Joe Williams -- Basie band JW, that is

Larry Kart

Always respected and kind of enjoyed the Williams-Basie material, while feeling, based on some latter-day club experiences, that his heart really was in singing standards in a cool-warm hip manner. Recently picked up "Together/Have A good Time," which combines two fine albums he did with Harry Edison for Roulette in 1961, and that feeling was very much confirmed. BTW, I said cool-warm because even though his voice is a warm baritone, his laid-back more or less cool phrasing reminds me very much of the late lamented Buddy Stewart (b. 1922 -- he was a tenor), who sang with the Krupa and Barnet bands and died in a car crash at age 27. Stewart's hipness, as I think is the case with Williams, is all in the near-horn like phrasing, relaxed and quite saxophone-ish. I think that '60s Williams -- Roulette, RCA -- may be the place for me. Any suggestions?

This is the one. Real nice!

1453.jpg

JOE WILLIAMS

With

JULIAN "CANNONBALL" ADDERLEY- alto sax

NAT ADDERLEY- cornet

GEORGE DUKE-piano

WALTER BOOKER-bass

ROY Mac CURDY- drums

Plus

CAROL KAYE- electric bass

KING ERRISON -congas drums

SIDE ONE

Who She Do (Joe Williams) 4:35

Green Dolphin Street (Kaper & Washington) 4:59

Heritage (Duke Ellington) 3:22

Sad Song ( Will Tilghman) 4:40

SIDE TWO

Goin to Chicago Blues (Basie & Rushing) 6:45

A Beautiful Friendship (Kahn & Styne) 3:20

Yesterday , Today and Tomorrow (Tom Mac Intosh) 3:39

Tell me Where To Scratch (Joe Willians) 3:53

Produced by Nat Adderley & David Axelrod for Junat Production

Recorded before a live audience at Fantasy Studio "A" , Berkeley , Californie ,August 7,1973

Edited by marcello

41xZ1JaCYPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This is the one that made me realize how good he actually was - he fits into the vocalese concept of Lambert, Hendricks and Ross like hand in glove, and at the same time swings and grooves like he always did with the Basie Band. I need more of him - was that Fantasy with Cannonbal on CD?

Yeah, recently got the LHR & Williams from Japan - it's amazing!

The album with Jones/Lewis is another very fine one.

I'm not too fond of that twofer though - got to dig it out, it's been a while, might be time to refresh.

That album with Cannonball sure looks interesting!

This may be heresy but I really like him when he's not singing the blues.

I agree. That's among the reasons why he reminded me of that hip band singer Buddy Stewart, who might in fact have been an influence on the young Williams, given their ages and the era in which Stewart was popular before he died and was pretty much forgotten.

Did anybody ever notice what sounds like a major blooper in Joe Williams' recording of "ALright, OK, you Win" with the Basie band waxed for Clef on May 17, 1955?

First he sings the line

"I'll do anything you say - It's just got to be that way"

and in the next stanza

"Anything you say I'll do - Long as its's me and you"

But then, when that line comes up again the next time he goes

"Anything you'll do I'll say ... (which does not really make sense :blink: )

and there seems to be a split second of some snickering audible in his voice but then he catches up fast enough without losing his meter and finishes the line with

"Just got to be that way"

Intentional?

If so, a strange kind of put-on IMO.

I dunno ...

I have this version on a 70s U.K. Verve LP ("Swiingin' With THe count" - Verve Select 231711) but according to the Bruyninckx discography this is the master take. Bizarre ...

Bizarre ...

Naw, I wouldn't say 'bizarre'. Remember, it's not about perfection with Basie et alia, it's feeling. And that felt good, so why bother doing the whole thing again for a teeny tiny fluff? I wouldn't call it 'a major blooper'.

Remember, in 1955 recording was done right to mono -- no separate tracks, overdubs or punch-ins used for something like this. Even later, with multi-track recording, I'm guessing Basie (and other leaders of his generation) wouldn't bother to scrap a good whole take for something small.

Carol Kaye on electric bass? In addition to Walter Booker? Separate sessions? What's the deal there?

1339383276' post='1202068']

This is the one. Real nice!

1453.jpg

JOE WILLIAMS

With

JULIAN "CANNONBALL" ADDERLEY- alto sax

NAT ADDERLEY- cornet

GEORGE DUKE-piano

WALTER BOOKER-bass

ROY Mac CURDY- drums

Plus

CAROL KAYE- electric bass

KING ERRISON -congas drums

SIDE ONE

Who She Do (Joe Williams) 4:35

Green Dolphin Street (Kaper & Washington) 4:59

Heritage (Duke Ellington) 3:22

Sad Song ( Will Tilghman) 4:40

SIDE TWO

Goin to Chicago Blues (Basie & Rushing) 6:45

A Beautiful Friendship (Kahn & Styne) 3:20

Yesterday , Today and Tomorrow (Tom Mac Intosh) 3:39

Tell me Where To Scratch (Joe Willians) 3:53

Produced by Nat Adderley & David Axelrod for Junat Production

Recorded before a live audience at Fantasy Studio "A" , Berkeley , Californie ,August 7,1973

Given the fact that Williams was four years older than Buddy Stewart (b. 1918 vs. 1922) and was working as a pro in his teens, it's very unlikely that he was influenced by Stewart, as I suggested above. But their approach to standards was somewhat similar and hip (no finger-popping shtick, just flowing horn-like phrasing) -- similar IMO even though Williams was a baritone and Stewart a tenor.

• 6 months later...
  • 9 years later...
On 6/11/2012 at 10:22 PM, Larry Kart said:

Always respected and kind of enjoyed the Williams-Basie material, while feeling, based on some latter-day club experiences, that his heart really was in singing standards in a cool-warm hip manner. Recently picked up "Together/Have A good Time," which combines two fine albums he did with Harry Edison for Roulette in 1961, and that feeling was very much confirmed. BTW, I said cool-warm because even though his voice is a warm baritone, his laid-back more or less cool phrasing reminds me very much of the late lamented Buddy Stewart (b. 1922 -- he was a tenor), who sang with the Krupa and Barnet bands and died in a car crash at age 27. Stewart's hipness, as I think is the case with Williams, is all in the near-horn like phrasing, relaxed and quite saxophone-ish. I think that '60s Williams -- Roulette, RCA -- may be the place for me. Any suggestions?

I'm literally taking a break from writing a column about Joe Williams (ok, I'm procrastinating) to say that '60s Williams is absolutely the best. Leaving aside the record with Thad and Mel, which is in a category of one, the most rewarding chunk of his discography consists of the generally  overlooked RCA records -- particularly Jump for Joy and Me and the Blues and, though I think the arrangements are uneven, The Exciting Joe Williams. His best ballad singing is here and the blues numbers represent a definite advance from his Basie tenure. 

Try this. Oliver Nelson arrangement. All the top NY studio cats. 

Edited by Mark Stryker

Anything you do, I'll say it's just got to be that way.

43 minutes ago, Mark Stryker said:

I'm literally taking a break from writing a column about Joe Williams (ok, I'm procrastinating) to say that '60s Williams is absolutely the best. Leaving aside the record with Thad and Mel, which is in a category of one, the most rewarding of chunk of his discography are the generally  overlooked RCA records -- particularly Jump for Joy and Me and the Blues and, though I think the arrangements are uneven, The Exciting Joe Williams. His best ballad singing is here and the blues numbers represent a definite advance from his Basie tenure. 

Try this. Oliver Nelson arrangement. All the top NY studio cats. 

RCA mid-60s was on a very quiet roll...JW, JJ, Lockjaw, Wild Bill...and of course, Duke.