romualdo

Black Saint/Soul Note Box Sets

952 posts in this topic

These Cyrille discs are really nice, the ones with Ted Daniel in particular. I guess I have most of them, so won't be buying the set.

I have the Waldron set and it is indeed treble-heavy. Don't have the single CD issues to compare, though.

I'm also a big fan of those Cyrille discs.

Bley has six as a leader, three as a co-leader (w/Motian, Maslak, Peacock) and one with the Giuffre/Bley/Swallow Trio - which one will be missing?

Possibly the Motian, since that was included in the Motian box.

Bley has six as a leader, three as a co-leader (w/Motian, Maslak, Peacock) and one with the Giuffre/Bley/Swallow Trio - which one will be missing?

Possibly the Motian, since that was included in the Motian box.

The Giuffre was in the Giuffre box ... and others have already been duplicated, I think, and the Maslak is the lone one on Black Saint ... who knows. I'd just be happy to see the Maslak included (and would be majorly pissed if the Peacock wasn't).

Hi all,

My name is Chris, this is my first post on the Organissimo forums. I'm not really in to these "i'm new here" type posts but just out of respect i'll give a brief introduction. I've been posting on the AAJ forums for just over 4 years (not sure if this will endear me to you or not ha ha but i've enjoyed my time there overall).

Organissimo threads have come up quite often when i'm searching for info online, to the point where i'll often google an artists name along with 'Organissimo Forums' (for example 'Lee Konitz Organissimo Forums'), and what comes up usually makes for interesting reading. Anyway, i've decided to take the plunge and sign up. Cheers, everyone.

Anyway, to the thread at hand. I'm extremely happy to see that these sets are still being produced. Out of the latest batch i've really been hanging out for the Bley one. Seeing that they're doing another Murray set gives me hope that they may do another Steve Lacy set.

Welcome Chris!

Cheers for the welcome jazzbo, i appreciate it.

Good place to start! Glad to have another modern jazz fan on here.

the vendor site mention in post 578 has the photos of the front of the boxes. So you can read the albums included in each box. At the moment, the bley box does not include maslak's "not to be a star". But, the bley includes the "giuffre" - "conversations with a goose". and "memoirs" co-led with haden and motian

Thanks for the welcome, everyone.

the vendor site mention in post 578 has the photos of the front of the boxes. So you can read the albums included in each box. At the moment, the bley box does not include maslak's "not to be a star". But, the bley includes the "giuffre" - "conversations with a goose". and "memoirs" co-led with haden and motian

Aside from Conversations With a Goose, there's also a double up with the Motian set with the inclusion of Notes.

Full list FWIW:

Sonor

Tango Palace

Hot

Notes

Mindset

Live at Sweet Basil

Memoirs

Conversations With a Goose

Chaos

These are on amazon.fr now, and there's also a Gaslini.

Hi everyone,

How about the Farmer ? I have a lot of Jazztet and numerous Farmer's but don't

know those Soul Note ...

I've only heard a few of them, but they're nice. Art is pretty consistent! And these are good labels.

Bad with the Maslak! The duplicates of albums in earlier boxes were to be expected, but duplicate and omit other things makes no sense.

Also weird that the other Lyons/Cyrille duo album is missing.

The Murray leaves off five albums of those a search on the CAM site does display (I'm no Murray expert and he recorded a ton of stuff ... but missing are: Children, Interboogieology, the two volumes of Live at Sweet Basil and the duo with Randy Weston).

I count 13 Gaslini albums (plus four great volumes of his Intégrale) - another one with omissions.

Thanks for doing the work on them Murray set Flurin, without checking it looks like it will be his quartet discs.

Edited by JohnS

Thanks for doing the work on them Murray set Flurin, without checking it looks like it will be his quartet discs.

Not quite, "The Hill" is a trio (good one!), and there are some among the ones included that are quintets, too, I think?

OK, I finally got around to doing some A/B-ing of these boxes with the old CD issues using headphones. I checked Muhal Richard Abrams's "Blues Forever". It's a large band music allowing for a lot of dynamic variety. So yes, the new versions sound very treble-heavy and harsh. The large-ensemble passages are blurred and messy. The older versions sound significantly softer in comparison. For my ears, the old edition is much more enjoyable.

Checked the Dixon "Live in Italy 1" - same thing.

Edited by Д.Д.

OK, I finally got around to doing some A/B-ing of these boxes with the old CD issues using headphones. I checked Muhal Richard Abrams's "Blues Forever". It's a large band music allowing for a lot of dynamic variety. So yes, the new versions sound very treble-heavy and harsh. The large-ensemble passages are blurred and messy. The older versions sound significantly softer in comparison. For my ears, the old edition is much more enjoyable.

Checked the Dixon "Live in Italy 1" - same thing.

I'm glad to see that erwbol and I are not the only ones who are critical of the remastered sound.

I have a question - have any of these boxes gone out of print?

I have a question - have any of these boxes gone out of print?

You can wait for them to go away and say "Oh, shit". Seems like a plan.

- Art Farmer (6CD / BXS 21025)

:party:

I haven't checked the other new titles, but discplus.ch has the cover for this one, which as usual lists all the albums contained in the box:

1862357939.jpg

Edited by Kyo