Things Written On Used LPs You've Picked Up

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My copy of Slide Hampton's 'Sister Salvation' (London Jazz Series UK) has the most wonderful message.

'This record is presented to Peter Cox by his father, on the occasion of the birth of his and Hilary's daughter, Ann Marie Cox, born Oct 6 Friday 1972. Pleasant listening Pete and a good life Ann Marie. XXXX'

Isn't that great?

The 6th of October is my birthday, too.

MG

That's amazing.

You should try to find her.

I have two interesting ones from a SF Bay Area perspective.

A Hampton Hawes lp with a stamp with Dick Conte's name and address on Grant St. in San Francisco, who was a famous dj at KJAZ.

The other is an lp by James Talley, Blackjack Choir signed "To Greil Marcus who started it all. All the (hard to read) Best?

James Talley." I picked them up in Berkeley so not a big surprise that these guys would have lps in the used market here.

My copy of this LP (which I got from Dan Gould, but who, I'm sure, was not the author))

!BUhY(p!!mk~$(KGrHgoH-DQEjlLl),B+BKN85UoNYQ~~_35.JPG

has the word 'RED' written on the front and back, in ornamental 3D block capitals.

Is it the name of a former owner, or a comment on the sleeve?

This one:

bill.jpg

has the word 'Pamm' (in red) on the back and front covers, as well as some incomprehensible gradings (I assume) for several of the tracks, viz:

Don't mess with Bill M6

Playboy theme M-5

Tarantula S-4

Goin' out of my head M-4

Willow weep for me M-

Ain't that a groove M7

What can one make of this?

MG

Another Larkin LP of mine was previously owned by a very insecure person indeed.

53974.jpg

He used red highlighter to illuminate is favourite (or unfavourite) tracks. This dates it, because I don't remember highlight pens being available in the mid sixties. He also wrote his name, Henry Taylor, in felt tip pen, but was evidently so worried that someone might steal the LP and erase his name that he stuck one of those labels that come out, in a strip, of a little machine with a wheel of letters on it (forget what they were called now) over his felt tip name.

MG

MG, could you post a scan of the writing? Tjader biographer and me perhaps know some people to verify whether it is Tjader's handwriting.

Nice album, btw, that grooves real hard. Willie Bobo handles the skins.

OK, I haven't yet bothered to connect my scanner to the new computer, so this will give me cause to do so. It'll be a day or so as daughter & grandsons have just turned up for lunch.

MG

I have one LP signed by Helen Humes, and another signed by Wild Bill Davidson - and I think another signed by Harry James.

Remember the one-hit wonder [i think] group, The Diamonds? They recorded "Little Darlin'" which was HUGE and is still played on the radio occasionally. I have a copy of the original album with the signatures of ALL the Diamonds on the front of the cover. Picked it up at a thrift store for $1. When I showed it to my daughter and raved about how great "Little Darlin'" was and played it for her she said "HUH?" Kids these days. :shrug[1]:

MG, could you post a scan of the writing? Tjader biographer and me perhaps know some people to verify whether it is Tjader's handwriting.

Nice album, btw, that grooves real hard. Willie Bobo handles the skins.

OK, I haven't yet bothered to connect my scanner to the new computer, so this will give me cause to do so. It'll be a day or so as daughter & grandsons have just turned up for lunch.

MG

Of course, I should have realised that my old scanner wasn't going to work with Windows 7, and the manufacturer has ceased to support that model.

This may take some time...

MG

Billy Goode signed the back cover on my copy of 'Roy and Diz' on Clef (with the great sketch by David Stone Martin) and also stamped his bar name adress

Billy's Bar

3445 Reading Road

Cincinnati 29, Ohio

Wonder what happened to that place (and its record albums)!

Here's another. This is a real good 'un.

$(KGrHqV,!lkE8Gn!WvI0BPKso-IGTQ~~60_3.JPG

My copy of this has a note on the back cover from Nat Dixon.

"To Kenny

You have been a good friend for years. I'm really honoured to have known you!

Tel XXX-XXXX Nat Dixon"

Kenny was such a good friend, he didn't keep this LP.

MG

Maybe he passed on?

Another one I have is not a jazz album but by a group that got included in the Paisley Underground in L.A. even though they were from Davis (Northern California), Thin White Rope. It's signed by everyone in the band to Frank who is thanked on the cover for being "rhythm guru." One of the notes says "Frank: What's it like to be a rhythm guru? Love, Jozef" Another one is "To Frank the plank groove dis thang!" signed "Roger Kunkel" At the bottom of the back cover it has Frank French :(

and that was before the interweb and emoticons. :rhappy:

The inside sleeve has a phone number for Little Charlie and the Nightcats a local blues band.

Roger Kunkel, the guitarist in TWR formed a band with some jazz influencesd called the Acme Rocket Quartet which used to play at a local club regularly but the broke up too. They put out a couple of albums, one of which I still have. Kunkel played a little trumpet and they sometimes played with a small television on a chair with them (with the sound down).