miles65

Whole batch of Mosaic Selects and Singles running low

883 posts in this topic

On 17.7.2017 at 1:50 AM, J.A.W. said:

Had it but sold it, too much stuff I didn't care for or didn't like.

IIRC I'm now the lucky owner ... ;)

Gerry Mulligan and Rosemary Clooney sets are now last chance. The Charlie Parker Benedetti set is now running low.

2 hours ago, miles65 said:

The Charlie Parker Benedetti set is now running low.

Um... what? Mosaic owns the Charlie Parker Benedetti set. Why would that be going out of print?

1 hour ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Um... what? Mosaic owns the Charlie Parker Benedetti set. Why would that be going out of print?

The same reason they are letting other sets go OOP before the licsense times out or before the product sells out.

Kevin's point is that since Mosaic owns the Benedetti recordings the set should be available in perpetuity. To me its imminent deletion is the clearest sign yet that Mosaic is winding down.

1 hour ago, crisp said:

Kevin's point is that since Mosaic owns the Benedetti recordings the set should be available in perpetuity. To me its imminent deletion is the clearest sign yet that Mosaic is winding down.

Was coming here to say this EXACT thing. I just got the email and that is the first thing listed. 

The fire sale has begun. Only at full price for right now. 

2 hours ago, crisp said:

Yep. I thought exactly the same thing. I'm wondering seriously whether we'll see that promised Teddy Wilson set.

gregmo

Maybe the Benedetti Parker set sold not enough copies anymore per year to justify a reprint - that's what any label would consider.

2 hours ago, gmonahan said:

Yep. I thought exactly the same thing. I'm wondering seriously whether we'll see that promised Teddy Wilson set.

gregmo

Chick Webb: Rare Footage

There are only a couple of film clips showing footage of the great Chick Webb; we just have to listen to him - much of it on our Mosaic Chick Webb/Ella Fitzgerald boxed set. Here, however, is a short clip with some Louis Bellson commentary. High praise from the great Bellson and a nice segue into a very rare Benny Goodman Trio performance of China Boy from 1955 with yet another Chick Webb fanatic - Gene Krupa - along with the other original member of the Benny Goodman Trio, Teddy Wilson. Stay tuned for more Teddy Wilson on Mosaic!! -Scott Wenzel

The above from a Mosaic email received today highlighting the two sets moving to 'last chance'. However, note the last sentence, sounds positive.

If production of the Teddy Wilson set is far enough down the line it may make financial sense to see it through. I'm optimistic enough to believe that we could see a few more new sets beyond that one for the same reason. 

4 hours ago, crisp said:

If production of the Teddy Wilson set is far enough down the line it may make financial sense to see it through. I'm optimistic enough to believe that we could see a few more new sets beyond that one for the same reason. 

Hope really does spring eternal!

gregmo

Posted (edited)

The Woody Herman select made a come back on last chance.

The George Wein Single is now on last chance.

The Louis Armstrong Newport LP set now also immediatelly on last chance.

On the bright side the Goodman set is back in the catalogue

Edited by miles65
addition

A buddy of mine told me about the Woody Herman set this morning. I may have to pull the trigger on that one. 

6 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

A buddy of mine told me about the Woody Herman set this morning. I may have to pull the trigger on that one. 

I hope you did not waited to long because it's gone again.

Seriously?! 

I was honestly going to order it this evening...

My card was just charged for the Goodman Box.

3 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

Seriously?! 

I was honestly going to order it this evening...

Yes seriously, This is no laughing matter.

On 8/9/2017 at 1:27 PM, hbbfam said:

My card was just charged for the Goodman Box.

Mine has not, and I ordered on May 4. Did you order earlier?

Posted (edited)

19 hours ago, JSngry said:

Yes, several months ago.  I would send Scott an email.

Edited by hbbfam

21 hours ago, JSngry said:

I just placed an order over the phone for the Goodman Box, so not to worry, it is genuinely back in stock......could be an issue with your particular credit card company(May 4 is over 3 months ago).

If they don't charge the card until the order "ships", the date should not be relevant, correct? That's the whole point of pre-ordering an item that's back-ordered, I would think.

Email sent to the info@ inbox. Hoping to get another clear and concise answer from Fred. What I don't want to hear is that, well, your order is so old that we lost your CC info, it's been deleted. That would be really sucky, sucky and scary.

I don't expect to hear that, but the initial optics of this are not immediately reassuring.

Posted (edited)

I put in an order about a week ago - no email acknowledgement at time of the order and nothing since. Unusual..

Edited by sidewinder

Currently 10 of Mosaic's 25 remaining large set offerings are winding down - 7 in Running Low and 3 in the Last Chance Category.  The Turrentine is still listed as on back order, as is the JPJ - though I thought that was back in stock.  Only one set is on the way.  FWIW, on January 6 there were 34 big sets on offer

With 40% of their offerings being phased out - that seems to indicate that either they are closing their doors when current pressings and the one future set are sold out.  Or they are changing their business model to dramatically reduce offerings and manage re-pressings more effectively - meaning sets will be available for shorter periods of time.  Reduced inventory and a more compressed sales period certainly means less sales.  Perhaps that can me offset by lower overhead?

Isn't that a Japanese-ish style reissue rhythm? Offer everything but only in small supplies over limited but broadly recurring cycles?

Posted (edited)

On 12/08/2017 at 5:14 AM, sidewinder said:

I put in an order about a week ago - no email acknowledgement at time of the order and nothing since. Unusual..

Just heard from Scott that they are awaiting more JPJ set collations at the warehouse, due next week, before my order goes out. Issue sorted !

Edited by sidewinder