Horace Silver at Newport 1958

JohnS

This release has been discussed in two threads before:

Blue Note Reissues for 2008

&

Japanese releases 2008

Kevin B even posted the liner notes.

The recording is in stereo and taken from tapes in the Columbia vaults!

Here is the cover:

51Eq8Q9H6jL._SS500_.jpg

You can listen to sound samples on the Amazon page.

And I agree that the presence of Louis Smith is one of the main points of this release. With his own two Blue Note albums also coming out this year, 2008 seems to become a Louis Smith year!

• 2 weeks later...

This release has been discussed in two threads before:

Blue Note Reissues for 2008

&

Japanese releases 2008

Kevin B even posted the liner notes.

The recording is in stereo and taken from tapes in the Columbia vaults!

Here is the cover:

51Eq8Q9H6jL._SS500_.jpg

You can listen to sound samples on the Amazon page.

And I agree that the presence of Louis Smith is one of the main points of this release. With his own two Blue Note albums also coming out this year, 2008 seems to become a Louis Smith year!

Thanks for the sound samples link. Pity they don't include any solo time from the rarely heard Louis Smith!

His first BN date was really good, the second ok (but not earth shattering). I have a few of this SteepleChase cds. The one with Jodie Christian is excellent.

When I was living in Chicago I had the opportunity to play with Jodie many times (I even got to play on one of his Delmark recordings). In the mid-90s I got to travel with him to the Red Sea Jazz Fest in Israel and play with him, Rufus Reid and Billy Hart. That was one of the best musical experiences of my life, no doubt!

I've heard (from Rufus, who I just saw last weekend) that Jodie is battling Alzheimer's. I'm so sorry to hear about that and wish Jodie the best. I was blessed to cross paths with him.

Don't hesitate to pick this up. Much better than I expected. Louis Smith is just blazing on this.

How could anyone not expect it to be pretty darn good to begin with? You seriously had expectations of mediocrity?

The Mingus at Cornell '64, although highly touted, was somewhat underwhelming to me despite the fact that Mingus's '64 squad is one of my favorites of all time. I am also normally not that much into Horace Silver.

Additionally, sometimes live recordings suffer from sound issues that distract from enjoyment. This one did not. Also, I was unfamiliar with Louis Smith, and did not know that he was such a heavy hitter. This served as a great introduction.

So no, I did not have "expectations of mediocrity" or any other "expectations" so to speak. Sometimes things that are highly touted are ultimately underwhelming for various reasons. To me, this release was just the opposite.

Don't hesitate to pick this up. Much better than I expected. Louis Smith is just blazing on this.

How could anyone not expect it to be pretty darn good to begin with? You seriously had expectations of mediocrity?

The Mingus at Cornell '64, although highly touted, was somewhat underwhelming to me despite the fact that Mingus's '64 squad is one of my favorites of all time. I am also normally not that much into Horace Silver.

Additionally, sometimes live recordings suffer from sound issues that distract from enjoyment. This one did not. Also, I was unfamiliar with Louis Smith, and did not know that he was such a heavy hitter. This served as a great introduction.

So no, I did not have "expectations of mediocrity" or any other "expectations" so to speak. Sometimes things that are highly touted are ultimately underwhelming for various reasons. To me, this release was just the opposite.

OK, now I understand if you weren't a big Horace fan going in. I expect that anyone who is will have high expectations when they get this.