JLH reissue plans

jonathanhorwich

I just ordered the Hemphill and the Dixon from CDHut on eBay, because CD Universe is back-ordered on the Hemphill. As soon as I paid, I got an automated 'thank-you' from stephen@jazzloft.com! I didn't realize CDHut was run by Jazz Loft, as I do my best to avoid this cat. At least I've got these two on the way.

EDIT: I just emailed him to refund my PayPal payment. I'd rather take my chances that the Hemphill sells out.

Still wondering --- what's the beef against "this cat"?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just ordered the Hemphill and the Dixon from CDHut on eBay, because CD Universe is back-ordered on the Hemphill. As soon as I paid, I got an automated 'thank-you' from stephen@jazzloft.com! I didn't realize CDHut was run by Jazz Loft, as I do my best to avoid this cat. At least I've got these two on the way.

EDIT: I just emailed him to refund my PayPal payment. I'd rather take my chances that the Hemphill sells out.

Still wondering --- what's the beef against "this cat"?

Peter launched a one-man campaign against Jazz Loft here in 2009 when he didn't receive his order in a timely manner. No one agreed with his negative view of JL, and so he used the board to publicly call out the owner, who was/is also a board member. It was a sad and seemly affair, one that I would have hoped Peter had gotten over by now.

Read it here

I got it a few days ago(CD Imports on Amazon. I was a bit hesitant because I had ordered something previously from them and they didn't have it. Got a refund though, without any hassle) and gave it a spin and I think it's GREAT. I had never heard it previously and I was wary about ordering it due to the instrumentation. Cello instead of bass led me to think it might sound a bit tinny or stiff as far as the rhythm goes. I was completely wrong. The music is raw, it swings like mad and doesn't sound the least bit tinny or stiff. Kudos to JLH for an excellent reissue, bith in terms of sound and packaging. Please let us know of any future releases, there's sure to be a lot of interest.

Peter launched a one-man campaign against Jazz Loft here in 2009 when he didn't receive his order in a timely manner. No one agreed with his negative view of JL, and so he used the board to publicly call out the owner, who was/is also a board member. It was a sad and seemly affair, one that I would have hoped Peter had gotten over by now.

Read it here

I try my best not to give my money to frauds. Whether or not anyone on this board agrees with anything I 'say' on here (not just about Alan) doesn't keep me up at night. I had a number of people (4-5?) PM me and relay their own bad dealings with these people back when I wrote my original thread. Jazz Loft has had multiple accounts suspended here yet keeps making new ones, so perhaps I'm not alone in my opinions?

The transactions have been cancelled, I have received my refund and the mistake in not knowing CD Hut was Jazz Loft was mine and mine alone.

Case closed.

Edited by peterintoronto

Finally got my copy of the CD today - amazing! Fantastic cover reproduction (as was expected after the wonderful Dixon reissue), and the music is effin' great! Love to finally own all of it on a CD!

And as others said: the discussion here is fascinating and definitely helps to really appreciate this particular album the way it ought to be appreciated!

I don't know why I'm even bothering here but I find it bitterly ironic that a board whose members have a tendency to get rather sanctimonious about buying new jazz have managed to find a way to turn on someone who (I think) goes above and beyond to make this music easily available for purchase in the US. Just my two cents.

All of the issues with the sound, particularly on The Hard Blues, have always been there. I have the first LP versions of Dogon A.D. and Coon Bidness. State of the art music and improvisation but not recording. Nice quality packaging on this edition, even though Mbari should get the lion's share of the credit IMO.

• 4 weeks later...