Nessa SPAM

Chuck Nessa

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I'll put my copy up tonight with a Buy It Now of $50.

Can I get another copy, Chuck?

<_<

Uh...yeah; could I put five copies on "hold", Chuck? I'll um...let you know where to ship them in a week or so... :g

My "buy it now" is still $15.

Someone recently bought 10 Art Ensemble boxes from me and I'll bet anything they show up on Ebay.

Having known the LP from the first, just wanted to say that the sound on the CD is a notable upgrade (particularly on Warne, for reasons that Chuck has explained) and that the alternate takes (first time I've heard them) are pretty mind-boggling; the multiple versions of "I Have A Good One For You" are like you're looking over the shoulder of Dr. Frankenstein and his rhythm section as he tries out various ways -- some of them extremely, beautifully strange -- to bring his baby to life. Not many times in the history of recorded jazz that you get to look behind the scenes like this; only one I can think of right now that comes close are those multiple solo-piano dissections of "'Round Midnight" that Monk recorded for Riverside before he made the take finally released.

. Not many times in the history of recorded jazz that you get to look behind the scenes like this;.

how about those multiple alternates of a blues number (Upstairs?/Downstairs?)on "Fuschia swing song" by Sam Rivers, you get a real sense of progress towards the finished article.

As I noted above I was intrigued to hear Levy use electric piano only on the last alternate take (before the master) , wonder why he tried it.....oh that's creativity for you....

As I noted above I was intrigued to hear Levy use electric piano only on the last alternate take (before the master) , wonder why he tried it.....oh that's creativity for you....

That recording of "Good One" was recorded after a couple of versions of "A Time For Love", as indicated by the take numbers. Lou simply stayed on the Rhodes for take 9.

That recording of "Good One" was recorded after a couple of versions of "A Time For Love", as indicated by the take numbers. Lou simply stayed on the Rhodes for take 9.

was there a run down on this on this thread or somewhere closeby? I can't seem to find it now. I hope it's part of the linernotes.

That would be cool. (so we now what we missed out on... ;) )

I just found back your post from feb 20 in this very thread (link), which shows some of what I was thinking of.

I think I mixed this up with some linernotes I read recently of a completely unrelated CD. Sorry for that, but please, do bring it on Chuck!

Edited by couw

Friday, Feb. 20, 1976

Takes

1 Lunarcy

2 I Have a Good One (fs)

3 I Have a Good One (fs)

4 I Have a Good One

5 I Have a Good One

6 I Have a Good One

7 A Time For Love

8 A Time For Love

9 I Have A Good One

10 317 E 32nd (incomplete)

11 317 E 32nd

12 Background Music

Saturday, Feb. 21, 1976

13 I Have a Good One

14 On Purpose

15 On Purpose

16 On Purpose

17 Subconscious-Lee (fs)

18 Subconscious-Lee

19 A Time For Love (incomplete)

20 317 E 32nd (fs)

21 317 E 32nd (incomplete)

22 317 E 32nd

23 Background Music (incomplete)

24 Background Music

25 Lunarcy

26 Easy Living

27 Easy Living (incomplete)

28 Easy Living

29 A Time For Love (fs)

30 A Time For Love (incomplete)

31 A Time For Love (incomplete)

Edited by Chuck Nessa

Hey, I'm extremely happy you didn't throw in all the extra stuff but used some discretion instead--I really hate the baggy monsters that Columbia &c like to make out of reissues. The "Good One" takes are a very interesting sequence--you can hear them trying out diffierent approaches (halftime vs walking on the head, e.g.); & you can hear that Marsh's obliquity on the opening cadenza is giving the others a little trouble in finding "one", so he straightens his approach on the intro out on the later takes (#9 in particular). I like Marsh's solo on take 5 a lot, though eventually the musicians get out of sync.

Anyway, a really welcome reissue. The doubletime section of "Lunarcy" is pretty scary! & "Easy Living" is one of Marsh's best ballad readings I've heard.

I am listening to this one at this very moment. I was struck by the buzzing beeline Marsh takes on the head of the first track. His soloing (the little I have heard) I find has this quality of going in, backing up, circling, and falling on top; he continually seems to pushing and stretching and I like that a lot. But as he is doing it on the theme statement of the head I can indeed imagine the other players not finding his "one" that easily. I'm looking forward to hear the rest of this disk.

thus far :tup

I am listening to this one at this very moment. I was struck by the buzzing beeline Marsh takes on the head of the first track. His soloing (the little I have heard) I find has this quality of going in, backing up, circling, and falling on top; he continually seems to pushing and stretching and I like that a lot. But as he is doing it on the theme statement of the head I can indeed imagine the other players not finding his "one" that easily. I'm looking forward to hear the rest of this disk.

thus far :tup

So you finally got it. Any idea why it took so long?

So you finally got it. Any idea why it took so long?

none. no customs tag or re-sealing, nothing whatsoever. So it must have been the mail service somewhere along the long line.

I'm glad it's here now though, as I am really digging this Marsh disk.

Yep, it's great, no doubt about it :tup