Wow, thanks for posting, never seen before. INA has some amazing stuff in their archives. The beeb would probably have wiped the tapes if they had filmed this. 
 

Anthony 

London

Yes, it was an amazing coincidence that they were filming at the time of that one-off concert. Garrick’s liturgical works remain unique and undervalued !

Face not clear on the film but it must be a young John Marshall on the drums and I assume Coleridge Goode is on bass.

Edited by sidewinder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice to see that the run of British jazz reissues are now stretching into the Fusion era a bit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.