Esparanza Spalding beats out Justin Bieber for 'best new artist&#3

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I want to know is how can an artist who first released an album in 2006 and who released their 3rd album 4 years later can win best NEW artist?

omg, they just said BLUE NOTE RECORDS on the grammys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i think they were talking about an awarn won by bruce lundvall...BUT THEY SAID IT!

Wow! My world is now totally changed. It will never be the same. They uttered the name of a record label on TV. Now life is worth living.

Spalding in my experience (and I have heard her "live") is not-unpleasant and does have talent, but she strikes me as a lightweight at best. The media response to her music and her image, and this vote in particular, seem to me to be a latter-day form of Wynton-itis.

You're right. She's no Ga-Ga or Bieber... <_<

I kind of feel sorry for Justin Bieber, rarely has the music industry's cynicism and money grubbing been on such naked display as with this "artist." Once they're done making money off the tweeners who swoon over him, he'll be dumpster diving by the time he hits twenty-one.

Edited by Matthew

I agree, from a jazz perspective, she's pretty insubstantial. I think there's a little of what I call Sarah Palin syndrome afoot here in that her physical attractiveness makes up for her shortcomings in other areas. I've said all along that if Palin looked like Janet Reno, she would have had trouble getting elected dog catcher in Wasilla, much less mayor. And if Spalding looked like Moms Mabley, I'd like to introduce you to Justin Bieber, best new artist of 2010.

I think there's a little of what I call Sarah Palin syndrome afoot here in that her physical attractiveness makes up for her shortcomings in other areas. I've said all along that if Palin looked like Janet Reno, she would have had trouble getting elected dog catcher in Wasilla, much less mayor.

Wait a minute, did you say that Sarah Palin is attractive? I was not aware.

I think there's a little of what I call Sarah Palin syndrome afoot here in that her physical attractiveness makes up for her shortcomings in other areas. I've said all along that if Palin looked like Janet Reno, she would have had trouble getting elected dog catcher in Wasilla, much less mayor.

Wait a minute, did you say that Sarah Palin is attractive? I was not aware.

For a 47-year old woman? Yes. We're not talking Meg Ryan circa When Harry Met Sally attractive, but I've seen worse...a whole lot worse.

Hell hath no fury like a Belieber scorned: http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2011/02/14/hell-hath-no-fury-like-a-belieber-scorned/?hpt=C1

Ms. Spaulding is ok with me, and entirely less prefab that the Bieberboy.

Between this and Herbie winning album of the year last year(?) it seems like there might be an element within "the academy" that is rebelling against "the industry".

If so, anybody got a problem with that? I don't.

I really did not enjoy Spalding's performance the last time I saw here. In fact, I found it excruiciating.

But I'd still rather she get an award than Bieber. While the Biebster was thrust into this situation through no (or little) fault of his own, he is quickly becoming quite a twerp in his own right. (And his fans are even worse -- they've gone and vandalized Spalding's wiki page -- that'll show her!)

I think my biggest question is how does one qualify to be a new artist? She's had three albums as leader, starting from 2006. I guess the industry finally got the promo copies in the mail... One of these days, the Onion should do a piece on James Taylor or an equivalent being nominated for best new artist.