JLH reissue plans

jonathanhorwich

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I could listen to it first, but I guess there's little chance of that...

Despair not: http://www.organissi...-at-newport-63/

The link in the first post is still live. http://www.archive.o...Live-Newport-63

Thanks.

The music sounds interesting, but I'm still not sure I'd spend $60 for a box, the more so since it'd probably be insanely expensive to have it mailed to Europe - and I'm not even talking about any tax/duty that would be payable...

Hey, thanks for all your useful data guys. I will try and keep it to $50.00. I really will. But 60.00 is 20.00 per CD not even counting the new deluxe box. I can't do it any other way than as you've seen my other releases so the box will have to be killer or I won't be proud of it. If I'm not proud of it, well I won't put it out. If something is worth doing, it is worth doing as best as one can. But I digress.

SuperBad and those in Europe if you can't get the thing easily email me at jonathanhorwich@me.com and I'll fix you up. So don't worry about that.

As far as wanting to hear it first, I find the Live at Newport 63 vinyl music good but not stirring, except the bass playing. (The reverb added in the studio ruins the impact for me as it is so darn excessive.) But once I heard the original unedited, unreverbed 3 track masters, and the real live set, well that was a different matter. The Live set is really really fine. And the bass playing is as good as it gets by anyone at anytime. And surely Russell Thorne's arco bass work is untouched. He was trained as a classical musician here in Chicago. His playing is why I am putting it out. It is not just very good, it is extraordinary and must be documented so it is there for the future. That's why I'm taking a chance on this set. And of course, we've all bought CDs with hopeful expectations only to be disappointed. Well many many times for me. So you always take a chance with buying something not known or heard. But that's the way this hobby is. I think the music and packaging of this compilation will be fair for that price. How someone could not want to have this documentation of one of the greatest jazz bass players ever to pick up the instrument, I don't know. And the rest of the playing is very good and unusual and original.

So thanks, I'll probably do the project and pray to the Jazz God he guides me through to the end.

Edited by JLH

David, thanks. I don't' think most people feel it is boring. As this is an aesthetic judgment I can't say much more about that. But most who have heard it think it is good music. I don't' think it is boring especially if you listen to Dexterity (even though heavily edited), or to Russell Thorne's bass playing. Boring he is not for my ear. But I know what you are saying and it may work against me. It is a dicey decision as it is financially risky. I could just put out one CD with the real live stuff which is seriously good and with a few additions from the studio sessions like Dexterity in its full length and leave it at that. That would be a gem of a CD. And no one would fine that boring in the least. I'll just have to see how it works for me financially.

Edited by JLH

JLH's track record has pretty impressive to date IMO.

Exactly. The Daley Trio was an important piece of Chicago jazz history--actually, IMO, of free-jazz history--with other virtues along with Russell Thorne. The box ought to be a goodie.

One of that trio's few gigs was at the 1965 Down Beat Jazz Festival in Chicago. Quite impressive. Clyde Flowers was the bassist that day.

I could just put out one CD with the real live stuff which is seriously good and with a few additions from the studio sessions like Dexterity in its full length and leave it at that. That would be a gem of a CD. And no one would fine that boring in the least. I'll just have to see how it works for me financially.

Maybe worth considering. A box set would reach fewer people and move much more slowly, I suspect. Although collectors love a niche product!

I can't believe I'm saying this, but what about doing a slimmer single-disc version and then including in the package a link to the FLACs of the rest of the material? Or streaming on the SoundCloud site? I mean, as a bit of a collector myself the three-disc idea is attractive, but I understand why it might not be feasible to 1,500 people. Then again, finding answers to these questions (among many other scenarios) is why people like me don't try to run a record label.

I could just put out one CD with the real live stuff which is seriously good and with a few additions from the studio sessions like Dexterity in its full length and leave it at that. That would be a gem of a CD. And no one would fine that boring in the least. I'll just have to see how it works for me financially.

Maybe worth considering. A box set would reach fewer people and move much more slowly, I suspect. Although collectors love a niche product!

I hope you don't mind me offering this idea; how about putting out multiple volumes? As a precedent, there's 5 volumes of the Shelly Manne Blackhawk recordings and there's 3 volumes of Hampton Hawes All Night Session. If you just released multiple cds, then you wouldn't need to pay for slipcase and people on a tight budget, like myself, could pick up the releases separately when I could.

I was embarrassed to answer your previous question about pricing, since I'm between jobs and struggling. This is a new experience for me, but in the past I wouldn't have had a problem paying $50-$60 for a set of this quality.

The quality of your releases make anything you issue a "must buy" for me and I will find a way to purchase them. :)

AfricaBrass, thanks. That was my first idea and I may just do it. Put out the three CDs one by one. Or maybe do a two CD package with the usual covers I provide with a CD inserted on each side and pick the best of the music and have a nice two CD package priced at around 25.00. So I've got food for thought.

AfricaBrass, thanks. That was my first idea and I may just do it. Put out the three CDs one by one. Or maybe do a two CD package with the usual covers I provide with a CD inserted on each side and pick the best of the music and have a nice two CD package priced at around 25.00. So I've got food for thought.

Your welcome! I'm so glad that you had already thought of this. I'm excited about whatever option you choose. :)

Or do the album and then offer a two CD package as you describe with the rest of the material?

I say just go ahead and do it as planned. You got plenty of "angles" to work here in terms of generating interest - early Chicago, non-AACM "free" jazz, a Lost Giant in Russell Thorne, and a Future Hero in Hal Russell. Initial sales at $50.00 might be limited to the hard core, but if the music delivers (and I've no reason to believe that it won't), the word of mouth and word of press should generate a second wave of interest. And a bit of ongoing PR can get people to save their money for it if they need to. People do that. I know I do.

1500 units seems doable. You'll probably have to pimp Joe Daley a lot harder than you would Bill Dixon or Julius Hemphill, I mean, who outside of a small handful have ever heard of him, much less heard the RCA album, and memories of him suggest that he was not some sort of "visionary" (I actually attended college with one of his students - who offered me $100.00 for my copy of the album, no deal - who described him as an incredibly harsh taskmaster about learning the fundamentals of the music and the instrument, harsh, but with a cause, not just to be an asshole), or that his trio was the unit of organic wonderfulness that give people the teary-eyed shimmy-shivers, but - today it's a damn good story with, I'm assuming, a lot of damn good music that's never been heard before. Probably won't "fly out the door", but if you can afford to sit on some inventory for a year or two (maybe three), I'd think that you could move all or most of the 1500 units you say you need to move.

As mentioned before, I've had the RCA album for about 40 years now, and am chomping at the bit to hear this set, in full, as originally described, with or without the airplane noise (preferably with).

Of course, I'm no record man, so take this all with a block or three of salt. But as a consumer, I am down with it as three discs at $50.00 (hell, even $60.00). So down with it.

Bring it on!

Edited by JSngry

Or do the album and then offer a two CD package as you describe with the rest of the material?

I LOVE this idea!

This deserves some thought. There might not be much of a market for sequential Joe Daley releases. A number of people would probably buy the first one and then stop. Putting it all together from the outset and getting a bit of hype going around it as "previously unheard essential jazz" might actually maximize profits.

After listening to a very old scratchy LP of the Joe Daly, I can't wait to hear what it will sound like on a multiple CD issue. This trio is killin' and the bass playing is fantastic!! I like the box set idea at around $45-50.00 -- I will definitely buy it. I'm not sure I'm the one to ask, though, as I bought 2 copies of the Hemphill and the Dixon releases -- one for home and one for car/work! My favorite reissues of the last years!! Keep up the great work JLH!!!