Miles Davis: The Bootleg Series, volume 2

CJ Shearn

... I've always thought that 1969-1970 represented Miles' absolute peak as a trumpet player ...

:tup

I'd still love to hear the entire Miles at Fillmore set! Would make a nice next volume of the Bootleg Series! And then the 1971 and 1973 tours, please!

1964 would have been nice, too - but as it's PD over here in yurp, I guess it won't happen.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got my box today, all discs present. Already know the performances but looking forward to hearing them in a good cleand-up sound, but two nits to pick.

The little sticker blurby thingie on front (And yes, I save them, it's like an American obi or some such other collector fetishism) refers to this as The "Lost Band" (quotation marks and all) and I mean really? Has this band ever been known in general discourse as anything other than the "Lost Quintet"? SPLURT.

And then wtf no liner notes in a booklet/pamphlet/anything other than a foldout poster-like-size piece of paper? So, what, dad can sit in front of the fire in his robe and slippers like Savoy Cover Bird and smoke his pipe and read the evening liner notes? SCHWAAAT?

Other than that, this was one of the greatest bands ever, which in the end trumps all.

:crazy:

seems to be some German (?) law that every DVD or CD-set containing a DVD has to carry such a sticker ... in addition you'll get a piece of paper explaining the different categories (it was next to the poster in the slot that they thankfully "invented" in the time since Vol. 1 was released). The stickers look like this:

fsk-alterskennzeichen.png

Got mine today too, so far I'm on disc 1 the 7/25/69 Antibes show which I was familiar with. Man, the interplay of this band was unreal, when you thought the Second Quintet achieved that peak, especially with the first entry in this series, this band takes it so much higher. Theres a phrase Chick plays on "Directions" and Dave echoes it and runs with it, so great. And the wider range of material as well makes this really special.

Got my box today, all discs present. Already know the performances but looking forward to hearing them in a good cleand-up sound, but two nits to pick.

The little sticker blurby thingie on front (And yes, I save them, it's like an American obi or some such other collector fetishism) refers to this as The "Lost Band" (quotation marks and all) and I mean really? Has this band ever been known in general discourse as anything other than the "Lost Quintet"? SPLURT.

And then wtf no liner notes in a booklet/pamphlet/anything other than a foldout poster-like-size piece of paper? So, what, dad can sit in front of the fire in his robe and slippers like Savoy Cover Bird and smoke his pipe and read the evening liner notes? SCHWAAAT?

Other than that, this was one of the greatest bands ever, which in the end trumps all.

got mine with all discs included and good shape. Yes the liner notes are on the back of the poster - which I suppose is a dilemma if you want to put the poster up on your wall - but they are extensive, informative and unlike Bootleg #1 - they fit into the sleeve of the box (if that is the right way to say it?) so there is no problem about separation like there was with #1 ... now where is that damn booklet for #1.....

seems to be some German (?) law that every DVD or CD-set containing a DVD has to carry such a sticker ... in addition you'll get a piece of paper explaining the different categories (it was next to the poster in the slot that they thankfully "invented" in the time since Vol. 1 was released). The stickers look like this:

WOOHOO! Oh happy days! I don't care if I still have to wait (or save $12 either) because I already have the music & video anyway, and I'm getting a very extra special imported sticker! Suck on losers who ordered 'merkan! :party:

Health & Safety?

Health & Safety?

FSK = Freiwillige Selbstkontrolle der Filmwirtschaft, in English: voluntary self-regulation of the film industry. It's the German film classification.

The DVD with the BB 40th Anniversary and Legacy editions is from Copenhagen. They could have fit the Berliner Philharmonic set and the Copenhagen one on one DVD had they not issued it with those 2 sets I think. Great set Live in Europe 1969, I may like it better than Volume 1 but I'm glad to have both I ripped the discs to my harddrive for easier listening (staying with family, so I ripped a bunch of discs onto my HD) but watch the DVD separately. Not being able to put both volumes on the shelf side by side is driving me crazy, but it'll happen soon.

Edited by CJ Shearn

Perhaps late to the party, but I just received a parcel from http://salemusic.com/ where the price for the Miles Bootleg Vol. 2 was $29.95. Shipping there is a flat $5.95 per order, so I also picked up the Stan Getz Complete Columbia box, Tyner's Fly with the Wind, and a Cezanne hardcover. They also have the Complete Columbia boxes for Woody Shaw, Duke Ellington 1951-58, and Louis Armstrong Okeh etc. Nice to see fewer of the Past Perfect titles taking up space in their catalog.

I got my replacement set today from Amazon, so I can finally check out Disc 1. 2 & 3 are very good, even with the bootleggy sound. There is some fine trumpet by Miles!

Yes, the sound is on the bootleggy side - the liner notes say that there are "instances of distortion" I believe that is the phrase and it is an understatement. So like the Mingus Mosaic box the distortion is back, but the music is marvelous.

SInce most of Disc 1 of Bootleg #2 was out before in the Japanese only cd (mispelled "Festiva Juan Pins") which I have, I plan to compare the sound to the new box. Has anyone done that?