Marian McPartland 1918-2013

Mark Stryker

The Piano Jazz archives are a wonderful resource, if not always for performances, then for anecdotes, revealing of personalities, whatever, as much a revealing of the people as of the music.

Good point, and there were many shows that I wished could have been longer, because there was so much ground to cover in both departments.

Some of my favorite PJ episodes are ones that never made it to LP/CD. By the way, is it just me, or have the show's archives been thinned out rather drastically?

Besides being a great pianist/composer/radio host, she was an extraordinarily kind woman. My uncle worked at the same bank she used in LI, and gave her a tape I made of some of my tunes back in the 70s. She not only listened to it, but also wrote a very complimentary letter (that I still have), and offered to recommend me to Choice Records. I stupidly didn't take advantage of it, because I had a Jimmy Raney LP on Choice, and the sound was very bad, but will always remember her words of encouragement.

RIP Marian. Thanks for the great music and interviews on Piano Jazz...

Edited by sgcim

The Piano Jazz archives are a wonderful resource, if not always for performances, then for anecdotes, revealing of personalities, whatever, as much a revealing of the people as of the music.

Good point, and there were many shows that I wished could have been longer, because there was so much ground to cover in both departments.

Some of my favorite PJ episodes are ones that never made it to LP/CD. By the way, is it just me, or have the show's archives been thinned out rather drastically?

Many are hard to find. I am very much on the hunt for Ran Blake in 1994. NYPL has it on CD, but that's not much use to me.

Kind of shock, although it shouldn't be. She seemed like one of those people who would just live forever.

I admired her very much; although her music seldom touched me deeply, I always enjoyed it. One exception to that caveat is her 2007 album Twilight World. There are a few moments of rhythmic uncertainty, but there is an emotional depth to her playing that I seldom hear in her earlier work, fine as it is.

She was part of Alec Wilder's "inner circle" - her taste and respect for melody led Wilder to write pieces such as "Jazz Waltz for a Friend," "Homework," and, well, "Inner Circle" for her. This Alec Wilder fan is grateful.

The sum of her contributions to jazz were far greater than just her piano playing. RIP.

RIP

When I was about 22 years old, I met Marian McPartland after one of her shows. I told her I was an aspiring bass player. She was very encouraging and asked for my address saying she wanted to send me a little something. A few weeks later one of her LP's arrived in the mail for me with a very thoughtful note. Still is one of my prized possessions. What a great musician and beautiful human being!! Thanks Marian for all the music inspiration throughout the years!!

RIP

When I was about 22 years old, I met Marian McPartland after one of her shows. I told her I was an aspiring bass player. She was very encouraging and asked for my address saying she wanted to send me a little something. A few weeks later one of her LP's arrived in the mail for me with a very thoughtful note. Still is one of my prized possessions. What a great musician and beautiful human being!! Thanks Marian for all the music inspiration throughout the years!!

What a great story.

What a loss. RIP Marian. Thanks for all your music you gave us, and for all those years on Piano Jazz.

It's been a real bad few months for piano players. We've lost three great ones.

Now four:

Cedar Walton

Mulgrew Miller

George Duke

Marian McPartland

I enjoyed Piano Jazz for so many years. She was a truly self-effacing musician who truly enjoyed the give and take of playing with and interviewing the many musicians who appeared on her program, one of which I will especially note here was Michael Weiss in August of 1996. It's on a CD-R that I enjoy listening to from time to time.

Edited by MartyJazz

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been keeping up with this section, and did not realize she had passed. My wife and I greatly admired her playing and NPR show. Saw her in the 90's on a double bill with McCoy Tyner at the Keswick Theatre in suburban Philly. She played beautifully, and then at the end of the show did a duet section with Tyner where she held her own and they complimented each other's playing. Her recordings generally do touch deep parts of me. She lived her life wonderfully, and we're blessed by that life.