New Selects now available for pre order

Gary

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

O.P on organ??? How do these sessions sound? Jazz is amazing, you learn something new every day. B)

© THE ROY ELDRIDGE QUINTET: Roy Eldridge (tp,vcl), Oscar Peterson (org), Barney Kessel (g), Ray Brown (B), J.C. Heard (d).

NYC, February 13, 1953

1081-2 Roy’s Riff Clef 89087

1082-1 Wrap Your Troubles In Dreams Clef 89097

1083-7 Rockin’ Chair (RE-vcl) Clef 89087

1084-4 Little Jazz Clef 89097

Note: All titles issued on Clef EPC199, MGC150, MGC704, Verve MGV8088. _____________________________________________________________________________

(D) THE ROY ELDRIDGE QUINTET: Roy Eldridge (tp), Oscar Peterson (org), Barney Kessel (g), Ray Brown (B), Jo Jones (d).

Fulton Studios, NYC, April 23, 1953

1222-1 Love For Sale Clef 89056

1223-5 Dale’s Wail -

1224-3 The Man I Love Clef (Au) CL011 (45)

1225-2 Oscar’s Arrangement -

1223-10 Dale’s Wail (alt) previously unissued

1223-12 Dale’s Wail (alt) previously unissued

1223-13 Dale’s Wail (alt) previously unissued

Note: All issued titles on Clef EPC200, MGC150, MGC705, Verve MGV8089. Take 13 of Dale’s Wail was originally chosen as the master take, but take 5 was ultimately used for release. The alternate takes of Dale's Wail were recorded at the end of the session.

Here's an interesting note at the end of the Eldridge listing:

***Note Regarding International Distribution.

In collaboration with The Verve Music Group, the Eldridge set is expected to be available at retail stores outside North America shortly after its initial November, 2003 release. These sets are part of the limited edition of 10,000.

Not only for the 'retail' distribution policy, but the large number of sets being made. I don't recall any other issues being 'limited' to 10,000.

BTW, as far as OPs organ playing, don't expect a "B-3" sound. I don't know how to describe it, it's a bit unusual, but it works in context. It would be interesting to hear why that instrument was chosen for those sessions.

Edited by BFrank

So much Roy! So much Oscar Peterson...

Oh well, it ain't a perfect world. But thanks for trying, Mr. Granz.

As it stands right now, this one might be my Christmas "present" from all the relatives' lump sum gifts. I DIG Roy Eldridge!

Edited by JSngry

The Pearson is a disappointment to me, though, setting aside the likelihood that Ron messed up the sound again. Only one previously unissued track ("Dialogo"). They left out the other two unissued tracks from those sessions (B and C), namely "Come On Over My Love" and "Is That So", as Michael Cuscuna does not like them. I guess he changed his mind about "Dialogo". I'm not paying $39.00 for this box.

However, if you have never heard this music, then grab it - there's some terrific stuff here.

I wonder if the recent price increase on the mainline Mosaic sets (up tp $17/disc) will hurt Mosaic in the long run, especially now with the music industry talking about lowering prices across-the-board. That Eldridge set - and I love him too! - looks awfully expensive compared to those Select sets, and not just because it'sa bigger set...

Here's an interesting note at the end of the Eldridge listing:

***Note Regarding International Distribution.

In collaboration with The Verve Music Group, the Eldridge set is expected to be available at retail stores outside North America shortly after its initial November, 2003 release. These sets are part of the limited edition of 10,000.

Not only for the 'retail' distribution policy, but the large number of sets being made. I don't recall any other issues being 'limited' to 10,000.

BTW, as far as OPs organ playing, don't expect a "B-3" sound. I don't know how to describe it, it's a bit unusual, but it works in context. It would be interesting to hear why that instrument was chosen for those sessions.

This same statement was included in the info for the recent Mulligan set.

The Pearson is a disappointment to me, though, setting aside the likelihood that Ron messed up the sound again. Only one previously unissued track ("Dialogo"). They left out the other two unissued tracks from those sessions (B and C), namely "Come On Over My Love" and "Is That So", as Michael Cuscuna does not like them. I guess he changed his mind about "Dialogo".

The description on the Mosaic site says it has two unreleased tracks!

Mosaic Select: Duke Pearson (MS-008)

Discography

DISC ONE

1. The Phantom (A) 10:18

2. Blues For Alvina (A) 3:08

3. Bunda Amerela (Little Yellow Streetcar (A) 5:44

4. Los Ojos Alegres (A) 6:15

5. Say You?re Mine (A) 5:36

6. The Moana Surf (A) 7:24

7. Theme From Rosemany?s Baby (A) 3:16

8. I Don?t Know ( B) 7:00

9. Captain Bicardi ( B) 5:40

10. Dialogo ( B) 3:34

11. Xibaba ( C) 6:32

12. Once I Loved (O Amor En Paz) ( C) 5:22

DISC TWO

1. Gira, Girou (Round And Round) (D) 7:19

2. Hermeto (D) 5:40

3. Lost In The Stars (D) 3:28

4. It Could Only Happen With You (D) 3:26

5. Stormy (D) 3:26

6. Book?s Bossa (D) 6:37

7. Emily (E) 3:59

8. Bloos (E) 7:38

9. I Don?t Care Who Knows It (E) 3:10

10. A Beautiful Friendship (E) 6:37

11. Horn In (E) 5:51

12. Canto Ossanha (E) 6:36

13. Sandalia Dela (F) 3:25

14. Tears (F) 3:25

15. Lamento (F) 2:50

16. Upa Neguinho (F) 1:57

DISC THREE

1. Stella By Starlight (G) 4:39

2. Clara (G) 2:43

3. Give Me Some Love (G) 3:24

4. Christo Redentor (G) 3:53

5. Little Song (G) 2:53

6. My Love Waits (O Meu Amor Espera) (G) 4:34

7. How Insensitive (Insensalez) (G) 2:13

8. Sleigh Ride (H) 6:30

9. Little Drummer Boy (H) 5:40

10. Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas (H) 2:00

11. Jingle Bells (H) 5:09

12. Santa Claus Is Coming To Town (H) 4:05

13. Go Tell It To The Mountain (H) 3:42

14. Wassail Song (H) 3:00

15. Silent Night (H) 4:13

16. O Little Town Of Bethlehem (H) 1:15

17. Old Fashioned Christmas (H) 2:26

(A) THE PHANTOM Jerry Dodgion, flute, alto flute; Bobby Hutcherson, vibes; Sam Brown, Al Gafa, guitars, Duke Pearson, piano; Bob Cranshaw, bass; Mickey Roker, drums; Victor Pantojo, Carlos ?Patato? Valdes, congas, percussion.

(B) I DON?T CARE WHO KNOWS IT Burt Collins, trumpet; Al Gibbons, flute; Jerry Dodgion, alto sax; Lew Tabackin, tenor sax; Bobby Hutcherson, vibes; Ralph Towner, Wally Richardson, guitars; Duke Pearson, electric piano; Bob Cranshaw, bass; Mickey Roker, drums; Airto Moreira, percussion, vocals.

© I DON?T CARE WHO KNOWS IT Burt Collins, trumpet; Al Gibbons, flute; Jerry Dodgion, alto sax; Frank Foster, tenor sax; Bobby Hutcherson, vibes; Al Gafa, guitar; Duke Pearson, electric piano; Bob Cranshaw, bass; Mickey Roker, drums; Airto Moreira, percussion, vocals; Stella Mars, vocals.

(D) IT COULD ONLY HAPPEN WITH YOU Burt Collins, Joe Shepley, trumpets; Kenny Rupp, trombone; Al Gibbons, alto flute, alto sax; Hermeto Pascoal, flute, guitar, bass; Theo, guitar; Duke Pearson, piano, electric piano; Bob Cranshaw, bass; Mickey Roker, drums, Flora Purim, vocals.

(E) I DON?T CARE WHO KNOWS IT Burt Collins, trumpet; Kenny Rupp, trombone; Jerry Dodgion, alto flute, alto sax; Frank Foster, tenor sax, alto clarinet; Lew Tabackin, tenor sax, flute; Duke Pearson, piano, electric piano; Ron Carter, bass; Mickey Roker, drums, Andy Bey, vocals.

(F) HOW INSENSITIVE Duke Pearson, piano; Dorio Ferreira, guitar, percussion; Bebeto Jose Souza, bass; Airto Moreira, drums; Mickey Roker, percussion; Flora Purim, vocal.

(G) HOW INSENSITIVE Duke Pearson, piano, electric piano; Al Gafa, electric guitar; Bob Cranshaw, bass; Mickey Roker, Airto Moreira, drums, percussion; New York Group Singers' Big Band; Jack Manno choral conductor.

(H) MERRY OLE SOUL Duke Pearson, piano, celeste; Bob Cranshaw, bass; Mickey Roker, drums; Airto Moreira, percussion.

Now which is the second?

The biggest disappointment to me is that Michael Cuscuna more and more often regards his personal tastes as better than that of the fans and buyers that make his living!

Edited by mikeweil

The Pearson is a disappointment to me, though, setting aside the likelihood that Ron messed up the sound again. Only one previously unissued track ("Dialogo"). They left out the other two unissued tracks from those sessions (B and C), namely "Come On Over My Love" and "Is That So", as Michael Cuscuna does not like them. I guess he changed his mind about "Dialogo".

The description on the Mosaic site says it has two unreleased tracks!

Mosaic Select: Duke Pearson (MS-008)

Discography

DISC ONE

1. The Phantom (A) 10:18

2. Blues For Alvina (A) 3:08

3. Bunda Amerela (Little Yellow Streetcar (A) 5:44

4. Los Ojos Alegres (A) 6:15

5. Say You?re Mine (A) 5:36

6. The Moana Surf (A) 7:24

7. Theme From Rosemany?s Baby (A) 3:16

8. I Don?t Know ( B) 7:00

9. Captain Bicardi ( B) 5:40

10. Dialogo ( B) 3:34

11. Xibaba ( C) 6:32

12. Once I Loved (O Amor En Paz) ( C) 5:22

DISC TWO

1. Gira, Girou (Round And Round) (D) 7:19

2. Hermeto (D) 5:40

3. Lost In The Stars (D) 3:28

4. It Could Only Happen With You (D) 3:26

5. Stormy (D) 3:26

6. Book?s Bossa (D) 6:37

7. Emily (E) 3:59

8. Bloos (E) 7:38

9. I Don?t Care Who Knows It (E) 3:10

10. A Beautiful Friendship (E) 6:37

11. Horn In (E) 5:51

12. Canto Ossanha (E) 6:36

13. Sandalia Dela (F) 3:25

14. Tears (F) 3:25

15. Lamento (F) 2:50

16. Upa Neguinho (F) 1:57

DISC THREE

1. Stella By Starlight (G) 4:39

2. Clara (G) 2:43

3. Give Me Some Love (G) 3:24

4. Christo Redentor (G) 3:53

5. Little Song (G) 2:53

6. My Love Waits (O Meu Amor Espera) (G) 4:34

7. How Insensitive (Insensalez) (G) 2:13

8. Sleigh Ride (H) 6:30

9. Little Drummer Boy (H) 5:40

10. Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas (H) 2:00

11. Jingle Bells (H) 5:09

12. Santa Claus Is Coming To Town (H) 4:05

13. Go Tell It To The Mountain (H) 3:42

14. Wassail Song (H) 3:00

15. Silent Night (H) 4:13

16. O Little Town Of Bethlehem (H) 1:15

17. Old Fashioned Christmas (H) 2:26

(A) THE PHANTOM Jerry Dodgion, flute, alto flute; Bobby Hutcherson, vibes; Sam Brown, Al Gafa, guitars, Duke Pearson, piano; Bob Cranshaw, bass; Mickey Roker, drums; Victor Pantojo, Carlos ?Patato? Valdes, congas, percussion.

(B) I DON?T CARE WHO KNOWS IT Burt Collins, trumpet; Al Gibbons, flute; Jerry Dodgion, alto sax; Lew Tabackin, tenor sax; Bobby Hutcherson, vibes; Ralph Towner, Wally Richardson, guitars; Duke Pearson, electric piano; Bob Cranshaw, bass; Mickey Roker, drums; Airto Moreira, percussion, vocals.

© I DON?T CARE WHO KNOWS IT Burt Collins, trumpet; Al Gibbons, flute; Jerry Dodgion, alto sax; Frank Foster, tenor sax; Bobby Hutcherson, vibes; Al Gafa, guitar; Duke Pearson, electric piano; Bob Cranshaw, bass; Mickey Roker, drums; Airto Moreira, percussion, vocals; Stella Mars, vocals.

(D) IT COULD ONLY HAPPEN WITH YOU Burt Collins, Joe Shepley, trumpets; Kenny Rupp, trombone; Al Gibbons, alto flute, alto sax; Hermeto Pascoal, flute, guitar, bass; Theo, guitar; Duke Pearson, piano, electric piano; Bob Cranshaw, bass; Mickey Roker, drums, Flora Purim, vocals.

(E) I DON?T CARE WHO KNOWS IT Burt Collins, trumpet; Kenny Rupp, trombone; Jerry Dodgion, alto flute, alto sax; Frank Foster, tenor sax, alto clarinet; Lew Tabackin, tenor sax, flute; Duke Pearson, piano, electric piano; Ron Carter, bass; Mickey Roker, drums, Andy Bey, vocals.

(F) HOW INSENSITIVE Duke Pearson, piano; Dorio Ferreira, guitar, percussion; Bebeto Jose Souza, bass; Airto Moreira, drums; Mickey Roker, percussion; Flora Purim, vocal.

(G) HOW INSENSITIVE Duke Pearson, piano, electric piano; Al Gafa, electric guitar; Bob Cranshaw, bass; Mickey Roker, Airto Moreira, drums, percussion; New York Group Singers' Big Band; Jack Manno choral conductor.

(H) MERRY OLE SOUL Duke Pearson, piano, celeste; Bob Cranshaw, bass; Mickey Roker, drums; Airto Moreira, percussion.

Now which is the second?

The biggest disappointment to me is that Michael Cuscuna more and more often regards his personal tastes as better than that of the fans and buyers that make his living!

I start getting mad at this B) smiley, because he pops up every time you type (B) or (B), no matter if you want him or not!!! :angry:

I'm really looking forward to the Curtis Amy Select. For those who have never had the pleasure of hearing "Katanga" you are in for a rare treat. IMO, that's easily the flagship of the whole fleet of Pacific Jazz reissues that came out 3-4 years ago. A shockingly good album. Dupree Bolton is also on that one and he's someone you just don't get to hear very often. I'm also excited to see that one of the sessions includes Victor Feldman. I can't get enough of him as a piano man. Anyone who questions this need look no futher than the five Shelly Manne At the Blackhawk CD's. Feldman's soloing and especially his comping just kick that band into a wholly higher gear.

The Pearson also works for me. I've got quite a lot of him, but none of the recordings that are included on the Select. How perfect is that?

The Eldridge is also on the docket big time. Guess I'll just start having the company deposit my next few paychecks directly into Mosaic's account.

Up over and out.

Mike, there is only ONE previously unissued track (unless there is one from that Christmas carol session, which I have always deliberately avoided - soon, the stores will all be pumping that junk out again; ugghh!). The new track is "Dialogo".

I am also sad to see that an old error in the instrumentation listings still persists. On "Canto Ossanha" (a great track, by the way), Frank Foster does not play an alto clarinet. He plays the Eb clarinet an octave below the alto, which is best described as an Eb contrabass clarinet. It's pitched a fifth below the regular Bb bass clarinet. With an extension down to its low C (which Frank's horn definitely has), it can get down to Eb (concert pitch) a half-tone below the bottom E of the bass fiddle. On the track, which is in E minor, you can hear Frank playing the bottom E of the bass fiddle. That's how you can tell that he's not playing the usual bass clarinet (much less the alto, which also doesn't have a low C). This horn sounds very similar to the Bb bass clarinet. The manufacturers sometimes call it an Eb contra-alto clarinet, which is a stupid name in my opinion.

I went into this with Michael Cuscuna a few years back, when I emailed him to ask for the release of the three unissued Pearson tracks. It took several emails back and forth to convince him of this, including a link to the French Leblanc website, which has details of the horn in question. But I do understand how busy Michael is, and I guess he forgot about it. It is not exactly a major world issue.

As a side note, there is another superb version of this Baden Powell tune on Cal Tjader's "Hip Vibrations" album, arranged by Benny Golson. On that album, they play it in Eb minor, for some reason. I wonder who knows the original key, and why someone shifted it a half-tone.

The Eldridge looks outstanding! I think he probably doesn't get the attention he deserves because Verve owns most of his recordings and they've been sitting on them (Decca, Keynote, and Verve). The Mosaic will rectify the situation.

Yeah there's a lot of OP, but hey, that's like complaining about a pimple on the Mona Lisa ^_^

Actually, for me, Oscar Peterson's OK and Granz certainly could have done a lot worse.

I'm frankly amazed anyone could be anything other than ecstatic about all three of these releases. With the Curtis Amy and Duke Pearson we have two of the most under-appreciated excellent artists ever FINALLY getting some due. You can quibble about minor details - who did the remastering, whether some previously unissued tunes made the final cut - but the fact that we're seeing Selects of these artists is just wonderful to me, and the fact that there is some honest to goodness really scarce stuff included is a major bonus.

And the Eldridge - this is WAY cool. Finally, those of us who came into jazz in the fairly recent past can delve deeply into his music without having to hunt high and low for scarce vinyl.

Mosaic is on a major winning streak IMHO.

I wonder if the recent price increase on the mainline Mosaic sets (up tp $17/disc) will hurt Mosaic in the long run, especially now with the music industry talking about lowering prices across-the-board. That Eldridge set - and I love him too! - looks awfully expensive compared to those Select sets, and not just because it'sa bigger set...

I really doubt it. Though I certainly don't care for any price increase...

I'm frankly amazed anyone could be anything other than ecstatic about all three of these releases.

Well I guess it has to start with me. I have no interest in any of these.

Goes for me too, perhaps with the exception of the Amy (it has a bit too much organ for me, though)

Well, as for the Selects, I have all this material save maybe an alternate take, and I'm trying to save money, so I'm not going to be preordering or even buying them soon.

BUT I think it is exciting that this material is being reissued; it really deserves it and Mosaic is doing a great service by releasing them. The Amy material is going to be a surprise for many here. And the Pearson material may be an acquired taste, but it is some of the best stuff that Blue Note put out in their final years (of the original company) and I've always loved these sessions.

The Eldridge should be a great set. It's a lot of Roy in one whack, but savored slowly it should really satisfy. It's nice that they are reissuing these hard to find lps that haven't been on cd!