"How Verve Got Gutted"

1426299309590.cached.jpg

The Daily Beast

How Verve Records Got Gutted
The record label of Billie Holiday and Ella Fitzgerald just got swallowed by a hip-hop business… and no one even noticed!

The announcement could hardly have been hidden any better. Slipping the news into the second paragraph of a press release about a management change, Universal Music disclosed last week that most of the day-to-day responsibility for the once great Verve label has been absorbed by its hip-hop and pop operations. Interscope Geffen A&M, the home of Eminem and Lady Gaga, “is now responsible for Verve’s sales, marketing and film and TV licensing.”

What a strange turn of events! Interscope, founded in 1989 by Jimmy Iovine, first made its mark in the music world as the in-your-face label of gangsta rappers—although later corporate moves have broadened its catalog to include a range of pop and rock acts. Verve, in contrast, started out as a posh home for jazz stars who played the classic songs of George Gershwin, Irving Berlin, Cole Porter, and other craftsman tunesmiths of the Golden Age of America popular music. Even the most optimistic jazz fan must cringe at the prospects of a shotgun marriage between these different organizations with their contrasting traditions.

Full article

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/03/14/how-verve-records-got-gutted.html?via=desktop&source=twitter

never knew david fosters running verve-- and now don was is head of Blue Note--- david foster. don was......i can totally call the next president of World Pacific........

1782161.jpg

Would work for me. Spirit made a lot of great music, and Jo Jo Gunne a lot of good music,. as opposed to Toto or Was Not Was!

Edited by felser

1426299309590.cached.jpg

The Daily Beast

Ted Gioia

How Verve Records Got Gutted

The record label of Billie Holiday and Ella Fitzgerald just got swallowed by a hip-hop business and no one even noticed!

The announcement could hardly have been hidden any better. Slipping the news into the second paragraph of a press release about a management change, Universal Music disclosed last week that most of the day-to-day responsibility for the once great Verve label has been absorbed by its hip-hop and pop operations. Interscope Geffen A&M, the home of Eminem and Lady Gaga, is now responsible for Verves sales, marketing and film and TV licensing.

What a strange turn of events! Interscope, founded in 1989 by Jimmy Iovine, first made its mark in the music world as the in-your-face label of gangsta rappersalthough later corporate moves have broadened its catalog to include a range of pop and rock acts. Verve, in contrast, started out as a posh home for jazz stars who played the classic songs of George Gershwin, Irving Berlin, Cole Porter, and other craftsman tunesmiths of the Golden Age of America popular music. Even the most optimistic jazz fan must cringe at the prospects of a shotgun marriage between these different organizations with their contrasting traditions.

Full article

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/03/14/how-verve-records-got-gutted.html?via=desktop&source=twitter

That is truly sad. A music label devoted to the soul of music being managed by a label that focuses on what can be hardly called music.

The movie industry focuses primarily on movies with commercial potential, the record industry focuses primarily on music with commercial potential. Since these are businesses that seems to me to be their primary reason for existing. Independent record labels and independent film studios are where most of the "art" comes from.

I'm not defending them, I'm just stating the reality since all the major film studios and record labels are just part of huge corporate conglomerates. Sure, I wish it was still Metro Goldwyn Mayer instead of "Sony Pictures", but that's just not the reality any longer. Bemoaning what once was isn't going to change the present.

Now that I think about it, I don't think I've purchased a record on the Verve label that was recorded after Creed Taylor left.

Can anyone think of a jazz one that is any good?

Released on or through Verve, good-to-excellent (or better) records by:

• Joe Henderson
  • Shirley Horn
  • Helen Merrill
  • Abbey Lincoln
  • Charlie Haden (both with and apart from Quartet West)
  • Ornette Coleman
  • Herbie Hancock
  • Bobby Hutcherson
  • Wayne Shorter
  • J.J. Johnson
  • Rodney Kendrick
  • Jackie McLean
  • McCoy Tyner
  • Dewey Redman/Cecil Taylor/Elvin Jones
  • Randy Weston

All from the 1990s on.

People might have good reasons for not buying some (or even all) of these, but "there wasn't anything worth considering" ain't gonna be one of them,

Verve, like many major labels in the 1990s, had a quite stellar jazz line, as Jim's list proves. There is a lot to enjoy and explore, especially since all of this music went OOP very quickly and has been rather lost to time. RCA, A&M, Blue Note, Ryko, Columbia.

Hell, I'll make a thread!

Exactly. And what I meant by stuff being released "through" Verve, Verve had licensing agreements with Birdology & Gitane and who else, that allowed them to release product to the American market at less cost than if they produced it themselves.

Blue Note had the same kind of thing with Something Else out of Japan.

Now that I think about it, I don't think I've purchased a record on the Verve label that was recorded after Creed Taylor left.

Can anyone think of a jazz one that is any good?

Released on or through Verve, good-to-excellent (or better) records by:

• Joe Henderson
  • Shirley Horn
  • Helen Merrill
  • Abbey Lincoln
  • Charlie Haden (both with and apart from Quartet West)
  • Ornette Coleman
  • Herbie Hancock
  • Bobby Hutcherson
  • Wayne Shorter
  • J.J. Johnson
  • Rodney Kendrick
  • Jackie McLean
  • McCoy Tyner
  • Dewey Redman/Cecil Taylor/Elvin Jones
  • Randy Weston

All from the 1990s on.

People might have good reasons for not buying some (or even all) of these, but "there wasn't anything worth considering" ain't gonna be one of them,

Johnny Griffin - Chicago, New York, Paris (1995)

Stanton Moore - Flyin' The Koop (2002)