Suggest Some Wagner Instrumental Overture or Prelude Compilations

In the words of Mark Twain, Wagner's music isn't as bad as it sounds.

I am not an opera fan, but love what little Wagner instrumental music I've been exposed to.

Can anyone recommend a good comp or two that features reasonable samplings of his overtures and preludes? Looking for the better interpretations also. There are a bunch on Amazon but it's hard to know where to begin.

A 'clever' remark but completely inaccurate. Part of the misconception with Wagner is just hearing the grander overtures and 'bleeding chunks' which only tell a tenth of the story.

The piece that completely undermined my prejudice against Wagner a good 35 years ago was a recording of the prelude to Act III of Tristan - an incredibly haunting piece of music with a cor anglais pining out over a desolate shoreline.

I recently downloaded that Klemperer 2CD because it seemed to have the most comprehensive range with nice long excerpts. It doesn't have that Tristan Act III Prelude (not many do) nor any of the final scene of Gotterdammerung but it's very enjoyable.

This one gives you 20 minutes of the Gotterdammerung ending:

39708157.jpg

At some point give the operas a go - they're nowhere near as hard or breast beating as they appear. A bit of disbelief suspension and you're inside one of the most powerful streams of music I know.

This one's good too, though you only get 3 pieces:

51ZSJP28VSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Something I indeed plan to do in this lifetime. I'm more likely to experience these on DVD than on recording though.

Good plan. I spent the last month watching the Copenhagen recording of The Ring. Very powerful.

Actually, 'Die Meistersinger von Nurnberg' is probably the best place to start. Very warm and humane with fabulous tunes and one of the great spine-tingling vocal quintets. Spend 5 minutes with this:

I hate to say it, but Warners Brothers has undoubtedly warped my perception of these operas. Whichever version I'll end up watching, I will find myself waiting for Bugs and Elmer to show up, along with that ridiculous horse, and I will probably end up disappointed. ;) I'll do my best, though, promise.

Kill the Wabbit!

There's a 2 and a half minute version of The Ring here:

Sublime artistry.

Here's the Tristan Act III Prelude...just realised how much Sibelius got from this!

I have a feeling this Stokowski version was the one I first heard on a cheapo 'Wagner's Greatest Hits' disc in the 70s.

A 'clever' remark but completely inaccurate. Part of the misconception with Wagner is just hearing the grander overtures and 'bleeding chunks' which only tell a tenth of the story.

The piece that completely undermined my prejudice against Wagner a good 35 years ago was a recording of the prelude to Act III of Tristan - an incredibly haunting piece of music with a cor anglais pining out over a desolate shoreline.

I too used to think of Ride of the Valkyries and all that loud stuff, but then I heard

the Adagio for clarinet and string quartet and Siegfried Idyll, both of which are beautiful.

...but then I heard the Adagio for clarinet and string quartet...

Don't know that. Will have to look out.

Incidentally, it's the 200th anniversary of his birth in 2013. There should be enough box sets out to build your own Valhalla (or at least obscure a beautiful goddess).

...but then I heard the Adagio for clarinet and string quartet...

Incidentally, it's the 200th anniversary of his birth in 2013. There should be enough box sets out to build your own Valhalla (or at least obscure a beautiful goddess).

There is already this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Wagner-Complete-Operas-Limited-Edition/dp/B00980IA3M/

It's out over here, and much cheaper:

http://www.amazon.de/Wagner-Complete-Operas-Limited-Edition/dp/B00980IA3M/

I have a pile of Wagner orchestral collections. My favorite is Tennstedt.

As for Kenton, I don't particularly like Kenton Playing Kenton either. Hefti had a knack for making it sound like Kenton's band hadn't bothered to tune up.

Edited by Bigshot

• 3 months later...

I have a pile of Wagner orchestral collections. My favorite is Tennstedt.

As for Kenton, I don't particularly like Kenton Playing Kenton either. Hefti had a knack for making it sound like Kenton's band hadn't bothered to tune up.

I like Tennstedt's compilation a lot, but never bothered to compare with others, since I have full recordings of almost all the operas.

If you want to get an ideaof of the original orchestral sound and tempos, try Norrington:

71lI0Ss0LUL.jpg

The posters on Amazon UK got well worked up about that. Wonder if it's the same poster with an axe to grind!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wagner-Overtures-London-Classical-Players/dp/B000002RVJ/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1366522749&sr=1-1&keywords=wagner+norrington