Preparing for exile in what could be a hostile land

pollock

Hello. My name is "pollock." I am a regular on another jazz website. And I suspect that I posted something this evening that may well be the cause of my undoing.

I say I suspect it because I don't know what will result from my outburst. Something, someone, made me very angry. There are on these discussion bulletin boards persons whom I call vandals. I call them that because what they do is the equivilant of breaking windows, spray-painting hateful slogans and recklessly damaging anything in order to make a statement, always anonomously.

Tonight I reached a point where I could not control my anger over this behavior. I threw all caution to the wind and broke the rules, I demeaned myself with vulgar language expressed violently.

If I am to be banished here then so be it. I know that many of you here think ill of me. All I ask is that you allow me to quietly observe the proceedings, and allow me to make an attempt to contribute when I feel that I have something to contribute.

Jazz is my life. It is the air I breath. It is the beating of my heart. It is my sanctuary.

Those of us who have plumbed the depths of this music know that we are a small and select group. We live in the shadows of modern culture. Yet we live in those shadows by our own choice, and in those shadows we are inspired and lifted up.

This, then, is my greeting to you. Accept me for what I am. I humbly present myself as an exile here, who means to do no harm.

P

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pollock, I believe I do know who you are... because I read the post you're saying you made.

I have to say, there wasn't any need to go there, especially given the fact that you've got the "ignore user" function available over there. (Here, too - you can even block private messages from specific users if you want to.)

That said, welcome - I hope you can add some positive input here.

Cheers,

clave [aka various other usernames]

Edited by seeline

Hi ... um, beboppin' guy. :w ... No need to skulk around. It's not hostile here in the least. In fact, I quite prefer it now that I've hung around for a while. Freewheeling, lots of knowledge from the listening end of things. No experience with the musician side of things. Lots of good discussions. And people with a sense of humor ... yowza! ... But, in the end, it is what you make it.

Guest Bill Barton

Welcome aboard... Yeah, that Ignore function is a wonderful thing :lol:

And Chuck has a good point about this screen name thing. It's always puzzled me why folks feel the need to have cutesy screen names and/or fictional personalities to post on a jazz bulletin board. Of course, maybe I'd have second thoughts about that issue if I were to be able to dredge up some of those old posts of mine on JCS or BNBB... I've always used my real name. So any stoopid comments live "forever" and are infinitely Googleable. :rolleyes:

Guest Bill Barton

I've only used my real name online for publication. Aliases are kinda fun when you get to choose them yourself.

Signed,

Agent 99 [shoe phones, anyone?]

Okay, you've converted me, from now on I'm "banjo_on_my_knee" and live in Alabama.

I've only used my real name online for publication. Aliases are kinda fun when you get to choose them yourself.

Signed,

Agent 99 [shoe phones, anyone?]

Okay, you've converted me, from now on I'm "banjo_on_my_knee" and live in Alabama.

You must be from Skopje, then - homeboy! :)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=n2UJp3vN-y0

Edit: I *love* their style! (Heard them live around the time the clip was originally broadcast.)

Edited by seeline

It's always puzzled me why folks feel the need to have cutesy screen names and/or fictional personalities to post on a jazz bulletin board.

Well, the problem is, once you do it, you're kind of stuck. In the incestual (is that a word?) world of jazz bulletin boards, jazzmoose is pretty well known, but who the hell ever heard of Mark Combs? And once you're known by that name, you're just as "googlable". The different names on different boards I don't understand, although I used "Mrs. Anne Elk" on JazzCorner for a while. I don't think I fooled anyone, but then it wasn't my intention to do so.

Welcome aboard, Pollock.

Don't forget to mail at moderators you credit card numbers and all your pins and paypal passwords.

This is the way we calm down the bad guys here.

A "f***" is 100$ fine into the BB account.

Badmounthing's fine depends on wich and what you say:

obviously badmounthing a senior member has a biggest fine then a new one. :cool:

As you can see we are a friendly and libertarian community.

BTW do you still have that painting called "Summertime", I'd interested to trade with a couple of original BN pressings of your choice.

;)

It's always puzzled me why folks feel the need to have cutesy screen names and/or fictional personalities to post on a jazz bulletin board.

Well, the problem is, once you do it, you're kind of stuck. In the incestual (is that a word?) world of jazz bulletin boards, jazzmoose is pretty well known, but who the hell ever heard of Mark Combs? And once you're known by that name, you're just as "googlable". The different names on different boards I don't understand, although I used "Mrs. Anne Elk" on JazzCorner for a while. I don't think I fooled anyone, but then it wasn't my intention to do so.

I think I recall Mrs. Elk--she was a dear.

I think I recall Mrs. Elk--she was a dear.

A dear or a deer?

F1680.jpg