Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
clifford_thornton

Pete Cosey RIP

21 posts in this topic

He was 68. RIP.

I need to investigate his work more deeply, but enjoy hearing him on those mid-70s Miles records.

Edited by clifford_thornton

Kinda sucks when the future dies. Yet, it happens every day.

RIP, and lord knows we thank you.

RIP to a GREAT musician and guitarist who was not bound by labels. Besides spending many hours listening to his recordings with Miles and others, I was fortunate to see him in Miles' band many times between '73 & '75. His playing was mesmerizing and liberating all at once.

RIP pete. What did he do after Miles? I don't think I've seen his name anywhere else.

Apparently worked here and there with Bill Laswell, Badal Roy, Akira Sakata, Melvin Gibbs, and in solo contexts, though he didn't record too much.

He's on that Miles from India thing.

shit! r.i.p. Pete Cosey

RIP pete. What did he do after Miles? I don't think I've seen his name anywhere else.

He's on an Akira Sakata disc titled 'Fisherman.com' with Laswell & Hamid Drake. Great disc, very hard to find.

Oh man, what a sad day. A true visionary and amazing musician. I'm surprised he lived until 68 - he was one huge dude. RIP.

What a damn shame. But he left some very fine music for us to enjoy. He's featured quite prominently on the 'Miles Electric' DVD in an interview and it was very good that they captured his thoughts/impressions on that one. RIP Mr Cosey and I'll pull out the 'Agharta' LPs by way of salute.

(Just remembered that he's also on the Phil Cohran 'On The Beach')

Edited by sidewinder

I love his contributions to the Miles band mentioned above. RIP

He's on an Akira Sakata disc titled 'Fisherman.com' with Laswell & Hamid Drake. Great disc, very hard to find.

Sad day!! - RIP Pete

he also played on Herbie Hancock's "Future Shock" (1983)

Damn, RIP. Was listening to "Miles From India", yesterday.

Mr.Cosey was a great and original guitarist who brought experimental and adventurous sounds to the blues. Especially love his playing on Muddy Waters' "After The Rain" album. RIP

A joint tribute to Doc Watson and Pete Cosey here:

http://culturecatch.com/music/doc-watson-pete-cosey

RIP. That man had a SOUND.

pete cosey

'The Chicago guitarist Pete Cosey, who died last Wednesday at 68, was far from a celebrity. Jazz fans know him for his distinctive work with Miles Davis in the 70s, but beyond that his name is unlikely to ring too many bells. Odds are that you've heard at least a little of his work, though, whether you know it or not. As a studio musician at Chess Records he played on some huge R&B hits, including "Rescue Me" by Fontella Bass and "Summertime" by Billy Stewart. In fact, he probably played on hundreds of great records for Chess during the 60s, but because he was a musician for hire, part of the house band, his name rarely appears in recording credits.'