JLH reissue plans

jonathanhorwich

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear All, Yes all 1500 copies are now gone--officially shipped today to the distributor. Dusty Groove and Amazon still have copies and that I just shipped today means many outlets will still have it for a few weeks I imagine. I would only reprint if I knew I could sell 1000 more and that is unlikely. So that is that on Dogon A.D. Done deal. Working on the next.

Dear All, Yes all 1500 copies are now gone--officially shipped today to the distributor. Dusty Groove and Amazon still have copies and that I just shipped today means many outlets will still have it for a few weeks I imagine. I would only reprint if I knew I could sell 1000 more and that is unlikely. So that is that on Dogon A.D. Done deal. Working on the next.

Jon, can you clarify - amazon says they have none in stock right now. Do you mean you just sent them some and they should have it in stock soon?

Guy

Jon, can you clarify - amazon says they have none in stock right now. Do you mean you just sent them some and they should have it in stock soon?

Guy

Try CD U. They claim to have it in stock. I've used them for nearly a decade, and in my mind, they have been way more reliable than Amazon.

If you want to verify with a live person, call (800) 231-7937, option 1.

Guy

Amazon would buy from the distributor. Amazon ran out, reordered from the distributor and awaits shipment.

Received my copy today - clearly a labor of love - what a meticulous reissue! Thanks a lot for the effort. And I will keep it, as - thanks to many a post in this thread - I can appreciate the music much better now than in 1977 when the Freedom LP was out.

You should offer your reissues on a subscription basis - when done that well, you can't go wrong, no matter what the music is.

Having spent the most time in the past with vinyl rips of Dogon A.D. (I think Screwgun's online "release" of the album in the mid-2000s was a big part of how the music developed such a huge cultural cache in recent years--though I don't think I'm overstating the case when I say that this has long been one of the most influential albums among the under 40 set of jazz experimentalists), this reissue is a revelation. The depth of the sound field and the starkness of the separation make it sound like something else altogether... I'd been listening to this clammy, fuzzy sound for so long that it felt like vinyl clicks and pops were a fundamental part of the album.

That being said, I'm really amazed at how rough this music is--and I mean that in the best way possible. The passage of time, naturally, forges innovations into steely, precise techniques--this being one of my criticisms of a lot of free jazz of the past fifteen or twenty years. Any number of younger bands could cut the living hell out of an 11/4 vamp (or 11/16--I heard someone say that the "Dogon" vamp was 11/4, but it's pretty easy to hear as two quarters + three 16ths, I think), but I can't think of too many current musicians who could take an odd-metered exercise and make it about anything other than the meter--which is precisely what this band does. I love how/when Wadud and Wilson get off each other now and again, because this would totally derail a lesser music; Dogon just floats through its technical hiccups because Hemphill's music prioritizes the vocalistic and sonic over the mechanical.

It's actually easy to hear Dogon as the inception of later schools of riff-y/odd-metered experimentalism, or rather as a validation of that "idiom" as a platform for freer improvisation. Kind of like how Roscoe, Muhal, and the AACM invoked subtraction and silence as a different way of getting at the emotional/spiritual ecstasy of old-school, combustible free jazz (ala Trane), Hemphill invoked angular cyclicalism and stasis as organizing principles--just another way "out" of the free music soup and into something fresh and full of possibility.

Very well said, indeed - you're responsible for me getting a copy - your post pushed my curiosity over the edge.

The main difference to today's guys playing 11/16 or whatever is they're playing licks - but Hemphill et al are really improvising and listening - that's a big difference!

Dear All, Again, thanks for you kind comments. Amazon runs in and of stock as they sell out and get more. It is selling much faster than any of us imagined. Just try another vendor like Dusty Groove and then CD Baby or someone. Goggle the title and artist and you'll find someone with it. But not for long as I'm out and down to personal copies as mentioned. And 400 more copies are now on their way to the distributor so there are some left for sale.

I finally did decide to upgrade my LP copy of this album, seeing as how I would also be getting The Hard Blues as a bonus. I can't say enough good things about Hemphill. I just spent the day listening to the two duet CD's with Wadud, the duo Chile New York with Warren Smith, and the WSQ recordings Revue and Live at the Brooklyn Academy of Music. Seeing him play Roi Boye and the Gotham Minstrels in person at The Tin Palace was unforgettable. I traded him snapshots of it for a copy of Blue Boye. My reel to reel dub of his WBAI performance (12/04/76) of Roi Boye is still playable, I think. Haven't listened to it in a while. It seems like he was underrecorded, yet there are so many touchstone albums. Buster Bee with Lake, Raw Materials and Residuals with Wadud and Moye. He was thoughtful and deliberate in his speech and his playing. A giant in every way. I was lucky to be in New York at the same time he was.

Edited by ATR

Dear All, Again, thanks for you kind comments. Amazon runs in and of stock as they sell out and get more. It is selling much faster than any of us imagined. Just try another vendor like Dusty Groove and then CD Baby or someone. Goggle the title and artist and you'll find someone with it. But not for long as I'm out and down to personal copies as mentioned. And 400 more copies are now on their way to the distributor so there are some left for sale.

Sheesh - that's great news, really. Although my review runs in December; hope there are some copies left for readers to purchase!

Dear All, my distributor has asked me to reprint as Amazon tried to order over 600 copies of it. So I'm looking into a 600 copy or 1100 copy reprint. This is selling way way faster than Dixon did.

I'm not one of your customers, as I have the original pressing of the Dixon LP and a nice copy of the of the Arista/Freedom issue of the Hemphill, but I'm really glad to hear this. I hope you sell a ton of both.

Dear All, my distributor has asked me to reprint as Amazon tried to order over 600 copies of it. So I'm looking into a 600 copy or 1100 copy reprint. This is selling way way faster than Dixon did.

I'm not surprised. I think it is a much better record.

Some people like apples, some people like oranges, and some people like both.

I just ordered the Hemphill and the Dixon from CDHut on eBay, because CD Universe is back-ordered on the Hemphill. As soon as I paid, I got an automated 'thank-you' from stephen@jazzloft.com! I didn't realize CDHut was run by Jazz Loft, as I do my best to avoid this cat. At least I've got these two on the way.

EDIT: I just emailed him to refund my PayPal payment. I'd rather take my chances that the Hemphill sells out.

Edited by peterintoronto

I'm not surprised. I think it is a much better record.

Some people like apples, some people like oranges, and some people like both.

Would you like me to remind you of that next time you post an opinion?

I like both, I think the Hemphill is better. Different kinds of apple. For whatever reason, sales reflect this. I don't mind that people use this board to push their stuff, but I do mind if their presence suppresses any interesting discussion.