Classic Blue Notes on SHM-CD

David Ayers

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The comp? Are you referring to the Universal Miles Davis, which reissues all the Blue Note material Davis recorded in the first half of the 'fifties?

It's a very good looking package that has decent notes and music remastered for cd by Kevin Reeves from the Grundman transfers. I haven't yet compared the sound directly against that of the Japanese SHM-CD releases that preceded them, but the sound is very good. Nice photos in the booklet as well, a few I've never before seen.

I just put on the SHMs a bit. There is some noticeable shift in sound between sessions ('52 & '53 WOR studios vs '54 Van Gelder), and some slight shift between alternate and masters from the '53 WOR session, but I don't hear the significant difference between takes for the middle ('53) session, mjzee. (I no longer own the RVGs and those were never favourite Miles for me, so I have no memory of such a significant difference being present on the RVGs.)

Edited by erwbol

Yeah when I play a lot of these SHM CDs I don't feel as much desire to have them on vinyl...they sound very analog to me!

My experience with vinyl is mostly limited to Michael Jackson's Thriller which I got as a birthday present in 1982. My first record. :) In the eighties I used mostly cassette tapes. :lol:

I think they are just mastered from really good transfers on really good equipment by a qualified engineer. I picked up the new Miles Davis two cd set on Universal and it shares this sort of sound, and perhaps the same transfer engineering and engineer (on the Davis that is credited to Bernie Grundman).

This. Thumbs up to Bernie Grundman. With these transfers the Blue Note catalogue is save for the future.

Edited by erwbol

Okay, yes. I don't really think of that as a "comp" as it has the complete Blue Note sessions and nothing else. It will take me a bit of time to get back to it and say whether the "middle session" sounds inferior to the rest. There's an answer to that regarding the two separate Japanese SHM-CD reissues above.

never received an answer to my question about the 'take off' set, but....

a new batch of shm's in this series has been announced for a 10/22 release. they begin with the catalog number UCCQ-5033 which is byrd's 'fuego'. the remainder of the releases are certainly in that well worn path of previously available. 'merry ole soul' being the most unusual of the lot. sorry for the somewhat incomplete info - i'm out of town and running between here and there.

never received an answer to my question about the 'take off' set, but....

a new batch of shm's in this series has been announced for a 10/22 release. they begin with the catalog number UCCQ-5033 which is byrd's 'fuego'. the remainder of the releases are certainly in that well worn path of previously available. 'merry ole soul' being the most unusual of the lot. sorry for the somewhat incomplete info - i'm out of town and running between here and there.

Actually, they begin with UCCQ5031, Horace Silver's Blowing The Blues Away.

Roll Call, Workout, Mosaic, Takin' Off, Go!, Hub Tones, Page One, Free For All, Unity, Super Nova, My Point Of View, No Room For Squares, Idle Moments, Adam's Apple, The Prisoner, and more.

No Andrew Hill and only one Joe Henderson, but four new alternate takes for Unity!

Edited by erwbol