Jackie McLean fan? Too good to be true bargain?

mikelz777

41UhnWZrhOL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Complete 1955-1957 Quartet Quintet Sextet Sessions [bOX SET]

This is a 6-CD set currently listed for $18.99 at Amazon as of this writing. (see the link below) It indicates shipping within 1 to 3 weeks but if they actually fulfill the order at this price, it's well worth the wait. Why would this be selling so cheap? I thought I got a good deal when I paid $48.00 for mine.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-1955-1957-Q...9452&sr=8-2

Edited by mikelz777

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a 6-CD set currently listed for $18.99 at Amazon as of this writing. (see the link below) It indicates shipping within 1 to 3 weeks but if they actually fulfill the order at this price, it's well worth the wait. Why would this be selling so cheap?

Because it's one of those European grey market releases that "steals" the mastering from the legitimate sources?

And that are technically illegal in the U.S. I think?

This is a 6-CD set currently listed for $18.99 at Amazon as of this writing. (see the link below) It indicates shipping within 1 to 3 weeks but if they actually fulfill the order at this price, it's well worth the wait. Why would this be selling so cheap?

Because it's one of those European grey market releases that "steals" the mastering from the legitimate sources?

And that are technically illegal in the U.S. I think?

buzz kill

<_<

It's probably mispriced. The official price in Europe is 35€.

http://www.freshsoundrecords.com/record_po...?record_id=4686

I generally find the spanish reissues overpriced, given the small investment by the label. But maybe it's better for the official labels if the public domain reissues are not too cheap.

Doesn't seem likely if the stuff remains unissued, as it usually does, by the official label. The reissues are normally priced at what the market will bear and that probably means a fairly hefty profit margin, which enables discounting.

MG

Everything on this set is previously issued, correct?

Bertrand.

Yes, 12 discs worth.

Four Five and Six, Presenting Jackie McLean, Lights Out!, Jackie's Pal, McLean's Scene, Bird Feathers, Jackie McLean & Co., Alto Madness, Strange Blues, A Long Drink Of The Blues, Makin' The Changes and Jackie McLean Plays Fat Jazz.

I see that since the initial post the shipping time has changed to 4 to 7 weeks. Doesn't sound too promising but I could be wrong.

Edited by mikelz777

I haven't compared the tracklist with the original discs. Did they try to combine two sessions on one CD or is the set strictly chronological, which could mean that some sessions are spread over two discs?

It's strictly chronological and some sessions were indeed spread over two discs (all

of those CDs are chock-full with music, the shortest clocking in at 73:18 and three

going over 79 minutes!). But it's not like the original releases were much better in

that respect. For example, the quartet date with Mal Waldron from February 15 1957

was spread over four LPs/CDs originally - here all of the tracks are on one disc.

It's probably mispriced. The official price in Europe is 35€.

I generally find the spanish reissues overpriced, given the small investment by the label. But maybe it's better for the official labels if the public domain reissues are not too cheap.

Sometimes Amazon really misprices these things and only corrects later. I recall that I bought the Billie Holiday Columbia set put out by Definitive for about $20 and that was a 10 disc set.

As far as this set, I have everything except perhaps Presenting Jackie McLean (have to go look) so not too tempting.

Of course now that I look, I don't have Presenting JM and it generally runs $14 for a different grey market release. :blink:

Amazon price is still $18.99 as of today.

Edited by ejp626

• 1 month later...

I paid around £20 for mine when it first came out. Great set, great value but unfortunately some of these spanish things go oop quite quickly. I don't know if they ever repress - a look at the Fresh Sound website shows numerous items as currently unavailable.

In the vinyl days my personal rule was to buy when you see it, if you delay then you might not get the chance again. Same applies now.

Maybe it's only temporary, because of unexpectedly high demand. It would not make sense to let go OOP a topselling title for which no licensing is due.

Edit: according to the Fresh Sounds website it is currently available (€ 34.95 (USD 41.56))

Edited by Claude