What to Reissue Number Two

jonathanhorwich

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Streams" (Impulse) would need some kind of real CD reissue as well. But I would (unknowingly) assume Impulse to be out of reach?

Would love the tuba trios! And "Paragon", which I consider one of his very best. Less sure "Rendez-Vous" is really up to your (Jonathan's!) high standards, but a fine one it is. "Waves" is excellent, but probably too readily available? "Sizzle" and "The Quest" I don't know so far.

I'll have to pick up the unedited Sound. I don't know why never knew that what is commercially available on CD differed significantly from the Delmark LP, which I picked up as I was just getting into jazz.

Thought that Graves was against having his music reissued while he was still alive, though with the NYAQ box that stance might have changed. The SRP records are cool, though I've long felt like they were "studies" for something we never got to hear. For example, their playing on More Giuseppi Logan is like the music from Yale, but fleshed out with reeds and bass.

Another vote for the Rivers Tuba Trios. A reissue of all three lps would probably be a 2 cd set. It would be great if those lps could get the International Phonograph treatment.

There were 3 proper LPs but the whole sets were stretched out over 5 LPs. I think the 2 that got the rest were called Flutes! and Una Muy Bonita. But they would fit on 2 CDs indeed, as the whole thing lasts for 2 hours and 12+ minutes.

"Streams" (Impulse) would need some kind of real CD reissue as well. But I would (unknowingly) assume Impulse to be out of reach?

Streams was released several times on CD, nicest by far was a Japanese high quality mini LP sleeve version, which pops up time to time on eBay for reasonable(?) prices.

BUT, some Impulse! things that would REALLY need to be reissued is the rest of this album that was reissued as otherwise awesome "Trio Live," I know some stuff was omitted from there because of 1 CD time restraints.

Also, the utterly fascinating "Sizzle" has seen no reissue at all. Now, that is as close as Sam Rivers ever got to releasing a funk album.

Sam Rivers' ​The Quest — which is an excellent record — has been reissued by Red Records. It can be purchased, mp3 or vinyl (no CD as far as I know), on Amazon. The digital album currently costs $6. Carpe diem!

Paragon was on the Fluid label — check it out, Jonathan. An International Phonograph reissue would be amazing. It's one of Sam's best records from the 70's.

The complete TUBA TRIO records — Essence: The Heat and Warmth of Free Jazz — would make a wonderful 2-disc reissue. Warren Smith's purple drum set on the cover would encourage sales.

EJN97409.jpg

Thought that Graves was against having his music reissued while he was still alive,

Why would that be? Just curious.

My understanding is that he is more interested in the "now" and the "future" than the past. He's also been very wary of record companies, with the exception of Tzadik, and the idea that someone may profit from his work (other than him or his students). He's certainly not the only musician who has felt that way.

The entire HORO Records label would need a real serious and organic CD Reissue program...

Founded in Italy in 1972 by the now defunct (2009) producer and filmaker Aldo Sinesio, The HORO Records is one of the most prestigious italian jazz label

In its series we find more than 70 titles documenting some of the best jazz recorded in the 70's....

Just to begin...if i could choose one/two or more titles...i love these..i have both on vinyl and they sound really great!!!!!

21-1.jpgCover.jpg

I'm amazed that this label hasn't been dealt with in any concerted way as far as reissues go. There's so much excellent stuff in the catalog. My understanding is that Sinesio didn't want his titles reissued in any form, but I suppose that could change depending on what the family wants to do with it.

Edited by clifford_thornton

I live in Italy, i'm involved in music in a way or another and i can personally confirm that at least two smalls but very active italian labels have contacted the family

to discuss and make a CD reissue program but the answer was Always negative...and apparently it's not a matter of money.

it's just..they seem not to be interested in the Whole thing..to sell the music rights and to have access to the catalog masters.

Only a few titles have been illegally reissued (??)..actually someone in Spain has just rip a good vinyl copy and put it out on CD and that's a shame!!!

If we take a look at this Amazing catalog we can only hope that before or after the Sinesio legacy open his eyes and donate his music to us.... :Nod:

http://www.hororecords.com/en/allcatalog.html

Thankfully most of the old Horo vinyls can still be found on eBay/discogs etc for not too much of a high cost but that said I regret selling my mint copy of Steve Lacy's "eronel" in leaner times around 15 years ago...that one seems to be a tough one to find now and when it does surface it seems to go for at least double or triple then what I sold my copy for way back :(

A nice record from italian trumpet Enrico Rava worth of reissue is.....

8796c09e1bcdc40383c2858fbe36add561676b86

1. Bunny's Pie
2. Trial N. 5
3. Dimenticare Stanca
4. Katcharpari
5. Fluid Connection
6. Cheerin' Cherry
7. Peace

Enrico Rava: tp & flh - John Abercrombie: g - Bruce Johnson: b - Chip White: ds

Milan, Italy - January 10, 1973

(BASF)

yeah, it's a good one, although I do prefer the Horo and of course his work with Lacy.

Are you referring to this record: ?...

"The Forest & The Zoo" (1966) - Steve Lacy (ESP 1060)

great counterpoint exchanges between Lacy and Rava.

It has been remastered and reissued on CD some years ago fixing a technical issue (out of phase)

of the original vinyl copy.

yeah, it's a good one, although I do prefer the Horo and of course his work with Lacy.

Are you referring to this record: ?...

"The Forest & The Zoo" (1966) - Steve Lacy (ESP 1060)

great counterpoint exchanges between Lacy and Rava.

It has been remastered and reissued on CD some years ago fixing a technical issue (out of phase)

of the original vinyl copy.

Was not aware of this technical issue? Have the original Lp and it sounds fine to me.

I have that BASF LP and agree it is nice. Also the Rava LP on Vista is very good (same band pretty much as "quotation marks"). Also have a rare Rava LP released only in Argentina from this vintage that is really good. Maybe I'll pull it out tonight and play it..