American Jazz Tenor Saxophonists (book)

Anyone know anything about this book? American Jazz Tenor Saxophonists: John Coltrane, Dexter Gordon, Wardell Gray, Ron Holloway, Wayne Shorter, Sonny Rollins, Kenny G

The Amazon description is worthless, and I don't see much else about it during a quick web search.

Yes, I've spelled "worthless" incorrectly. How come I can't edit this post? Oh well... :rolleyes:

Edited by J.A.W.

Sounded promising until the last name on the list. :mellow:

So Red Holloway is actually "Ron". Didn't know that.

No, he isn't. Ron Holloway is a lot younger than Red. Ron got his start playing with Gil Scott-Heron in the eighties. He's not bad, but he doesn't have a big enough sound for my taste.

MG

Sounded promising until the last name on the list. :mellow:

So Red Holloway is actually "Ron". Didn't know that.

No, he isn't. Ron Holloway is a lot younger than Red. Ron got his start playing with Gil Scott-Heron in the eighties. He's not bad, but he doesn't have a big enough sound for my taste.

MG

Ah, I see- Red is James Holloway.

Kenny G used to play tenor...played it a lot with with Lorber (he was a lot less annoying then...I don't have a reflexive dislike for Jeff Lorber's work, nor a predisposition to like it either, but of his entire "ilk" of the time, his was a more obviously "jazz-based" music than anybody's, and Mr. Gorelick played it shallowly but pleasantly, which is 50% better that what he now does...but oh well about that) & on his very earliest, pre-"stardom" records.

Knew about Ron with Gil, not with Dizzy.

I came into possession of two Lorber LPs (no money left my wallet), at least one of which has Mr. Goerlick. My memory of these isn't strong, but I do recall them as a vague "peak" in his career.

Any chance the book is some kind of spoof? No author credit. It's not listed at, for instance, Borders.

Any chance the book is some kind of spoof? No author credit. It's not listed at, for instance, Borders.

It's listed at Amazon UK, and two of the Amazon market sellers have copies on offer, as well. The same firm has some at Amazon.com. I don't think it's a spoof.

The appearance of Ron Holloway's name in the title is the very odd one. Whatever one thinks of Kenny G, he has a kind of importance and his name can help sell a book. But Ron is one of the most deeply unimportant good sax players ever.

MG

• 1 month later...

Seems that this was just the "tip of the iceberg" for this publisher. More that I've found on similar themes:

Bebop Saxophonists: Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, Dexter Gordon, Wardell Gray, Ron Holloway, Gilad Atzmon, Sonny Rollins, Dick Morrissey

Modal Jazz Musicians by Instrument: Modal Jazz Clarinetists, Modal Jazz Drummers, Modal Jazz Flautists, Modal Jazz Organists

English Jazz Musicians by Instrument: English Jazz Alto Saxophonists, English Jazz Clarinetists, English Jazz Drummers, English Jazz Flautists

Dutch Jazz Musicians by Instrument: Dutch Jazz Cellists, Dutch Jazz Drummers, Dutch Jazz Flautists, Dutch Jazz Guitarists, Dutch Jazz Pianists

Dutch Drummers: Dutch Heavy Metal Drummers, Dutch Jazz Drummers, Dutch Rock Drummers, Collin Leijenaar, Dennis Leeflang, Han Bennink

Brazilian Jazz Guitarists: Baden Powell de Aquino, Egberto Gismonti, Antonio Carlos Jobim, João Gilberto, Luiz Bonfá, Toquinho

South African Jazz: South African Jazz Ensembles, South African Jazz Musicians, Hugh Masekela, Alex Van Heerden, the Blue Notes

In total, I see 87 of themon Jazz, based on a quickie search.

Anyone seen/read any of these?

Maybe it's one of those vanity press books. There is no author, just a "creator": LLC Books (which sounds strange in and of itself).

According to this page, 'Books LLC' is a company which is publishing Wikipedia articles in book form...

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100606233435AAQ1Fds

I'd rather read the Organissimo forums in book form!

Edited by Daniel A

Jazz Musicians Who Committed Suicide: J. J. Johnson, Jack Purvis, Ben Pollack, Frank Rosolino, Susannah McCorkle, Sonny Criss, Radka Toneff

Sicilian-American Jazz Musicians: Frank Sinatra, Joe Pass, Louis Prima, Papa Jack Laine, Nick Larocca, Chuck Mangione, Morgana King, Steve Gadd

Radio Stations Established in 1994: Bbc Radio 5 Live, Heart West Midlands, Galaxy Manchester, Wcrn, Wamg, Lbc News 1152, 100.4 Jazz Fm, Worc-Fm

Vocal Jazz Musicians: Louis Armstrong, Sarah Vaughan, Amy Winehouse, Morgana King, Norah Jones, Eartha Kitt, Nancy Wilson, Al Jarreau (Amy Winehouse?)

Albums Produced by Creed Taylor; A Secret Place, Getz|gilberto, the Blues and the Abstract Truth, Jazz Samba, Sugar, Salt Song

Recurring Events Established in 1967: Gen Con, Baja 1000, Consumer Electronics Show, Montreux Jazz Festival, Prix Du Muguet

Jazz Writers: Boris Vian, Amiri Baraka, Nat Hentoff, Orrin Keepnews, Stanley Crouch, Ralph J. Gleason, Leonard Feather, Dick Sudhalter

New York Jazz Quartet Members: Ron Carter, Hubert Laws, Billy Cobham, Roland Hanna, Frank Wess, Grady Tate, Richie Pratt, Ben Riley (50 pages)

American Jazz Horn Players: David Amram, Lew Soloff, Tom Varner, John Clark, Carmen Fanzone, John Graas, Bob Northern, James Buffington

Ghanaian Jazz Musicians: Cab Kaye (38 Pages)

By the way, I typoed up above. It's 870 books, not 87.

Guest Bill Barton

WTF? Enough with the categories and pigeonholes... Any of this stuff, whether it's for real or some kind of a spoof, would be mighty low on my "must read" list by the sound.

Maybe it's one of those vanity press books. There is no author, just a "creator": LLC Books (which sounds strange in and of itself).

According to this page, 'Books LLC' is a company which is publishing Wikipedia articles in book form...

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100606233435AAQ1Fds

I'd rather read the Organissimo forums in book form!

Thanks. I was wondering about the Nessa Records book.

Regarding Ron Holloway, I clipped this from his website,

...a member of Susan Tedeschi's Band but still finds time to appear as a frequent special guest of the Allman Brothers Band, Warren Haynes & Gov't Mule, the Derek Trucks Band, Taj Mahal, and Little Feat. Most recently Ron performed with Peter Frampton, Bruce Hornsby, Bernie Worrell and Col. Bruce Hampton at the Warren Haynes Christmas Jam !!!

Seems he has found a niche there.

Thanks. Y'all saved me a bit of money and a whole lot of disappointment. Okay, I overstate the potential disappointment; clearly I had my suspicions. If you start clicking through the links related to the book, you eventually end up at...wikipedia.