Great Musicians' Instruments

Teasing the Korean

I was listening to "Bakiff" by Duke Ellington (Blanton-Webster band version) and was thinking how sad it was that Jimmy died so young.

It got me thinking about a subject I know almost nothing about:

What happened to famous musicians' instruments after they died? I realize, sadly, that some jazz musicians had their instruments in and out of pawn shops and Lord knows what happened to some of them.

Does anyone have any good stories about this, either proven, rumored, or anything else?

Edited by Teasing the Korean

I have vague memories (as many of my memories are) of 2 stories:

1) When Phil Woods was married to Chan Parker he played a gig using one of Bird's altos. Mingus came to the club and harassed him about it

(took it form him? stood in front of the bandstand staring at him? yelled at him?-- I forget).

2) Jimmy Blanton's bass was left to a cousin of his who later played with Ellington.

Both the stories could be apocryphal or some sort of acid flashbacks.

I remember seeing that L5 (single pickup custom model) that was owned by Wes on sale. I had required major restoration, having been in a fire. It may have still brought a six-figure price.

Kenny Burrell's 1956 D'Angelico New Yorker was also sold by one of the big dealers (may have been Mandolin Brothers) about 15 years ago. The asking price at that time was $75,000. It was probably worth at least half that even if it hadn't been owned by Burrell.

Around that same time, Johnny Smith's D'Angelico Special was purchased by a collector named Hank Risan, I believe somewhere in the $25,000 range, which was a bargain. Risan operates a "virtual guitar museum" online, here: Museum Of Musical Instruments

Here's the page showing Smith's D'A: Johnny Smith D'Angelico Special

Here is their page showing Barry Galbraith's Stromberg: 1950 Stromberg Master 400

One of Charlie Christian's Gibson ES-250's turned up a few years ago after being tracked down by a well-known guitar hound.

Here's a page devoted to Al Caiola's 1939 Gibson L5, which he used to record the theme for tv's "Bonanza" :excited:Caiola L5

1) In a recent interview with Marc Myers on jazzwax.com Dave Pell reveals he's the proud possessor of Pres's horn.

2) Somewhere on youtube there's a clip of British alto virtuoso Peter King demonstrating Bird's alto in a London auction house to a group of admirers from the Japanese Charlie Parker Society.

Wendell Marshall's family did end up with Jimmy Blanton's bass. Since Blanton was born in Chattanooga, our local African-American Museum discussed bringing the bass here, though the proposal was not welcomed by Marshall's heirs.

Paul Desmond willed his piano to Bradley's, though I've forgotten where it ended up after the club closed. His alto sax was willed to Michael Brubeck.

In the recent biography of Django Reinhardt it was mentioned that after his death, all of his possessions were burned, along with his trailer, in the gypsy tradition (a bizarre ritual).

What a waste...though it cuts down on family fights over who gets what...

heard an elderly gypsy in a call-in radio show a few weeks ago, his problem was that he had shot his wife sometime in the late seventies because she had cheated him and missed her badly he had just wanted to shoot the other man... the moderator asked "so, how come you had a weapon in your appartment", guy didn't understand it, so the question went back and forth a few times, then the man started to say "i'm a gypsy" but the moderator kept asking until after five or six exchanges the guy made it clear that by "i'm a gypsy" he meant "i'm a gypsy and all gypsies have weapons so i have a weapon, still have one at hand..." ... conversation didn't really lead anywhere - wants to say: they're fierce people...

Edited by Niko

Wendell Marshall's family did end up with Jimmy Blanton's bass. Since Blanton was born in Chattanooga, our local African-American Museum discussed bringing the bass here, though the proposal was not welcomed by Marshall's heirs.

Paul Desmond willed his piano to Bradley's, though I've forgotten where it ended up after the club closed. His alto sax was willed to Michael Brubeck.

That piano ended up at the Jazz Gallery.

There are tons of them at the Institute of jazz studies at Rutgers. They are in a room though, not on display.

Bertrand.

Wow, I had no idea.

Rutgers Digital Display

The musical instrument collection at the Institute of Jazz Studies includes:

Sam Jones cello

Marshall Brown left-handed trombone

Eddie Condon 4-string guitar

Pepper Adams baritone saxophone

Keg Purnell bass drum

Brad Gowans combination slide/valve trombone

Joe Newman flugelhorn

Joe Newman trumpet

Pee Wee Irwin trumpet

Don Byas tenor saxophone

Jack Teagarden trombone

Cootie Williams trumpet

Vic Dickenson trombone

Hayes Alvin bass guitars

Pee Wee Russell clarinet

Ben Webster tenor saxophone

Buck Clayton trumpet Red Nichols cornet

Bobby Hackett cornet

George Wettling drumsticks

Sonny Payne drumsticks

Roy Eldridge trumpet

Dickie Wells trombone

Howard McGhee trumpet mouthpieces and mutes

Miles Davis trumpet

Clarence Hutchinrider clarinet

Kid Ory trumpet

Benny Carter C-melody saxophone

Tommy Benford drum set

Lester Young tenor saxophone

Rahsaan Roland Kirk straight alto saxophone

Rahsaan Roland Kirk bass recorder

Rahsaan Roland Kirk baritone saxophone

• 3 years later...

I remember seeing that L5 (single pickup custom model) that was owned by Wes on sale. I had required major restoration, having been in a fire. It may have still brought a six-figure price.

Kenny Burrell's 1956 D'Angelico New Yorker was also sold by one of the big dealers (may have been Mandolin Brothers) about 15 years ago. The asking price at that time was $75,000. It was probably worth at least half that even if it hadn't been owned by Burrell.

Around that same time, Johnny Smith's D'Angelico Special was purchased by a collector named Hank Risan, I believe somewhere in the $25,000 range, which was a bargain. Risan operates a "virtual guitar museum" online, here: Museum Of Musical Instruments

Here's the page showing Smith's D'A: Johnny Smith D'Angelico Special

Here is their page showing Barry Galbraith's Stromberg: 1950 Stromberg Master 400

One of Charlie Christian's Gibson ES-250's turned up a few years ago after being tracked down by a well-known guitar hound.

Here's a page devoted to Al Caiola's 1939 Gibson L5, which he used to record the theme for tv's "Bonanza" :excited:Caiola L5

I just came across this at the website for Gruhn Guitars in Nashville:

Stromberg Master 400; 1940 VG, two repaired top cracks, 19" body width, natural finish, owned and used by Freddie Green of the Count Basie Orchestra, still strung with Freddie's strings, extensive documentation provided by Freddie's son Alfred Green, comes with Freddie's padded gig bag. $90,000.00

Stromberg guitars are considered to be among the finest (along with the original D'Angelico guitars) archtops ever made, and this example would still be worth perhaps $40K or $50K even without the Freddie Green provenance. At any rate, this one is obviously historically significant.

fg-stromberg01.jpgfg-stromberg03.jpg

1) In a recent interview with Marc Myers on jazzwax.com Dave Pell reveals he's the proud possessor of Pres's horn.

2) Somewhere on youtube there's a clip of British alto virtuoso Peter King demonstrating Bird's alto in a London auction house to a group of admirers from the Japanese Charlie Parker Society.

Here's a picture of Wes's guitar before and after post-fire restoration.My link

there is a more comprehensive article in August 98 Guitar Player magazine.

George Benson had Grant Green's D'Aquisto at one point but has since on sold it I believe.

My link

Actually it seems like Benson had the Montgomery and Green guitars at one point. The interview below suggests Pat Metheny owns the restored L-5 while the Green D'Aquisto has also been on sold...

"You recently auctioned off some instruments you owned that originally belonged to some pretty famous people.

GB. Yes. Pat Metheny bought Wes Montgomery’s L5 at auction. I didn’t know it until I ran into him in Europe and he said, “George, I got the Wes guitar.” And I’m happy, because now I know it’s in good hands. I worried about it when I auctioned it off. Also, Grant Green’s guitar. That’s one of the best-sounding instruments I’ve ever heard, but it was in my closet and I was afraid the termites were going to eat it up. Considering the times being what they were, we did very well and got a lot of money".

My link

Edited by freelancer

George Benson had Grant Green's D'Aquisto at one point but has since on sold it I believe.

My link

Actually it seems like Benson had the Montgomery and Green guitars at one point. The interview below suggests Pat Metheny owns the restored L-5 while the Green D'Aquisto has also been on sold...

"You recently auctioned off some instruments you owned that originally belonged to some pretty famous people.

GB. Yes. Pat Metheny bought Wes Montgomery’s L5 at auction. I didn’t know it until I ran into him in Europe and he said, “George, I got the Wes guitar.” And I’m happy, because now I know it’s in good hands. I worried about it when I auctioned it off. Also, Grant Green’s guitar. That’s one of the best-sounding instruments I’ve ever heard, but it was in my closet and I was afraid the termites were going to eat it up. Considering the times being what they were, we did very well and got a lot of money".

My link

"Considering the times being what they were, we did very well and got a lot of money".

Does George Benson really need the money?

My link

My link

"Considering the times being what they were, we did very well and got a lot of money".

Does George Benson really need the money?

I was wondering that myself. It seemed like a bit of a crap thing to say really. Kinda cheapens the legacy of the instruments. Especially considering how much he goes out of his way to honour the mentorship these guitarists gave him.