All Things Hat

Late

(discplus.ch - seems they do ship abroad but I have no clue what that costs)

I put a disc in my cart out of curiousity, and the economy shipping to the U.S. seems to be €3.82. Two discs = €6.05. It goes up on a sliding scale.

That's rather steep! But then I guess it's just a reflection of Swiss post's prices!

Anyway, if anyone has wanted "Rara Avis" for years, this won't keep him! Even less the fact that the disc is listed for only 6 euro!

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

(discplus.ch - seems they do ship abroad but I have no clue what that costs)

I put a disc in my cart out of curiousity, and the economy shipping to the U.S. seems to be €3.82. Two discs = €6.05. It goes up on a sliding scale.

That's rather steep! But then I guess it's just a reflection of Swiss post's prices!

Anyway, if anyone has wanted "Rara Avis" for years, this won't keep him! Even less the fact that the disc is listed for only 6 euro!

Steep?? You're kidding! The lowest rate for a package (up to 250 grams) from the Netherlands to the U.S. is €5.34 or about $7.20, and it's not even traceable!

Edited by J.A.W.

I have a question for those of you that own the LP's, and keep in mind that I have not seen the LP covers. Are the Hat Hut red-spine cd reissues, the original LP covers? I don't have scans of my cds handy, but the Tapscott's, for example, have these Lichenstein-like abstract drawings. Even if they're not, these are some pretty cool covers. :tup

Many of them aren't. HatHut has gone through many design schticks over the years. The Ra gets a new look every times it's reissued. Dark Tree was never on LP, IIRC.

• 2 weeks later...

A little discussion from the "what are you listening to right now"-thread, pasting it in here to bring it in context:

Marc Copland - Haunted Heart

f47375pph7b.jpg

I noticed that according to the back cover, this release is "made possible by the Danzas Group, the leading global provider of logistics solutions."

What's up with that? Sort of like a Coca Cola commercial on the back of a Hat release? :huh:

581b.gif

nothing much, just a sponsoring deal - the run of Ellery Eskelin discs was sponsored, too - in fact hat used to be sponsored UBS, one of the largest swiss banks, before they stopped sponsoring culture and started doing just sports (Alinghi, anyone?) - as far as I know it's a simple fact that hat/Uehlinger couldn't do what he does without any sponsoring.

Thanks for the info, Flurin. I can understand the sponsoring aspect, but it just seemed odd seeing the advertising on the back of the packaging. I don't think I've ever noticed that before on any other releases.

The UBS logo appears on hatOLOGY 501-550, has vanished on 555 (I don't have 551-554 but you can check the backcovers on their website).

The Eskelin series was sponsored by the chap from Vitra (the great chairs manufactury - they're located on the German side just outside of Hat hometown Basle).

Clariant appears on 590 (Daniele D'Agaro w/Glerum & Bennink "Strandjutters"), Danzas also on 555 (Ortega's great "Scattered Clouds"), and finally the Trapist disc (586) has a logo from SKE (soziale & kulturelle einrichtungen) but the're not actaully mentioned in the thanks list... it's a common deal for large corporations to sponsor cultural events in Switzerland, the company I work at (parttime) sponsors, for instance, the Kunsthaus Zürich, the Zurich Opera House, the theatre festival "Theaterspektakel", and other events. They also have a collection of art (for instance stuff by Fischli/Weiss) which they buy as some kind of prestigious asset, I guess, moreso than as a pure investment, though that aspect certainly plays a role in their decisions...

I also quickly had a look at my hatNOW discs, there are other sponsors there, notably some Austrian national organisation. I have about 80 or so of the hatOs, not many of the most recent ones (I try getting them cheap since they're ridiculously overprized in local stores) and only about 12 hatNOW discs, just in case.

Addition: the UBS logo (that stylized key thing, first just the image, then the three letters "UBS", too, before it was "Swiss Banking Corporation") is in the orange thing on the right of the cover, usually below the adds for other releases and on top of the barcode.

Yes, I recall that a number of events in Stuttgart were also sponsored in the same manner, when I lived there. The LBBW (Landesbank Baden Wurttemburg) sponsored a number of performances, for instance.

Concerts and tours and so forth are sponsored here in the U.S. for big acts, typically the rock n roll stuff, and even Coca Cola sponsors Dizzy's Club at the Lincoln Center (unfortunately).

What's still curious to me is advertising on CD packaging in general. I guess I'm thankful that it hasn't gotten to the point where Coca Cola and Marlboro logos are plastered all over the lastest Verve & EMI releases.

Edited by Aggie87

What's still curious to me is advertising on CD packaging in general. I guess I'm thankful that it hasn't gotten to the point where Coca Cola and Marlboro logos are plastered all over the lastest Verve & EMI releases.

They put subliminal messages on those releases in lieu of advertising on the covers. Haven't you ever noticed how good a coca-cola sounds right after listening to the RVG edition of Conquistador?

I have a question for those of you that own the LP's, and keep in mind that I have not seen the LP covers. Are the Hat Hut red-spine cd reissues, the original LP covers? I don't have scans of my cds handy, but the Tapscott's, for example, have these Lichenstein-like abstract drawings. Even if they're not, these are some pretty cool covers. :tup

Many of them aren't. HatHut has gone through many design schticks over the years. The Ra gets a new look every times it's reissued. Dark Tree was never on LP, IIRC.

Thanks. I didn't know that about the Tapscott disks. I guess I'm really curious about the LP covers now, since some of you guys have been really crowin' about them. Any images/scans?

It's done pretty decently on the hats, not really advertising, rather just saying thanks and having the small logo there - FBI warnings on US disks are far more annoying and are kind of an advertisment, too, aren't they? Also they suggest me, the paying customer, being a guilty criminal really...

As for the cover discussion, I think the current layout is by far the best. It's difficult to find older covers online, but the preceeding one was this:

hat6149.gifhat6155.gif

Here's an example of an earlier one:

hat6025.gif

I can't find any of the earlier ones right now - didn't like the stamp ones at all, btw...

Got two of the Westbrook releases, On Duke's Birthday & the live Rossini 2-disc set. Hm, both are OK--I'm keenest on the Duke tribute--but neither have become favourites with me. I like the opening track on ODB a lot, but some of the later ones less so, & the lyrics Kate W. sings are atrocious, though fortunately it's mostly an instrumental disc.

The o/p Hats I hope most they'll reissue are (1) Blake's Gershwin disc & (2) Cecil Taylor's Garden. I have the former but not the latter.

Just got a copy of 'On Duke's Birthday' on its way to me on LP. Looking forward to it !

It's done pretty decently on the hats, not really advertising, rather just saying thanks and having the small logo there - FBI warnings on US disks are far more annoying and are kind of an advertisment, too, aren't they? Also they suggest me, the paying customer, being a guilty criminal really...

As for the cover discussion, I think the current layout is by far the best. It's difficult to find older covers online, but the preceeding one was this:

hat6149.gifhat6155.gif

Here's an example of an earlier one:

hat6025.gif

I can't find any of the earlier ones right now - didn't like the stamp ones at all, btw...

That's the cover on my Braxton CD. The Clusone Three one I have (Soft Lights and Sweet Music) is in the style of the two top covers, but its an earlier issue on Hat Hut (the red spine with the little hat at the bottom). Maybe there was a transition there. I do like the Hatology issue of the Ayler over the older Hat Hat though-you can see the band pic in much better detail.

The layout changed to b/w pic w/orange text before the cardboard hatOLOGY series got started (the second of the Anderson/Doran/Benninks also has the new layout but is still part of the old series).

I didn't know if the Braxton was a CD or LP sleeve, though.

• 2 weeks later...

The one on the right looks like one of those fold-ups they did - pity I never bought any used vinyl of such releases when I had the chance!

Yes the one on the right was one of those folding boxes. I got that one when it came out.

I don't think Hat has reissued the 2nd lp from Braxton's Composition 98. The live version on that record is dandy. I do have the single cd issued, but still have the lps.

Guest donald petersen

mentioned it in another thread but man i am really enjoying my dodgy mp3s of joe mcphee's "the willsau concert". i hope this is reissued-a trio with mcphee, john snyder on synths and mkaya ntshoko (sorry i am spelling his name from memory but you know who i mean).

Guest donald petersen

i don't usually like duos but force really impressed me also.

and that is sorta late in the game for shepp, isn't it? i mean past many peoples "write-off" point for shepp.

and he's bringing it.

for all i don't like about roach, he brought the fire out of players-didn't he do a duet with a very aged dizzy gillespie that impressed?

• 2 weeks later...

For $5 a pop, I got the Portal and one of the Richard Grossmans (I like Even Your Ears), and for $6.50 I got the Giuffre. Not a bad deal!

I would also recommend the McPhee Tenor/Fallen Angels and the Brotzmann if you don't have them already... "tastes" depending, of course, but I think those are stunning dates. The Tony Ortega New Dance reissue is from a nice session also, originally on Revelation.

anyone wanna recommend some of the Jazz Loft sale Hat discs?

Here's a few:

Clusone 3 - An Hour With

Marc Copland - Haunted Heart

Marc Copland - And...

Dave Douglas Tiny Bell Trio - Constellations

Jim Giuffre - Emphasis/Flight

Franz Koglmann/Lee Konitz - We Thought About Duke

Lee Konitz - Thingin'

Joe Maneri - Tenderly

Mat Maneri - So What?

Joe McPhee - Oleo

Myra Melford - Even the Sounds Shine